Sandbox tourist forced to stay in ASQ hotel after fellow passenger on her flight tests positive

Thaiger

Stefanie came to Phuket as a kick start to a new adventure and a long term stay in Thailand. The Phuket Sandbox option would allow her to visit around the island for 14 days before heading off to other destinations in Thailand. But it didn’t work out as planned. Now, she’s stuck in a small room for up to 14 days. Average cost of 3,400 baht per night (including 3 meals) for an average hotel room? We will follow Stefanie’s progress on The Thaiger and hope that sanity prevails. https://www.facebook.com/WheelsAndWork https://www.instagram.com/wheels_and_work/ #freestefanie

The post Sandbox tourist forced to stay in ASQ hotel after fellow passenger on her flight tests positive appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

25 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Stefanie came to Phuket as a kick start to a new adventure and a long term stay in Thailand. The Phuket Sandbox option would allow her to visit around the island for 14 days before heading off to other destinations in Thailand. But it didn’t work out as planned. Now, she’s stuck in a small room for up to 14 days. Average cost of 3,400 baht per night (including 3 meals) for an average hotel room? We will follow Stefanie’s progress on The Thaiger and hope that sanity prevails. https://www.facebook.com/WheelsAndWork https://www.instagram.com/wheels_and_work/ #freestefanie

The post Sandbox tourist forced to stay in ASQ hotel after fellow passenger on her flight tests positive appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Phuket should use the Sandbox to start collecting data on the type of vaccine administered to vaccinated tourists who tested covid 19 positive. This data will help to determine the efficacy of different vaccines and help plan future requirements for vaccinated tourist.

Vaccinated tourist tested positive first round, should be given another test the next day to be sure of the result. Since there is such thing as false positive even with RT-PCR test.

THis is an outrage! These Thai rats have managed to manipulate a person, who does not have the virus, into paying three times what she was paying before for a less quality room.

Why, where is the justification? Why is a less quality room costing three times the price of a much better room. What extras are there? One test a day is all I think. This is just another Phuket Thai scam. The situation changes and the Phuker scammers adapt their scams to suit.

Well this will seriously influence more potential mugs that were thinking of booking this sandbox. Stay away. There is an established calculated rip off in practice in Phuket called the sandbox. Don't be the next victim. Let them fail. Let them starve. They deserve no less.

• Like 7
  • Cool 1

Shocking. Welcome to the Phuket Sandbox Hoteliers money making scam. Do you expect anything else from a program that was their brainchild? 

• Like 6
  • Angry 2

This is outrageous. They want foreigners to come and spend money but they lock you up and made you pay for expensive lodging not to the fault of the tourist and they don’t even talk to you and give you any options. These Thai smiles is looking more like Thai government scam. These should be a bad publicity for the sandbox and deter would be traveler to choose different country ! 

• Like 6
  • Angry 1

Clearly some of the potential pitfalls are in fact coming true. You can be scooped up even if not part of a group where someone tests positive. You can just be unlucky and sit near enough to get hosed. You will get shipped off to an ASQ and have to pay thought the nose. It’s also likely your expensive Covid insurance isn’t going to foot the bill (I doubt your regular travel insurance will either). It’s just more risk you have to take in order to visit Thailand at this time. 

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

25 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

THis is an outrage! These Thai rats have managed to manipulate a person, who does not have the virus, into paying three times what she was paying before for a less quality room.

Why, where is the justification? Why is a less quality room costing three times the price of a much better room. What extras are there? One test a day is all I think. This is just another Phuket Thai scam. The situation changes and the Phuker scammers adapt their scams to suit.

Well this will seriously influence more potential mugs that were thinking of booking this sandbox. Stay away. There is an established calculated rip off in practice in Phuket called the sandbox. Don't be the next victim. Let them fail. Let them starve. They deserve no less.

The ones who will starve are not the ones who own the hotels.  Its those poor ladies you see cleaning the towels and working in the massage parlors.

• Like 1

Outrageous, that she traveled with Eyes Wide Shut. Her home country has same travel rules and so do most countries around the world. Though in her home country she would have the opportunity to be isolated in her own home. Like everybody using the sandbox as a “holiday” she rolled the dice and took her chances. As for her insurance maybe go through the contagion person’s insurance. Outrageous.

• Like 1

I can't stop laughing at this brain dead woman.  How did she think coming to the Phuket concentration camp was a sensible idea? And then thinking she would be able to explore more of this disease raddled country after her 14 days were up. She got exactly what she should have expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Listening to the video, this German lady was ridiculously compliant.

