Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

Last night I watched  Don’t Breathe (2016)  1hr 28. A US made film.  

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4160708/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3  

It's listed as crime, thriller, horror.
Now while horror doesn't appeal to me one iota, (I end up laughing and annoying others watching) I think it would much better described as 'suspense' instead.
I was pleased I ignored the 'horror' tag on IMDB. I really felt it was worthy of being compared a film by the master himself - Hitchcock.

There's apparently a sequel coming out on 13 August 2021. Oddly enough it's called Don’t Breathe 2.

If anyone else has any recommendations, please add them.

Edited by Mike-Hunt
  • Like 1

The Courier. Put it on yer watch list.  Excellent.

The Courier tells the "true story of the British businessman who helped MI6 penetrate the Soviet nuclear programme during the Cold War. Wynne and his Soviet source, Oleg Penkovsky (codenamed Ironbark), provided crucial intelligence that ended the Cuban Missile Crisis."[4]

Wynne is approached by a spy from MI6 and a spy from the CIA and asked to pose as a business partner of Oleg Penkovsky in order to gain intelligence relating to Soviet missiles being transported to Cuba. In the end, both Wynne and Penkovsky are caught and Penkovsky admits betraying his country while insisting Wynne as a courier knows nothing of the intelligence passed on, which supports Wynne's claim of no wrongdoings

• Like 3

On 7/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, Santa said:

Excellent? It was okay.  I watched a little more than half of it...and it didn't compel me to come back and finish it.  I deleted it last night, unfinished.

Some time back I downloaded 'Mr Inbetween'. I took an instant to dislike to the lead actor and only watched the first episode. Running short of stuff to watch I tried again to get into it. I'm glad I did. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Memoria

Hasn't been released yet, but did very well at Cannes.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/15/memoria-review-apichatpong-weerasethakul-tilda-swinton

Directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apichatpong_Weerasethakul

That's interesting, I was incorrectly expecting it to be a Thai film.
I see the Guardian wrote, "This is the first movie that Weerasethakul has made outside Thailand and with a non-Thai cast."

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:
On 7/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, Santa said:

Excellent? It was okay.  I watched a little more than half of it...and it didn't compel me to come back and finish it.  I deleted it last night, unfinished.

Fair enough, we all have our own tastes. At least we know our own favourites, and the films to avoid.
As someone once described it: YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Films that do nothing for me are sci-fi, and films with pointless violence.
I enjoy films with a good plot, comedies, true stories too - like The Courier.

• Like 1

'People Just Do Nothing' I haven't seen a good Brit comedy for a long time but this changed that.  I absolutely loved the guy that played 'Chadbuddy G'.

Edited by Santa
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Santa said:

'People Just Do Nothing' I haven't seen a good Brit comedy for a long time but this changed that.  I absolutely loved the guy that played 'Chadbuddy G'.

Yes, I see that's been very popular, there's fives series: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3762198/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_10    
Plus it looks like a follow on film(?) from that, out in August:   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11376010/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3 

• Like 1

Going UK retro................. started watching the first episode of Inspector Morse (with the excellent John Thaw) and Sherlock (with the equally excellent Benedict Cumberbatch)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Going UK retro................. started watching the first episode of Inspector Morse (with the excellent John Thaw) and Sherlock (with the equally excellent Benedict Cumberbatch)

Inspector Morse will keep you busy. There were seven series of that. All good stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike-Hunt said:

Inspector Morse will keep you busy. There were seven series of that. All good stuff.

They should at least keep me occupied until the next series of Peaky Blinders is released.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

They should at least keep me occupied until the next series of Peaky Blinders is released.

That will be series 6.
The last I heard it was due to be screened 'later this year'. I wonder if anyone has seen a date published anywhere?

1 hour ago, Mike-Hunt said:

Loved 'Morse'.

At the time of the series I was living in Oxford, & of course knew the places that were filmed.

Happy times...long gone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

Dear gawd ..what is happening?

New movie starring Nicolas Cage...& It's got good reviews!

It's called:

Pig

Yeah, I've always been a Nicolas Cage fan. He does seem to have lost his appeal in recent years though, so I understand your comment.

I've just d/l the film, although I see it's not due for release until 20 August.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

Yeah, I've always been a Nicolas Cage fan. He does seem to have lost his appeal in recent years though, so I understand your comment.

Yes, I agree > Nicolas Cage has a stage presence that uplifts even mediocre scripts. 

For us Thailand-stayers of particular appeal is of course the 2008 Pang-brothers movie 'Bangkok Dangerous'.   in which Nicolas Cage plays Joe, a professional freelance contract killer who works strictly by the rules; never socializing outside his work, staying secluded in quiet spots, never interacting or meeting with his handlers and always leaving on time without a trace. He usually hires young pickpockets or small-time criminals as his local help, whom he usually murders after the end of the job to prevent any identification. He uses multiple aliases and also has middlemen between him and his handlers. He also carries a watch to perform a hit in specific time and correctly visualizes his every target.

10 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I liked him National Treasure and The Book of Secrets

I've obviously been missing out on these two Nicolas Cage films, I hadn't heard of either of them.
I'm guessing the second one follows on from the first?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368891/         https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465234/   

10 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

I've obviously been missing out on these two Nicolas Cage films, I hadn't heard of either of them.
I'm guessing the second one follows on from the first?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368891/         https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465234/   

Yep....the second one is a sequel - but largely unrelated. Also features Jon Voight and Helen Mirren as Cage's estranged parents.

Entertaining if don't mind a light theme. They will never win Oscars but are worthy of about 3 hours of your time.

Edited by Chaimai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cage did so much garbage because he had tax bills he had to pay and took just about everything thrown his way for a while.

I did enjoy The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

This past week I watched: 

148069659_Underthevolcano.thumb.jpg.e3cf1a5471babe5746af087769c2c121.jpg

The story of George Martin's AIR studios in Montserrat.  Good stuff.

I just d/l McCartey 3, 2, 1, a 6-part series with famed producer Rick Rubin.

For Beatles fans...it's great.

• Thanks 2