Friday Covid Update: 9,276 new infections and 72 deaths

Thaiger

One has to wonder where Phuket detainees sandboxers will be able to travel upon release. 

Chiang Mai may be open > our daily case trend went from single digits to 17, 26, 31 and now 30 again today:

The data below is as released by the Chiang Mai Communicable Disease Committee at 1:06 pm Friday, July 9.

30 new COVID-19 cases in Chiang Mai Province today

the third wave total is now 4,325

4,145 now recovered (+21)

26 dead (no change)

2 hours ago, gummy said:

But didn't those ex American Presidents/ex Army Generals receive a reputable standard of education ? Whereas as we all know everything can bought in Thailand 

Education does not necessary makes a man Wise. 

There's a reality check twitter thread here from a foreign doctor and his family, including children + nanny etc in Thailand with his experience of the group catching covid, one died and the father and 2 and a half year old son both in serious condition in hospital. 

This is sobering reading and well worth the effort and yes young children can suffer seriously with the virus, I would paste it hear but it is too long, here's the first couple of tweets then you need to follow the thread:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

One has to wonder where Phuket detainees sandboxers will be able to travel upon release.

I would say this is perhaps the most interesting too see by numbers.

Edited by Shark
miss-quote-fixed

8 minutes ago, PatrickSatoLee said:

Education does not necessary makes a man Wise. 

So conversly you are saying that a lack of education has made the PM a wise man ?

14 minutes ago, billybob said:

There's a reality check twitter thread here from a foreign doctor and his family, including children + nanny etc in Thailand with his experience of the group catching covid, one died and the father and 2 and a half year old son both in serious condition in hospital. 

This is sobering reading and well worth the effort and yes young children can suffer seriously with the virus, I would paste it hear but it is too long, here's the first couple of tweets then you need to follow the thread:

Wow ... sobering indeed. 

Should be mandatory reading.

19 minutes ago, gummy said:

So conversly you are saying that a lack of education has made the PM a wise man ?

keyword : does not necessary.

so having education does not make PM wise neither, having no education is even worse. 

51 minutes ago, Shark said:

I still hate the word farang

Me too and you will never hear or read me using it. I always weigh it out for how a Thai says it in what tone, but the most condescending I have heard it come from are the young children using it as learned from their mom and dad. They don't know better but is a definite want to strangle the little ball of joys. One thing for where I live at is they definitely don't want to get me going as they all know I have a machine gun mouth back at them in their own language. Anyway don't stress to hard and try to take it with a grain of salt or water off a ducks back as I do. Here in CM is ok and I am usually always looked at and treated ok. Take care.

55 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Chiang Mai may be open > our daily case trend went from single digits to 17, 26, 31 and now 30 again today:

The data below is as released by the Chiang Mai Communicable Disease Committee at 1:06 pm Friday, July 9.

26 dead (no change)

Yikes! Not looking good. Time for a quick run and then to buy my first wave of supplies for tonight's libations. Tomorrow is the rest.

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Me too and you will never hear or read me using it. I always weigh it out for how a Thai says it in what tone, but the most condescending I have heard it come from are the young children using it as learned from their mom and dad. They don't know better but is a definite want to strangle the little ball of joys. One thing for where I live at is they definitely don't want to get me going as they all know I have a machine gun mouth back at them in their own language. Anyway don't stress to hard and try to take it with a grain of salt or water off a ducks back as I do. Here in CM is ok and I am usually always looked at and treated ok. Take care.

Been here too long to care what people call me now. If they want to call me a Farang that's fine and I just smile and do not take offence. When I retort "you wanker" they just smile also so it works both ways

Edited by gummy

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Been here too long to care what people call me now. If they want to call me a Farang that's fine and I just smile and do not take offence. When I retort "you wanker" they just smile also so it works both ways

That's the spirit. 

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

One hundred percent, You don't see me using it here either.

It's a negative word, one way or another. Implies to promote discrimination. I don't listen to it - and it's often also used to gossip about a 'whole' group (people whom are not Thai or half-thai).

Oh, I speak Thai too and understand even more (as I read and write it). I tend to normally just don't listen to it :-) works best, then they want to address you differently... takes them some brain capacity.

Some places the hate for foreigners is more then others. I love CM. Never had any problems up in the North.

I always make Thai woman laugh, if they ask me where I'm from (they tend to still do this....) and I reply in Thai that my country is Thailand.

no shit ..... already at 10000 hummm it was quicker than expected ............ they should have listen to me few months ago lol ......... anyway no need to be general or other ex soldier to be idiot lol in France they did exactly the same crap and they are all form the best elite university ....they are just a bunch of imbecile. so now what?

5 hours ago, Richard10365 said:

I agree! Darn that George Washington guy and all them other American Generals who became President of the United States. They were terrible presidents! 

They were ex generals and didn't overthrow an elected civilian government 

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Where are the provincel totals and what are the restrictions for the red zones 

The restrictions I suspect are based on how much money you have, who you know and associations with those that run this country. In other words for those privileged few or those with connections then no restrictions, as for the normal Thais, do as you are told and crawl on the ground in obedience as you have always been told and question nobody

Edited by gummy

The ever excellent  Khaosod reporter Pravit show a hospital full to bursting in Bangkok. The hashtag #whatishappeninginthailand is a great way to filter Twitter for real-time feeds. 

25 minutes ago, gummy said:

The restrictions I suspect are based on how much money you have, who you know and associations with those that run this country. In other words for those privileged few or those with connections then no restrictions, as for the normal Thais, do as you are told and crawl on the ground in obedience as you have always been told and question nobody

The way things are going the rich must be worried their private hospitals will be overrun or besieged by suffering people needing help. No doubt fully vaccinated richest families will have their own private ICU's in their palatial mansions just in case it's needed. 

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

What's your source for the "Bangkokians in the South"?

This is simply untrue, as were previous comments that there are different rules on arrival for Thais and foreigners when the rules on arrival are identical and the difference is whether they are domestic or international arrivals.

"foreigners" are not required to register where they go on leaving - only those who arrived on the Sandbox scheme.  Other foreigners may well be asked, but so may Thais.

This supposed official discrimination simply doesn't exist as described.

Officially no it doesn’t. Practically it does and you would need to have your head 6 feet down in the sand not to see it. Treatment and attitudes to foreigners is no different to during normal times when foreigners are targeted by police for not wearing helmets in Pattaya or one price for food in a restaurant compared to Thais. None of these actions are “Official” but they happen. And it’s the same with Covid.  

4 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

26 dead (no change)

thanks for the info!

Hit soon the 10,000 you mean tomorrow that is I said it months ago it will get a lot more worse... and it is andni can say it again because it will a lot more worse it will go over the 20,000 and even a lot more then that

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

Hit soon the 10,000 you mean tomorrow that is I said it months ago it will get a lot more worse... and it is andni can say it again because it will a lot more worse it will go over the 20,000 and even a lot more then that

Bright ray of sunshine you are ?

Could go that way with current management personnel in charge. ?

31 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

I am not entirely sure about this Stonker.

When I was in Thailand in May (ASQ)  they did want to know my where abouts after quarantine.

This was part of the immigration check in the airport. But I don't know if sandbox will differ in this regard.

At the airport, yes, and after ASQ - exactly the same for Thai returnees.

That's not the same as the sandbox, though, as plenty of foreigners come and go who have been in Thailand for years.

14 hours ago, gummy said:

But didn't those ex American Presidents/ex Army Generals receive a reputable standard of education ? Whereas as we all know everything can bought in Thailand 

They also didn't have a cabinet or legislature packed with other "generals" backing them.