She returned from a day out and the receptionist told her that there had been a message saying that her first PCR test was fine but that she had been sitting near to some Arab guy who had tested positive and, now, she was considered high risk and had to book into a ALQ hotel.

She did not tell her which ALQ hotel, or how to find it. This German lady had to work all that out, then had difficulty getting to the place, then had to pay 3x more than the cost of her original SHA hotel.

Nobody arrived to more fully explain the situation and to drive her there. No one contacted her after she checked into the ALQ hotel. She says no other passengers arrived at the ALQ hotel, which is apparently the only one on Phuket.

I, as a non-German, would have thanked the receptionist, gone to my room, and ignored the whole thing.

If anyone had followed up later - and, in Thailand, there is always a chance that no one will - I would insist that I was not leaving until they could confirm, in writing, that the supposed infected guy had failed a second test. PCR tests, set at the crazy high amplification they are, often return false positives. I suspect that is the reason why no other passengers from her flight turned up at her ALQ hotel: the whole thing was a false alarm but, with admirable German efficiency, she had already switched hotels before they realized.

If it was confirmed to be a real infection, I would then suggest that, as I already had a negative result, I should be allowed to simply remain quarantined in my current room until my second test, in a few days time, cleared me. After all, you have to stay quarantined in your SHA hotel room for your first day because they are unsure of your exact status until they receive the results of the first test you took at the airport. The same uncertainty applies in this case.

If they absolutely insisted I had to switch hotel, I would insist that THEY, the officials running the whole scheme, work out all the details and arrange complimentary transport. Unlike the German lady, I would view this as being essentially their problem, not mine.

Yes, my approach makes me an awkward asshole, and she is undoubtedly more of a delight to deal with, but if they are going triple my costs and imprison me in a far worse room for 15 nights, I will do everything I can to check that it is absolutely necessary. In new situations such as this, most of it is just made up on the fly. No one you are dealing with is worried about the inconvenience and costs they are dumping on you, so, you have to fight your corner.

Edited by SickBuffalo
  • Like 6
  • Cool 2
  • Angry 1

Probably a 'misunderstanding' when this gets aired for a few days and the receptionist will get the blame. I wonder what the food is like? i'd expect wine and whisky to go with it at that price!

17 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

She returned from a day out and the receptionist told her that there had been a message saying that her first PCR test was fine but that she had been sitting near to some Arab guy who had tested positive and, now, she was considered high risk and had to book into a ALQ hotel.

She did not tell her which ALQ hotel, or how to find it. This German lady had to work all that out, then had difficulty getting to the place, then had to pay 3x more than the cost of her original SHA hotel.

Nobody arrived to more fully explain the situation and to drive her there. No one contacted her after she checked into the ALQ hotel. She says no other passengers arrived at the ALQ hotel, which is apparently the only one on Phuket.

I, as a non-German, would have thanked the receptionist, gone to my room, and ignored the whole thing.

If anyone had followed up later - and, in Thailand, there is always a chance that no one will - I would insist that I was not leaving until they could confirm, in writing, that the supposed infected guy had failed a second test. PCR tests, set at the crazy high amplification they are, often return false positives. I suspect that is the reason why no other passengers from her flight turned up at her ALQ hotel: the whole thing was a false alarm but, with admirable German efficiency, she had already switched hotels before they realized.

If it was confirmed to be a real infection, I would then suggest that, as I already had a negative result, I should be allowed to simply remain quarantined in my current room until my second test, in a few days time, cleared me. After all, you have to stay quarantined in your SHA hotel room for your first day because they are unsure of your exact status until they receive the results of the first test you took at the airport. The same uncertainty applies in this case.

If they absolutely insisted I had to switch hotel, I would insist that THEY, the officials running the whole scheme, work out all the details and arrange complimentary transport. Unlike the German lady, I would view this as being essentially their problem, not mine.

Yes, my approach makes me an awkward asshole, and she is undoubtedly more of a delight to deal with, but if they are going triple my costs and imprison me in a far worse room for 15 nights, I will do everything I can to check that it is absolutely necessary. In new situations such as this, most of it is just made up on the fly. No one you are dealing with is worried about the inconvenience and costs they are dumping on you, so, you have to fight your corner.

