COVID-19 Insurance from abroad

I got my plan (I'm in the US) from Hey Mondo which is a Spanish company underwritten by Axa. They provided a Thailand specific COVID coverage certificate and it worked fine for visa, COE, and entry. I bought a one-year plan as it was cheaper than a per-trip plan (I visit a couple times a year). Only downside is that each trip is limited to 4 months. I think it cost about US$160.

You can purchase the Covid 19 Insurance from any Insurer, provided it covers the required S100,000 medical treatment. The one thing to beware and to check the conditions of the policy are that some have a 15 day exclusion period for submitting claims.
Ideally you want a policy that starts and covers you from day one of entry.

• Like 1

For everybody currently entering Thailand the CoE requirement stipulates that you need to have subscribed to a 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance, which covers the period of your stay. 

That period is the permission to stay date stamped in your passport when entering Thailand, and dependent on which Visa you enter the insurance is needed for 45 days (when entering Visa Exempt), 60 days (when entering on a Single or Multiple Entry Tourist Visa), 90 days (when entering on a Non Imm O Visa or STV) and 1 year (when entering on a Non Imm O-A Visa).

The 100.000 US # covid-treatment insurance ONLY needs to cover covid-19 treatment (hence several Thai insurers offering covid-19 ONLY policies to meet that requirement).

In several insurance policies (e.g. SafetyWing travel-insurance) the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment is included in the accident/illness coverage, and - crazy but true - their policies are often even cheaper than the Thai covid-19 only policies.

When flying Emirates your ticket will include a FREE +100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance, which can be used to meet the CoE requirements.  However, a one-way ticket will only provide you with 30 days free insurance (which is not sufficient to meet the period of stay requirement).  But a return-ticket will provide you with coverage for the full period of your trip.

= = = = =

There is NO connection between that 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance requirement, and the mandatory 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance policy you need to have when applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa, an STV, or - currently as part of the CoE requirements - when applying for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (or wanting to return on the Re-Entry Permit protected permission to stay from the 1-year retirement extension based on your original Non Imm O Visa).

>> There are Thai insurers that offer policies that meet both these separate requirements, and the AXA Sawasdee travel-insurance policy meets BOTH the 400K/40 K health-insurance requirement as well as the 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage requirement.

There are also foreign/international insurers that provide policies that meet both requirements.  However, in order for the 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance coverage to be accepted by the Thai Embassy, the foreign insurer needs to issue a Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that your policy with them meets the Thai requirements (and your foreign insurer will be reluctant to sign that FIC as it refers to legislation with which he is not familiar).

= = = = =

Do send me a PM on which Visa (or expiry date of your current valid re-entry permit) you intend to enter Thailand, as well as your age/nationality.  These factors will determine which option is most advantageous in your case.

Cheers and success.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Do I have this right, the coverage only has to be for the length of time on permission to stay, but needs to be a minimum of 45 days on a non imm O visa extension? If that's the case the Emirates 30 day with no return could not be used then?

5 hours ago, thai3 said:

Do I have this right, the coverage only has to be for the length of time on permission to stay, but needs to be a minimum of 45 days on a non imm O visa extension? If that's the case the Emirates 30 day with no return could not be used then?

The Insurance has to cover the period of stay granted on entry.
If you had an extension of stay valid until November, then you'd need cover for at least 4 months to cover that period. Likewise if your extension was valid until March 2022, then you'd need cover for 9 months.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 10:48 AM, thai3 said:

No, that's not correct and not what I posted in > https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/2107-covid-19-insurance-from-abroad/?do=findComment&comment=11130

# 1 - The 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance needs to cover 'the full period of your stay', which means that it depends on which Visa you enter Thailand.  So it needs to cover at least the period of the permission to stay that will be stamped in your passport on entering Thailand.  It is correct that when entering Visa Exempt you would thus only need a 45-day insurance policy coverage, but entering on a different Visa will require 60, 90, 180 or 360 covid-insurance policy coverage.  And when entering on a Re-Entry Permit from a 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O or O-A Visa, the covid-insurance needs to cover the period for which you will be stamped on (the expiry date of that 1-year extension).

# 2 - The FREE 100.000 US $ covid-insurance when flying Emirates, only provides 30 days of coverage when flying one-way, which is not sufficient to meet the COE covid-insurance requirement (see #1).  But when you book a RETURN flight it will cover the full period between flights.  So if you plan to return to your point of departure within 1 year, it is just a matter of booking that outbound flight date AFTER the permission to stay date you would receive on entering Thailand.  As you can currently change flight-dates on Emirates at no cost it is not even necessary to buy a flexible ticket when you do not yet know when you would use that outbound flight.

• Like 2

Now here is a worry for Thai insurance requirement.

