Pizza!

uanmak

There is nothing better than a pizza made in my home country, but also outside Italy it is possible to enjoy a good one. Every time I travelled I was curious to find places who could serve great pizzas. Even if Thailand is invaded by Pizzahut, Domino, and the Pizza Company, it is still possible to get some real ones.

Here is my list of favourite places in Bangkok, in my order of preference:

Il Bolognese (Sathon 7 Alley, BTS Chong Nonsi): quite off the regular roads in Silom area, both entrances at Lane 3 and Soi Phra Pinit are accessible. My favourite overall, a bit upscale in style, but the pizzas are fabulous, both dough and ingredients are really top quality, which comes at a price.

Websitehttps://ilbolognesebangkok.com/

Limoncello (Sukhumvit 11, BTS Nana): located almost at the end of the lane in front of Grand President Hotel. The atmosphere inside is like a real trattoria. Italian owner but local staff at the oven. Ingredients are very good, I find the dough a bit thin but the total result is excellent. Cheaper than Il Bolognese.

Websitehttp://www.zanottigroup.com/pizzeria-limoncello.html

Bella Napoli (Sukhumvit 31, BTS Phrong Pong): I went only once, and the place seemed a bit old in terms of design and furniture. However the products were very good and the price affordable. 

Websitehttps://www.facebook.com/bellanapoli.bkk/

In Phuket, I can only indicate Salute (58/6 Soi Patong): in a strategic location few meters off Bangla, but Google Map reports it as currently closed. From the outside it looks like one of those tourist places with high prices and low quality, but instead they serve fantastic pizza at an appropriate price. The owner is Italian, residing here from over 25 years, with a lovely family.

Do you know other places where pizza is not junk?

Edited by uanmak

18 minutes ago, uanmak said:

There is nothing better than a pizza made in my home country, but also outside Italy it is possible to enjoy a good one. Every time I travelled I was curious to find places who could serve great pizzas. Even if Thailand is invaded by Pizzahut, Domino, and the Pizza Company, it is still possible to get some real ones.

Here is my list of favourite places in Bangkok, in my order of preference:

Il Bolognese (Sathon 7 Alley, BTS Chong Nonsi): quite off the regular roads in Silom area, both entrances at Lane 3 and Soi Phra Pinit are accessible. My favourite overall, a bit upscale in style, but the pizzas are fabulous, both dough and ingredients are really top quality, which comes at a price.

Websitehttps://ilbolognesebangkok.com/

Limoncello (Sukhumvit 11, BTS Nana): located almost at the end of the lane in front of Grand President Hotel. The atmosphere inside is like a real trattoria. Italian owner but local staff at the oven. Ingredients are very good, I find the dough a bit thin but the total result is excellent. Cheaper than Il Bolognese.

Websitehttp://www.zanottigroup.com/pizzeria-limoncello.html

Bella Napoli (Sukhumvit 31, BTS Phrong Pong): I went only once, and the place seemed a bit old in terms of design and furniture. However the products were very good and the price affordable. 

Websitehttps://www.facebook.com/bellanapoli.bkk/

In Phuket, I can only indicate Salute (58/6 Soi Patong): in a strategic location few meters off Bangla, but Google Map reports it as currently closed. From the outside it looks like one of those tourist places with high prices and low quality, but instead they serve fantastic pizza at an appropriate price. The owner is Italian, residing here from over 25 years, with a lovely family.

Nice post but don't put your head in a pizza oven after your team get beat tonight

24 minutes ago, uanmak said:

BACCO on Suk 53, Thonglor is excellent.  Their revolving pizza oven is quite unique.

CANTINA on Suk 11 also good.  Same owner as Above11 and Havana Club, all within 100m of each other so not unusual to see staff shared around during off-peak times.

18 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

BACCO on Suk 53, Thonglor is excellent.  Their revolving pizza oven is quite unique.

CANTINA on Suk 11 also good.  Same owner as Above11 and Havana Club, all within 100m of each other so not unusual to see staff shared around during off-peak times.

'not unusual to see staff shared around during off-peak times'

I had to read that twice to realise quite what you meant. I assume that's shared between the restaurants, rather than some sexual deviancy?

• Haha 3

Just now, Mike-Hunt said:

I had to read that twice to realise quite what you meant. I assume that's shared between the restaurants, rather than some sexual deviancy?

