Samui & Phangan reopening: bars open, 5,000 baht Covid tests

Thaiger

Koh Samui and the surrounding islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao are preparing for their Samui Plus reopening beginning July 15. The rules for the reopening are more stringent, with 3 full days of quarantine required and then 4 days of being allowed to travel only on sealed routes to specific tourist destinations before finally being allowed to travel freely and to neighbouring islands after 1 week. In contrast, some of Koh Samui’s nightlife seems to be operating unaffected by Covid-19 restrictions and may draw Phuket Sandbox tourists longing for a drink and a night out. While neighbouring Koh […]

The post Samui & Phangan reopening: bars open, 5,000 baht Covid tests appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Samui & Phangan reopening: bars open, 5,000 baht Covid tests

I hope that's not for each bar you visit.

• Haha 5

The "famous" black club is full almost every weekend, sometimes weekdays too. Rules for them was never seemed to be applied. As I was driving around samui today (Shopping Big C and Topps) people were sitting unmasked in local restaurants. It looks like Samui is somehow protected against the virus and the restrictions. Gettin to the island on the ferry is easy as 1,2,3 especially if you take Raja ferry. They don't seem to care about anything. Last time I was coming back with Raja they didn't even check temperatures. My conclusion is that Samui is either gifted against all odds, or something is fishy here as they are reporting no cases at all.

Sorry, but unless you had a real pressing need to get back to Thailand, you would be mad to do this. If you do it and then go to bars, you would be insane. I’ve said it before but will say it again. If you do one of these sandbox schemes to get back in to Thailand, that’s fine. But keep yourself safe and isolated as best you can. Unless you want to risk being carted off to hospital for 14 days…

• Like 2

5000 baht entry fee? Wonder how the gals would be able to manage that? Been so long now, I would love a beach holiday and night life for a few days of fun. CM drowning. Get the Pfizer in here and me and the family will probably jab.

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Sorry, but unless you had a real pressing need to get back to Thailand, you would be mad to do this. If you do it and then go to bars, you would be insane. I’ve said it before but will say it again. If you do one of these sandbox schemes to get back in to Thailand, that’s fine. But keep yourself safe and isolated as best you can. Unless you want to risk being carted off to hospital for 14 days…

Or just locked up because someone was with someone who has CV-19. No thanks. Not worth that risk right there alone.

3 hours ago, christopher said:

5000 bath for a covid test ? Only Fool will visit Samui reopening and pay for test at their outrageous price ! 

So a test before you board the flight to KS (probably about 3k THB). Another on arrival (5k) and third before you board your flight home. 13k all told. 

And there are those who complain about Phuket taxis gouging. This makes them look like uneducated amateurs,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Starting to doubt this scheme even gets off the ground. Same with anyone thinking of getting out of Phuket after 14 days. Outside of a ferry you are not leaving. 

I was just in Koh Samui. I went to a government hospital the day before traveling to the island and paid 2200 baht for the PCR-RT Covid test. I have seen Private Hospitals trying to get 3000 baht from tourists. But, sorry to say that 5000 for a test is sucker pricing. It is a quite normal practice for a few bad actors to vastly overcharge unwary tourists. 

Took the car to Surat thani and then crossed on Ferry Wed 30 June, downloaded and completed the Samui App registration on the boat (make sure you keep the QR code handy for Landing process). On the Samui side presented a PCR-RT test (within 72 hours/ 2600 bhat BKK)) on the Samui side. Had a 3 day booking at a hotel (not asked for). They temperature checked, photographed the test and passport. Done. No hotel has asked for the QR code, yet. Villa renting real cheap right now, make an offer, negotiate. If you have vaccine certificates take them with you as a back up to changing regulations. 

Covid 19 has nearly destroyed tourism and greed will finish the sector off. These covid tests have been done elsewhere in Thailand for 500 baht/person and yet here is Thailand again charging tourists 10 times that for a compulsory health test that protects the Thailand tourism sector.  This test should be capped by the government at cost, its a disease prevention test, not a optional tourism treat. Thailand, wake up to yourself and encourage tourists back rather than trying to screw them over financially at every turn. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Covid 19 has nearly destroyed tourism and greed will finish the sector off. These covid tests have been done elsewhere in Thailand for 500 baht/person and yet here is Thailand again charging tourists 10 times that for a compulsory health test that protects the Thailand tourism sector.  This test should be capped by the government at cost, its a disease prevention test, not a optional tourism treat. Thailand, wake up to yourself and encourage tourists back rather than trying to screw them over financially at every turn. 

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF

Surely elsewhere doesn't have the same sort of 'captive audience'.
The price must be directly relative for the opportunity of those in charge to make a fast buck.

Edited by Mike-Hunt
grammar
  • Like 1

Just now, Jungleman said:

Looks like all the officials will be making money at the expence of everyone else on the islands.

So how different is that to normal times ?

44 minutes ago, gummy said:

So how different is that to normal times ?

BECAUSE
WE
HAVE
A
GLOBAL
VIRUS
PANDEMIC
NOW
Times are not "normal" - or hadn't you noticed?

I will see on the Youtube channel The Real Samui Webcam from 15 July onward if there is still desert in Chaweng and Lamai areas then.