Koh Samui

TiT

Currently and already for a longer time. quiet to the bone.

Chaweng is a graveyard. So are parts of Lamai.

Touristic activities are around: Bo Phut and Bangrak

• Like 1

Indeed, hoping for a semi-swift recovery in the coming years.  While I never hope to see the Chinese tour busses rolling along Samui's roadways, I do hope the smaller businesses are able to return to normalcy.

14 hours ago, TiT said:

Indeed, hoping for a semi-swift recovery in the coming years.  While I never hope to see the Chinese tour busses rolling along Samui's roadways, I do hope the smaller businesses are able to return to normalcy.

Thailand will recover in 10+ years and this include the heavily affected Thai small businesses.

The world will have moved on from Thailand in 10 years I'm afraid.  It had a unique charm and appeal many years ago, all of which has basically been lost.  Other nations are trying harder and that will hurt Thailand in the long run.  Thailand has basically been stagnant for the longest time and was riding on its own historical laurels.  That time has now passed, it is no longer the desirable destination it used to be for casual tourists.

23 hours ago, TorontoJeff said:

I disagree.  Where would you go instead?  

The steady base of Samui expats is shifting. Some moved to Phuket others simply moved back home.
Same happened in Phuket, i know of expats moving with girls to the north.

We move around and if you get done with Thailand there are many other places one can go. You'll see that currently for Europeans, Europe is there main travel destination.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, TorontoJeff said:

It's a big world out there. Venezuela was wonderful until it wasn't. The Windward Islands in the Caribbean. Costa Rica. Panama. Pacific coast of S. America. I'm not a fan of Mexico, but some are. Most of SE Asia outside of Thailand might be worth a try. The thing to plan for is that things change, governments, societies, social order. If they change in a direction you don't like, then pack up and try someplace new.

• Cool 1

On 7/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, TorontoJeff said:

Vietnam, Portugal, Spain, Costa Rica, Belize, Dominican Republic, etc.  There are so many places I would consider if I didn't have a Thai spouse.  The red tape for Visas, double pricing, and clear dislike for foreigners from the recent government is very telling.  Coupled with the fact that the country's economy and small business sector has essentially been ravaged for an unknown number of years, this is a good opportunity to reinvent oneself and explore new horizons in my opinion.

Edited by TiT

• 1 month later...

What is the current status for going to Ko Samui? Can I travel thru Bangkok and do I have to do anything special to do that? I am planning to go mid-October and need help/info. Thanks in advance....

Right now the only way is through BKK. I'm not exactly sure how the booking process is being handled so you might look to one of the travel agents specializing in Samui Plus bookings. You've got to jump through all the same hoops as any other kind of "sandbox" entry - vaccines, test, pre-paid bookings, etc. plus be willing to be quarantined to your hotel for three days and exist in a sealed route environment afterward for your 14-night stay.

3 hours ago, TonyToneToni said:

What is the current status for going to Ko Samui? Can I travel thru Bangkok and do I have to do anything special to do that? I am planning to go mid-October and need help/info. Thanks in advance....

If you're coming out of the U.S. these people are good... an not expensive to use their service. 
https://ihanatour.com/page/contact_us