Covid UPDATE Saturday: 9,326 new infections, news briefs

Thaiger

Today the public health department has announced 9,326 new infections and 91 Covid-related deaths. 192 of the cases are from Thai prisons. The number, whilst only slightly higher than yesterday, is a continuation of the upward trend in cases, almost doubling over the past 2 weeks. The number of deaths reported today is a steep and concerning increase. • Following a meeting late yesterday afternoon, the CCSA has decided to impose new restrictions the say are “necessary to address the worsening situation especially”, in dark red and red zone provinces. The new measures include new Covid-zoning areas in Thailand, closures […]

The post Covid UPDATE Saturday: 9,326 new infections, news briefs appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sorry in advance if I come across a bit frustrated!

But, there we go. The always good solution. Redo the zones again. The never ending solution from the CCSA. A couple of weeks ago we went to 5 zones. Now 4 zones (probably because it was virtually impossible to be classified as green zone). Every few weeks it changes. Can't they just stick to one type of zoning classification for a bit longer and do other work...like actually deal with the virus outbreak?

Is this the first item on every CCSA meeting?

Someone must be getting paid a lot to do this every couple of weeks. What with all the adverts, posters etc having to be reprinted.

• Like 1

Best to ask your hotel as they will be able to establish current availability.  It would not surprise me if bus transport into BKK has already been cancelled, by Friday it will almost certainly will be.

A flight is your best option, cheap enough too, and schedules will also change next week as cancellations and restrictions evolve.

Not a good time to be traveling into Bangkok but if it's your ultimate destination you may encounter many closures.

Good luck and keep us posted with your discoveries please. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DrBiscuit said:

As a current participant in the Phuket sandbox (8 days in) it is my intention to depart the island & head north into mainland Thailand on Fri 16th July by bus. 

Might you have to wait for the result of a final test before you can leave the Island?

I also heard something about needing a letter saying that you have completed your two weeks SHA stay.

I heard these points mentioned in a discussion about the possible downsides of the sandbox compared to the regular quarantine in Bangkok. The worry was that the hotels wouldn't be particularly motivated to furnish the necessary paperwork and that guests could end up trapped in Phuket for a few days longer than they expected.

By the way, I hope you will keep us informed on your progress. Congratulations on jumping through the necessary hoops to get there.

• Like 1

Yikes. Almost at a new plateau of 10,000 and 100. But realistically for sure over that as numbers are never correct. Looks like a bumpy road up ahead.

34 minutes ago, DrBiscuit said:

Thanks KaptainRob

I'm actually hoping to get to Hua Hin & it's my understanding that the BKK bus will stop there? I guess if there are no buses I'll have to stay a little longer ? 

Could be worse ?

All the best

David

I'd say once you can leave whichever resort you're in, get on Agoda and pick out the cheapest resort that suits your preferences and book it for a month and chill there. That or try to make your way to Hua Hin while bypassing BKK and book there. I just know that Agoda was showing some 4 stars available on Phuket for as little as 300/night. 9k for a month wouldn't be bad at all, if the place suits you well. Agoda is also offering some additional incentives as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBiscuit said:

Thanks KaptainRob

I'm actually hoping to get to Hua Hin & it's my understanding that the BKK bus will stop there? I guess if there are no buses I'll have to stay a little longer ? 

Could be worse ?

All the best

David

Once again, ask your hotel for advice re bus to HH.  It can be a rather arduous 12hrs or more if there's availability.  Some companies run mini-buses which are more likely to continue in a partial lockdown but you'd need to suss out an operator.

You might also contact Phuket private taxi, minibus, and limo operators as it's quite possible others will be seeking transport.  4 or more pax sharing a car would cost a bit more than a bus but may prove welcome business for a local owner-driver.

• Like 2

I think your very adventurous if you now want to get from the 'south' to the 'north'.
As everyone is doing the opposite or has been doing for the past days. I'm now not talking about Phuket but we're seeing way more 'tourists' both foreigners as Thais.

i m wondering what these peoples (who ever are in charge of the disease control)   did not understand about the term "exponentially or ballistic" .....it seems the trend is established and it is not going to change if they do not do the right things. maybe it is already too latte to do the right thing. they must lock, isolate and test massively. these are the only way if they really want to contain and tackle this bug.

