The Sandbox Guarantee – taking the ‘what ifs’ out of travelling to Thailand

Thaiger

Lets face it, the only so called "tourists" that are currently traveling to Thailand under the current highly restrictive, costly, and invasive rules are those returning to their home and loved ones.  It is very telling about the mentality of the Thai government that treat VACCINATED tourists, who can save the Thai economy from ruins, more harshly than Thais.  This "Sand Box" experiment is an illusionary "fix" to an economy in free-fall that is effecting the poor.

52 minutes ago, mzep said:

It is very telling about the mentality of the Thai government that treat VACCINATED tourists, who can save the Thai economy from ruins, more harshly than Thais. 

Where, exactly, is that happening?

The rules for international arrivals are EXACTLY the same for Thais or foreigners, whether they're vaccinated or not and whether they arrive via the ASQ or sandbox system.

The rules for domestic arrivals in Phuket and elsewhere and those travelling in Thailand are also EXACTLY the same for Thais and foreigners.

True, there are likely to be more foreigners on international arrivals than Thais and more Thais arriving domestically and travelling in Thailand, but that's hardly the Thai government's fault and the only way that could be mitigated would be to have very different rules for Thais and foreigners which would make your point unavoidably moot.

... and how, exactly, are vaccinated tourists going to save the Thai economy from ruins unless the population's vaccinated?

Do tell .....

On 7/12/2021 at 7:22 AM, JamesE said:

Additionally, hidden rules can be applied arbitrarily, like the people forced into ASQ from a near encounter with somebody having a positive test

According to Stefanie's latest interview, the rules weren't hidden and she was not only told in advance that it was a risk but she was also told in writing, but she decided it was a risk worth taking.

For some reason that was glossed over, as it didn't suit those on and driving the outrage bus.

• Like 1

I normally live in Kathu, Phuket, and intend to use Sandbox to return from Australia and stay in SHA Hotel for 14 days going back home for maximum amount of time. QUESTION. I will strictly follow the rules and report in and out and be available for covid tests when requested. There appears to be no specified daily absence time from SHA hotel. eg. Leave hotel 0001hrs on a specific day (morning) and return 2359 hrs same day (night). Opinion please. 

46 minutes ago, Luap said:

I normally live in Kathu, Phuket, and intend to use Sandbox to return from Australia and stay in SHA Hotel for 14 days going back home for maximum amount of time. QUESTION. I will strictly follow the rules and report in and out and be available for covid tests when requested. There appears to be no specified daily absence time from SHA hotel. eg. Leave hotel 0001hrs on a specific day (morning) and return 2359 hrs same day (night). Opinion please. 

My understanding is that each hotel is required to check that all of their guests are in their room each 'night'. Exactly when that is to occur is not defined, and it is up to the hotel to organise when that is done. 

I suggest you talk to the hotel and ask them what time they check the guests are in the rooms. And ask do they actually physically knock on the doors, or do they make a note in a book what time they arrived back to the hotel. My bet is that it will vary from hotel to hotel.  There will be a period of time they are required to report the information to the Phuket authorities, but each hotel will manage how and when they check.  If you let them know that you need to know what time you must be back in the hotel each day, and when you are allowed to leave again in mornings, they will be forthcoming with that information. 

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

My understanding is that each hotel is required to check that all of their guests are in their room each 'night'. Exactly when that is to occur is not defined, and it is up to the hotel to organise when that is done. 

I suggest you talk to the hotel and ask them what time they check the guests are in the rooms. And ask do they actually physically knock on the doors, or do they make a note in a book what time they arrived back to the hotel. My bet is that it will vary from hotel to hotel.  There will be a period of time they are required to report the information to the Phuket authorities, but each hotel will manage how and when they check.  If you let them know that you need to know what time you must be back in the hotel each day, and when you are allowed to leave again in mornings, they will be forthcoming with that information. 

Once the check has been done, you can unroll the rope ladder out of the window and make your escape. The guards won't know until the next morning, when you could already be in Switzerland. ??

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

Once the check has been done, you can unroll the rope ladder out of the window and make your escape. The guards won't know until the next morning, when you could already be in Switzerland. ??

image.thumb.png.d657e46fd69e78b2fc8477969948ca11.png

• Haha 1

I'm in the DoubleTree Hilton at Patong. After the initial negative test result from the airport (I arrived at 2 PM and got to the hotel at 4 PM - my results were out at midnight) there have been zero restrictions on my movement. Once a day at my convenience I have to stop at the desk to have my QR code scanned and temperature taken. That's it. No one is watching me. There is no barbed wire. No guards. No dorm parent checking me in and out. I had a colleague join me for drinks on my balcony before dinner. No issues. 

Having said that, a friend staying at the Westin had two pages of rules and one specifically said "you must sleep at the hotel at night or they would be required to report." 

I think this is similar to pre-Covid when some hotels had strict rules about joiners or guests in the room while others turned a blind eye. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I'm in the DoubleTree Hilton at Patong. After the initial negative test result from the airport (I arrived at 2 PM and got to the hotel at 4 PM - my results were out at midnight) there have been zero restrictions on my movement. Once a day at my convenience I have to stop at the desk to have my QR code scanned and temperature taken. That's it. No one is watching me. There is no barbed wire. No guards. No dorm parent checking me in and out. I had a colleague join me for drinks on my balcony before dinner. No issues. 

Having said that, a friend staying at the Westin had two pages of rules and one specifically said "you must sleep at the hotel at night or they would be required to report." 

I think this is similar to pre-Covid when some hotels had strict rules about joiners or guests in the room while others turned a blind eye. 

Thanks for all your Input

2 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

That is great to hear amnd thanks for saying who the hotels are.  The more people that tell the others how each Phuket hotel treats them, the more informed the decision can be by others willing to take the risks and enter the Phuket sandbox.  But remember - do not say negative things on Facebook or any other social media where you can be identified (while in Thailand) - some hotels are known to have Expats arrested for saying negative things about them.