Double pricing

PhayakPeter

My Thai wife made a reservation booking for a ASQ hotel in Pattaya for ฿34000, when she returned copies of the flight e ticket and her passport as requested the hotel sent an email apology for not realising that she was Thai, and ammend the price to ฿27500. 

Do Tim and the guests consider this to be racism?  and what message does this send to the tourists they so desperately need?

• Like 1

Perhaps there's still some form of Thai sponsorship. As first everything was for free.
Now they already pay some money perhaps the different (6500) is sponsored by the gov't?

• Like 3

This isn't only about ASQ...every time we travel, my wife does the booking because when I call I always get that full farang price, maybe even a premium on top of that.

The wife, being Thai, get's the local price and is quite happy to ask for and receive a discount.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Yeah, this is pretty common. My SO paid Thai price (10-15% less) for ASQ at the same hotel I was at. I think a lot of it is because she's covered by the Thai health plan so the tests and monitoring cost the ASQ facility less.

@MrStretch, you have to use the Thai language sites, not the English ones. That's where all the juicy deals are. (Or Agoda...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Double pricing is an issue no matter what you're doing in the country.  Always have your Thai spouse or partner do all the bookings or inquiries.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 5:34 PM, PhayakPeter said:

My Thai wife made a reservation booking for a ASQ hotel in Pattaya for ฿34000, when she returned copies of the flight e ticket and her passport as requested the hotel sent an email apology for not realising that she was Thai, and ammend the price to ฿27500. 

Do Tim and the guests consider this to be racism?  and what message does this send to the tourists they so desperately need?

Are you complaining because she was offered a discount?

Try parts of the West for outrageous double-pricing, like Venice!

On the other hand, if I go to Aus as a tourist I can get cheaper train tickets and medical cover than I can if I'm there as an Aussie!

Stonker

Apparently Venice now make the Venetians pay the same prices as the tourist, There is no double pricing now.

This is because there are so many tourists the traders see no reason to give residents cheaper prices. Sad.

This is in Traveler.com.au

On 7/11/2021 at 11:34 AM, PhayakPeter said:

Oh yes definitely, and this will become the elephant in the room as shown in another item of news.

All businesses run on goodwill. This double prices have not affected Thai tourist incomes much because Thais have applied them by fraud. The fraud is that they show the lower Thai price in Thai script that most tourists cannot read,

However as this scam, because that is what it is, becomes common knowledge many tourists will not visit these businesses even if offered the Thai price. The goodwill has gone.

Result, Phuket Thais have to resort to fishing, farming, and picking up cans. Along with begging and scavenging, I hope.

Well you could try the backwards system in the USA.  If you are a lifelong resident of California but at age 17 your parents move to the adjacent state of Arizona and you apply to a college back in California lets say UCLA.  The tuition for a in state student is $13,258 USD.  Despite being a lifelong California resident you are now a non-resident and your tuition would be $29,754,   However, if you are 17 sneak across the border and entry the country illegally and are accepted into UCLA, you get in state tuition.  Now it does not matter what state you crossed into illegally.  You could have come into Florida, Arizona, Texas, or California and since you are "illegal"  you are for California tuition purposes "in state" 

Posted (edited)

I think everywhere in the world does it, Back in the UK years ago my mother owned a couple hotels in Blackpool and if I used to go on the weekends go round the corner to the chippy Id get discount the guy classed me being a local

Edited by Lowseasonlover

56 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I think everywhere in the world does it, Back in the UK years ago my mother owned a couple hotels in Blackpool and if I used to go on the weekends go round the corner to the chippy Id get discount the guy classed me being a local

Yea but bet you got the greasy scraps though 

On 7/11/2021 at 3:34 AM, PhayakPeter said:

This happened to us yesterday. My S.O. booked her ASQ based on a "Thai Citizen's Price" and then got a further 5% off of that. So, we ended up saving a couple hundred US$ on a two-week stay. That's a good thing. I've got no problem with people who have paid into the health care system with their taxes getting a break on price when they need to use those same systems.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, TobyAndrews said:

Oh yes definitely, and this will become the elephant in the room as shown in another item of news.

All businesses run on goodwill. This double prices have not affected Thai tourist incomes much because Thais have applied them by fraud. The fraud is that they show the lower Thai price in Thai script that most tourists cannot read,

However as this scam, because that is what it is, becomes common knowledge many tourists will not visit these businesses even if offered the Thai price. The goodwill has gone.

Result, Phuket Thais have to resort to fishing, farming, and picking up cans. Along with begging and scavenging, I hope.

Lol, the travel pass card in Venice has a fixed 10 Euro activation fee for everybody, but on top of that now there are 4 extra price tiers to use the ferry system (when I used it 10 years ago there were 3, no distinction between island and land residents)::

- Residents of Venice island: free

- Residents of Venice Metropolitan Area, and students living there: +10 €

- Residents of Veneto region: +30 €

- Others: +90 €

• Like 1

All these excuses for Thais charging foreigners more fail, because the Thais hide the fact by using Thai script on the admission boards, or in the case of hotels, keep Thai prices secret.

Thais know it is wrong, which is proved by them hiding prices. 2price Thailand makes it clear that foreigners should have the right to choose, which is denied them by the Thais hiding Thai prices.

40 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

All these excuses for Thais charging foreigners more fail, because the Thais hide the fact by using Thai script on the admission boards, or in the case of hotels, keep Thai prices secret.

Thais know it is wrong, which is proved by them hiding prices. 2price Thailand makes it clear that foreigners should have the right to choose, which is denied them by the Thais hiding Thai prices.

At least Bangkok Hospital Pattaya are more direct - if you don't look Asian the price is doubled...

This from a friend..

"My daughter half Thai half English, but is fair skinned had a 12 hour stay in the Pattaya hospital a few years ago. They mistook her for a farang and the cost 20,000bt. When she produced her Thai ID card, it came down to 7,000bt!"

• Like 3

On 7/19/2021 at 8:42 PM, Tuvoc said:

Unlike most people I don't have an issue with double-pricing. It is their country so they set the rules.

So Tuvoc if your stood behind a Thai in a street vendor fried Chicken spot he buys 2 pieces of chicken for 60 tbt you ask for the same 2 pieces of chicken, yet you pay 120 tbt would that not be an issue for you Tuvoc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vlad said:

So Tuvoc if your stood behind a Thai in a street vendor fried Chicken spot he buys 2 pieces of chicken for 60 tbt you ask for the same 2 pieces of chicken, yet you pay 120 tbt would that not be an issue for you Tuvoc.

No it wouldn't.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, thai3 said:

How about 10x pricing?

bbb.jpeg

But what's lacking is context. If this is a facility, like a national park, that is supported by Thai taxpayers in addition to visitor fees then I've got no problem with Thais getting a break.

But what's lacking is context. If this is a facility, like a national park, that is supported by Thai taxpayers in addition to visitor fees then I've got no problem with Thais getting a break.

It's the foreigner being grossly over charged not the Thais getting in cheaper because a minority of them pay tax. If it was a tax break then what about the foreigners paying tax? as they would be 'supporting' these crappy national parks just as much as Thais.

It's the foreigner being grossly over charged

Day rate on the US National Park system is US$10 - 15 per person and $20-30 per car. $6 for a Thai park fee is cheaper than a Coke at the concession stand in the US.

because a minority of them pay tax.

You forget that much of the revenue comes from VAT. It's the largest single category and makes up about 1./2 of total tax revenue.

If it was a tax break then what about the foreigners paying tax? as they would be 'supporting' these crappy national parks just as much as Thais.

I agree completely with you here. This is a legit gripe and one that should be addressed.