No, that doesnt make you an awkward asshole, that's exactly how a situation like this in Thailand should be dealt with. I've lost count how many times a random counter staff told the wife and I something that was contrary to what we already knew and was going to pointlessly cost us extra bahts and or time. The wife always wants to promptly change course and comply without question and I always have to be the critical thinker and explain why what's being instructed is nonsense and that we'll not be listening to some random woman at a counter. ??‍♂️

Edited by Objectivance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 2
  • Angry 1

22 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

If it was confirmed to be a real infection, I would then suggest that, as I already had a negative result, I should be allowed to simply remain quarantined in my current room until my second test, in a few days time, cleared me. After all, you have to stay in your SHA hotel for your first day because they are unsure of your exact status until they receive the results of the first test you took at the airport. The same uncertainty applies in this case.

I agree and it is a fair comment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Stephanie wants to learn Thai, she might want to try Learnthaifromawhiteguy.com  its very helpful, I’ve used his service

Cheers!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Objectivance said:

No, that doesnt make you an awkward asshole, that's exactly how a situation like this in Thailand should be dealt with. I've lost count how many times a random counter staff told the wife and I something that was contrary to what we already knew and was going to pointlessly cost us extra bahts and or time. The wife always wants to promptly change course and comply without question and I always have to be the critical thinker and explain why what's being instructed is nonsense and that we'll not be listening to some random woman at a counter. ??‍♂️

Because they teach them don't think or question something only follow the orders!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

And remember what Stonker quoted that this is covered and nobody have to pay for it, here on this forum. And people who questioned it he quoted their posts as rubbish and wrong.

It might turn out that they do cover the cost if you simply wait for the officials to turn up.

In PR terms, they definitely should pay in this situation, otherwise they are adding far too much financial uncertainty for anyone who choses the sandbox route.

All westerners should hold off on visiting Thailand until they finetune the system to recognize the far lower likelihood that someone fully inoculated with a good, Western vaccine will get infected by sitting next to someone on a plane. For whatever minor risk there might be, it could be managed just fine within the context of a SHA hotel. No one should be moved anywhere unless they, themselves, test positive.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Exactly!  I would let Thai authorities come and take me there.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Farang-Ba said:

If Stephanie wants to learn Thai, she might want to try Learnthaifromawhiteguy.com  its very helpful, I’ve used his service.

I bet that "Learn Thai from a White Guy" doesn't feel like such a clever brand in these dark days of white guilt :D 

• Haha 1

Whilst this lady was undoubtedly naive, that is no reason to be treated so disgracefully. It's not a bad thing to think the best of others. But to those who have treated her so badly, well, one can only hope karma awaits them.

If she has not done so already, she should contact her embassy and ask if they can help her. At the very least they should be able to offer some advice that she can trust. 

• Like 2

Apparently it’s not understood that being vaccinated does not mean you cannot be positive for covid. You can still carry the virus. I’m not sure why the thinking is like it’s a sin to be covid positive. Umm get used to it. Like the flu, people will always have it. Vaccination simply helps you not get as sick. It’s here to stay, it’s not some killer virus. Covid related death means you had a heart attack or in an accident and were covid positive. Not necessarily that covid had anything to do with it. 

20 minutes ago, DontacoXII said:

Apparently it’s not understood that being vaccinated does not mean you cannot be positive for covid.

Oh, give over, the risk of both infection and transmission are far, far lower.

20 minutes ago, DontacoXII said:

Vaccination simply helps you not get as sick.

That is simply not true. The goal was to reduce hospitalizations and death, yes, but a very welcome side effect, that we have been aware of since the first mass studies in Israel earlier this year, is that your chance of getting infected (from a given level of exposure) is reduced by roughly 90% and, if you do somehow get infected, your transmissibility (your chance of giving to to someone else) is reduced by 66%.

I am calling out your mischaracterization because these proven facts are important. It means that, in reality, each vaccinated person doesn't simply protect himself but, also, acts as a circuit breaker for everyone else. At the scale of a population, if a sufficient number of people are fully inoculated (with an effective Western vaccine) it means that the virus runs out of nodes it can jump between. This pushes the R0 below one and dramatically drives down the number of new active cases.

People who have recovered from Covid-19 also act as circuit breakers, but they gain their immunity the hard way, sometimes with permanent damage. Both the recovered and the vaccinated protect the others in society.

You may not be against the vaccine yourself, but this misinformation gets trotted out all the time by anti-vaxxers as a way to suggest that there is no point in getting the vaccine. It is, on their part, a deliberate misreading of how these vaccines work and of the actual way in which they can help all of us.

Edited by SickBuffalo
  • Like 4