Good luck with your trip David it will be quite an adventure - keep safe. My wife and I were in Thailand from the beginning of December to the end of March and looks like we hit a sweet spot. It would appear that the alpha variant hardly touched the sides sadly but this time it is very different. Phuket was like a ghost town (whereas Jomtien where our condo was was fairly lively)- we stopped on Kata Beach on a tour round the island and we were the only people there. 

There will be numerous tragic stories playing out before this ends which ultimately it will. There are 80,000 (most probably Burmese or Cambodian) construction workers forcibly quarantining in their shanty town camps who are almost forgotten.

Thankfully some good hearted volunteers have been helping where they can. The ordinary people of Thailand are some of the nicest people you could hope to meet sadly they are ruled by some of the most venal folk on the planet. 

21 minutes ago, Shark said:

I think your very adventurous if you now want to get from the 'south' to the 'north'.
As everyone is doing the opposite or has been doing for the past days. I'm now not talking about Phuket but we're seeing way more 'tourists' both foreigners as Thais.

If flight availability permits, sandbox vaccinated tourists and expats can still travel to Chiang Mai and other areas well outside of Bangkok.  Transit thru DMK or BKK is still ok, (if ticketed thru) and as of today at least, there are no restrictions upon arrival at CNX as long as people continue to use the tracking app.

Phuket's not a bad place to be marooned ? for a while either.

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

If flight availability permits, sandbox vaccinated tourists and expats can still travel to Chiang Mai and other areas well outside of Bangkok.  Transit thru DMK or BKK is still ok, (if ticketed thru) and as of today at least, there are no restrictions upon arrival at CNX as long as people continue to use the tracking app.

Phuket's not a bad place to be marooned ? for a while either.

Sure. I get this even through I would just 'maroon' in Phuket for a month or so afterwards when this 'songkran wave' is under control... perhaps... it's worthy traveling north bound or wherever you feel.

Again my two THB.

For Phukets' sake (hmmmm)....I mean for the people of Phuket's sake :) I can only hope that vaccination efforts for citizens of the island get to 100% (or at least 80%). Our numbers here in Australia are small compared to other countries, but the current situation in Sydney has seen that those who are vaccinated and contract the virus do not end up in hospital or die. 79% of the cases who are in Hospital or ICU were unvaccinated. So here are strong reasons to get vaccinated asap.

• Like 1

Yup I would maroon in Phuket as well there is plenty to see there it is very quiet the locals will be glad of your trade and the population is probably the most vaccinated in the country. Unless you have a pressing need to get somewhere why not deepen the experience by putting down some temporary roots. When you sit still and chill you get to see much more than rushing around trying to see everything. 

3 hours ago, DrBiscuit said:

As a current participant in the Phuket sandbox (8 days in) it is my intention to depart the island & head north into mainland Thailand on Fri 16th July by bus. 

Being fully vaccinated & having had multiple negative PCR tests to date(!), can anyone confirm the status of bus trips from Phuket to Bangkok as of 16th July please? 

All factual info is greatly appreciated ??

Many thanks. 

Are you sure to go Bangkok? Maybe you should inform you about travel restrictions and situation in Bangkok first! It seams you don't know the situation in Thailand at the moment. I still wondering how people can come for holiday to Thailand in this mess and situation the country is right now. Could it be naivity? I really don't know.

The fact is there is no point in closing the gate once the horse has bolted.

What is being done now should of been done last year.

The more testing done with a test kit which the man who made it, has said it was not mean to be used in the way it is being used, the more cases there will be being reported.

Those two issues alone require a rethink on how the kingdom address this issue.

Following blindly other countries who have adopted this procedure will lead to only one conclusion .

A financial disaster.

Singapore adoption of a different approach my bring some answers for Thailand , unless there is another agenda which we are not prive to ??