Syn Mun Kong Insurance on Friday announced it was cancelling its Covid-19 insurance policies with customers, saying the rapidly deteriorating situation made the risk unmanageable.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2149979/syn-mun-kong-cancels-covid-insurance-cites-health-crisis

Is this the trickle from the first hole in the dike. How many more will follow?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Syn Mun Kong Insurance on Friday announced it was cancelling its Covid-19 insurance policies with customers, saying the rapidly deteriorating situation made the risk unmanageable.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2149979/syn-mun-kong-cancels-covid-insurance-cites-health-crisis

Afaik that insurer only provides covid-19 insurance for those already residing in Thailand (and thus mostly Thai clientele).

But it is indeed possible and even likely that in view of the current situation that Thai and foreign health-insurance and travel-insurance companies might up their fees or amend the coverage-package they provide to deal with the situation.

• Like 1

I decided to pay a bit extra and go with a reputable insurance company like Manulife, my Air Canada ticket covered up to 21 days so I just had to pay for the remaining 24 for my visa exempt.

I have only had experience with car insurance and found it's better to go with reliable companies that will actually pay out on claims when you need it. There was a Manulife full coverage option for COVID-19 travel, I'll be sure to use up some of the claims on medical expenses while I am here to mitigate the cost.

Immigration didn't really check any of my documents other than glancing at them (ie didn't call to check any of it was valid) so you could probably get away with any insurance if you're just trying to fill the requirements for entry.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:52 PM, BlueSphinx said:

For everybody currently entering Thailand the CoE requirement stipulates that you need to have subscribed to a 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance, which covers the period of your stay. 

That period is the permission to stay date stamped in your passport when entering Thailand, and dependent on which Visa you enter the insurance is needed for 45 days (when entering Visa Exempt), 60 days (when entering on a Single or Multiple Entry Tourist Visa), 90 days (when entering on a Non Imm O Visa or STV) and 1 year (when entering on a Non Imm O-A Visa).

The 100.000 US # covid-treatment insurance ONLY needs to cover covid-19 treatment (hence several Thai insurers offering covid-19 ONLY policies to meet that requirement).

In several insurance policies (e.g. SafetyWing travel-insurance) the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment is included in the accident/illness coverage, and - crazy but true - their policies are often even cheaper than the Thai covid-19 only policies.

When flying Emirates your ticket will include a FREE +100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance, which can be used to meet the CoE requirements.  However, a one-way ticket will only provide you with 30 days free insurance (which is not sufficient to meet the period of stay requirement).  But a return-ticket will provide you with coverage for the full period of your trip.

= = = = =

There is NO connection between that 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance requirement, and the mandatory 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance policy you need to have when applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa, an STV, or - currently as part of the CoE requirements - when applying for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (or wanting to return on the Re-Entry Permit protected permission to stay from the 1-year retirement extension based on your original Non Imm O Visa).

>> There are Thai insurers that offer policies that meet both these separate requirements, and the AXA Sawasdee travel-insurance policy meets BOTH the 400K/40 K health-insurance requirement as well as the 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage requirement.

There are also foreign/international insurers that provide policies that meet both requirements.  However, in order for the 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance coverage to be accepted by the Thai Embassy, the foreign insurer needs to issue a Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that your policy with them meets the Thai requirements (and your foreign insurer will be reluctant to sign that FIC as it refers to legislation with which he is not familiar).

= = = = =

Do send me a PM on which Visa (or expiry date of your current valid re-entry permit) you intend to enter Thailand, as well as your age/nationality.  These factors will determine which option is most advantageous in your case.

Cheers and success.

This is great info thanks.

Emirates is by far my preferred Airline so decision made re airline and insurance.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 7:44 PM, dj230 said:

I decided to pay a bit extra and go with a reputable insurance company like Manulife, my Air Canada ticket covered up to 21 days so I just had to pay for the remaining 24 for my visa exempt.

I have only had experience with car insurance and found it's better to go with reliable companies that will actually pay out on claims when you need it. There was a Manulife full coverage option for COVID-19 travel, I'll be sure to use up some of the claims on medical expenses while I am here to mitigate the cost.

Immigration didn't really check any of my documents other than glancing at them (ie didn't call to check any of it was valid) so you could probably get away with any insurance if you're just trying to fill the requirements for entry.

I'm a bit confused by your post. You are saying immigration didn't even check you had insurance?  

Was this maybe covered as part of your requirements to be allowed to come to Thailand due to requirements there?

On 7/16/2021 at 8:37 PM, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

So I assume they announced a refund at the same time!

Good company that backs out of a legal contract .... NOT!

2 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

I'm a bit confused by your post. You are saying immigration didn't even check you had insurance?  

Was this maybe covered as part of your requirements to be allowed to come to Thailand due to requirements there?

What I meant was, you didn't need to "have" insurance, you just needed to have a piece of paper that said you did. So the reputability of the insurance company, doesn't really matter. So I am assuming if you're just trying to meet the requirements, you could go with the cheapest company to get through immigrations.

• Like 1