I like the way you think ?

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, gummy said:

Nice post but don't put your head in a pizza oven after your team get beat tonight

If we win both Wimbledon and the final, we may be able to serve a 2-0 Pizza (like to one to Germany at the World Cup 2006 ahahahah)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, uanmak said:

If we win both Wimbledon and the final, we may be able to serve a 2-0 Pizza (like to one to Germany at the World Cup 2006 ahahahah)

Didn't realise the Italian football team were at the Wimbledon final, spectators perhaps on Sunday given free entry to cheer  you up ?

My ex wanted to open a pizza restaurant as she said there was a lot of dough in it .. I said donuts will top that for dough .. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Didn't realise the Italian football team were at the Wimbledon final, spectators perhaps on Sunday given free entry to cheer  you up ?

No, we have an Italian finalist, against Nole... first time in history.

38 minutes ago, uanmak said:

Apologies then because I don't follow tennis, After your post I see who he is up against so I sincerely hope your man wins. What time is kick-off/bully off/tee off/bats up or what ever its called. Oh I know isn't it hold your balls in the mans game ?

58 minutes ago, uanmak said:

Professional tennis-player routine

Professional Tennis player routine.jpg

How is The Pizza Company?  I have legitimately never bothered trying it.  I keep hearing the crust is sweet, sounds kinda weird.

Pizza like so many foods, is down to a personal taste. I personally love the taste of wood-fired pizza, however tastes vary also greatly from country to country.

There seems to be only one time we don't disagree on the taste as much.....when we are really drunk.

Then the pizza we are eating at the time is the best pizza in the whole world!

Edited by Smithydog

7 hours ago, TiT said:

How is The Pizza Company?  I have legitimately never bothered trying it.  I keep hearing the crust is sweet, sounds kinda weird.

Yes too sweet and their 'cheese' topping isn't 100% cheese ... made for Thai's.  Horrible.

Was having a Wine Connections pizza one time, they're ok. and the Thai man (30'ish) poured 1/3 of a tomato sauce bottle on his even before tasting it.  Sacrilege.

Viva Pizza in Chiang Mai, about 10km's south of the city, is popular and they also do the most awesome, and in my opinion most authentic tiramisu.  

Pizza!!!!!! Best pizza in Thailand is the one i make myself, wife loves them.

Thin crust, tomato puree, made myself, ham, sausage, smoky bacon etc, plus lashings of motzerrella cheese, absolutely delicious.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

My ex wanted to open a pizza restaurant as she said there was a lot of dough in it .. I said donuts will top that for dough .. 

554 -1 for the corny topping

• Haha 1

I see a lot of expats wanting to build their own stone pizza ovens.  I wonder if this is a reflection of the overall difficulty of finding a proper pizza in Thailand.  I rarely end up eating pizza, I've been pretty disappointed in the places I have tried, so it has put me off for the most part.

7 minutes ago, TiT said:

I see a lot of expats wanting to build their own stone pizza ovens.  I wonder if this is a reflection of the overall difficulty of finding a proper pizza in Thailand.  I rarely end up eating pizza, I've been pretty disappointed in the places I have tried, so it has put me off for the most part.

Ah, the new stone age. The wheel can't be far off now. ?

4 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

It's all a cycle, isn't it?  Fascinating really.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TiT said:
12 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

It's all a cycle, isn't it?  Fascinating really.

There's bound to be someone pedalling their wares nearby.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:19 AM, TiT said:

If you try one of their "local" derivations you can encounter a lot of weirdness.  I stick to the basic ingredients, and the dough is not sweet.

As a fast-food pizza I love it.  Much better than Pizza Hut or Dominoes.

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2021 at 4:31 PM, uanmak said:

I am Italian.

In Bangkok, for delivery, this is AMAZING:

- Grano di Pa
https://www.facebook.com/granodipa/

+66 88 634 7102
granodipabkk@gmail.com

When there is no lockdown:

- Grano di Pa has got very few places to seat (it is mainly focused on delivery).

- If you catch the chef "Raffaele" on the days when he works in Peppina, a great dining experience is:

Central Embassy, "Open House" floor.

which is best Pizza Company or Pizza Hut? They are the only ones near us and even those a few miles away, they will deliver here though, is there much difference ?