• Like 1

Pravit pulls no punches with an excellent op-ed. 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2021/07/10/calls-for-prayut-to-resign-and-catch-22/

"This means Thailand will likely have to suffer more infections, loss of lives and face absolute economic ruin before any significant political change will likely occur. I hope we do not need to become utterly destitute and the country in ruin before positive change can be achieved, for that would be a total tragedy for Thailand."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Remi said:

The fact is there is no point in closing the gate once the horse has bolted.

What is being done now should of been done last year.

The more testing done with a test kit which the man who made it, has said it was not mean to be used in the way it is being used, the more cases there will be being reported.

Those two issues alone require a rethink on how the kingdom address this issue.

Following blindly other countries who have adopted this procedure will lead to only one conclusion .

A financial disaster.

Singapore adoption of a different approach my bring some answers for Thailand , unless there is another agenda which we are not prive to ??

An Englishman, who was far off his course and confused about his next directions, asked an Irishman, cutting peat in the wilds of Connemara, how to get to Letterfrack. The Irishman labored over the directions, so intricate and roundabout were the roads, until, having done his best, he added this: “If it was meself that was going to Letterfrack, faith I wouldn’t start from here!”

Dr Biscuit.. Before all the Covid restrictions there was a regular ViP bus that arrived in H.H. from Phuket nightly around 9/9.30pm..The big bus is (as many are) White & blue, but with a big orange palm tree design on it's sides. This is a nice bus, with each seat having headsets rather than a big TV blaring at you!

Many Government buses (if going to Bangers) miss H.H. by using the bypass... If this is gonna be the case then get off the bus in Pranburi at the little bus station/office in the centre of town (at the main traffic lights), then catch the 30b 'Orange chug-along' up to H.H. that leave about every half hr thru' the day.

Just a coupla options for you if intending to use a bus.. Cheers now.

5 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Sorry in advance if I come across a bit frustrated!

But, there we go. The always good solution. Redo the zones again. The never ending solution from the CCSA. A couple of weeks ago we went to 5 zones. Now 4 zones (probably because it was virtually impossible to be classified as green zone). Every few weeks it changes. Can't they just stick to one type of zoning classification for a bit longer and do other work...like actually deal with the virus outbreak?

Is this the first item on every CCSA meeting?

Someone must be getting paid a lot to do this every couple of weeks. What with all the adverts, posters etc having to be reprinted.

Can you imagine your level of frustration if you could attend and take part in one of these meeting? I think it would blow your mind. A load of mainly suited elderly men sitting around a table with an immaculate white table cloth and chairs covered the same. Flowers on the table. Water jugs and glasses nearly set up. Microphones with a little red light on when you speak (you know, like the important people at the UN have) facing each member. People sat behind with notebooks in hand, pen poised to write down the words of wisdom. Some complex charts presented by the medics in full doctors regalia including stethoscope around their neck to show they are a doctor. A few words and ideas presented by the most senior people. Lots of nodding and not much speaking. A nice lunch provided and then everyone in the government limos and back home early for the day. I can’t imagine anyone banging the table and demanding people be accountable. I can’t imagine anyone reading the minutes from the last meeting and reviewing actions and demanding updates on progress from last meeting (probably weren’t any set). I think your frustration levels would boil. I know mine would!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrBiscuit said:

Being fully vaccinated & having had multiple negative PCR tests to date(!), can anyone confirm the status of bus trips from Phuket to Bangkok as of 16th July please? 

All factual info is greatly appreciated ??

Many thanks. 

Would you regard yourself as a tourist DrBiscuit? If not we need to remove you from the tally…

1 hour ago, Jason said:

For Phukets' sake (hmmmm)....I mean for the people of Phuket's sake :) I can only hope that vaccination efforts for citizens of the island get to 100% (or at least 80%). Our numbers here in Australia are small compared to other countries, but the current situation in Sydney has seen that those who are vaccinated and contract the virus do not end up in hospital or die. 79% of the cases who are in Hospital or ICU were unvaccinated. So here are strong reasons to get vaccinated asap.

The same in the U.K.  Case number are rising but hospitalisations and deaths aren’t. Infections are around 35,000 a day, which is the same as it was back in January when vaccination was low. Back then 1,200 a day were dying. Yesterday it was 29. A 97% reductions. The vaccines work. Well, at least this shows the AZ  and Pfizer vaccines work.