JP Morgan includes Thailand in 5 economies most at risk from Delta variant

Thaiger

The investment banking firm JP Morgan says there are 5 emerging economies that are most vulnerable to the Delta variant – and Thailand is one of them. According to a Reuters report, the others are South Africa, Colombia, the Philippines, and Peru. The primary reason given for these findings is the low rate of vaccination, with analysts comparing the pace of vaccine rollouts with the spread of the Delta variant first reported in India. In some countries, mass vaccination is not happening quickly enough to offset the surge in infections caused by the highly contagious variant. The findings indicate that […]

The post JP Morgan includes Thailand in 5 economies most at risk from Delta variant appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I guess someone was paid zillions to state the obvious although I'd dispute the 'emerging economy', for Thailand at least.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I guess someone was paid zillions to state the obvious although I'd dispute the 'emerging economy', for Thailand at least.

If the current collection of traitorous muppets remain in charge for much longer, we might well watch Thailand become a "submerging economy".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

If the current collection of traitorous muppets remain in charge for much longer, we might well watch Thailand become a "submerging economy".

Very true!  That's why submarines are on order. 55

Edited by KaptainRob
Added info :)
  • Haha 7

Would this mean a crash of the 'super strong' THB?

I guess this opportunity opens more tourism too.

1EUR/GBP/USD -> 80THB would be welcomed I guess.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shark said:

Would this mean a crash of the 'super strong' THB?

I guess this opportunity opens more tourism too.

1EUR/GBP/USD -> 80THB would be welcomed I guess.

I can remember 72 THB = 1 GBP. The problem with reaching that again is that it would drastically impact inflation. Even 5/6 years ago it was in the 50's which in itself would be a big jump from just now which is 45.02

Edited by gummy

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

I can remember 72 THB = 1 GBP. The problem with reaching that again is that it would drastically impact inflation. Even 5/6 years ago it was in the 50's which in itself would be a big jump from just now which is 45.02

Gasoline is already going through the roof anyways. So inflation is coming left or right.

39 minutes ago, Shark said:

Gasoline is already going through the roof anyways. So inflation is coming left or right.

Well true but that is more driven by the oil price rather than the THB rate. Remember a barrel of Brent crude was 41.96  US $ average last year where as now it is 64.76 this year so even if the exchange rates had remained it has still increased by 54 %

Thailand should stop public transportations due to paper masks are useless plus inspect live freezed items like meat,chickens & sea foods due virus transfer though this items more than air.

9 hours ago, gummy said:

I can recall similar levels back in 2007 and before the 2008 financial crash. However, looking back over the last 50 years or more, the average exchange rate is around the 40-45 baht per one GBP. Those days back in the early and mid 2000’s along with a brief period following the mid 1996 Asian crash were brief. I know a number of people who moved out to Thailand on their U.K.  pension at that time and lived a fools paradise with 60,000-80,000 baht a month. They have since seen their income drop by around 40% since then along with normal inflation which their pensions don’t keep up with. In real terms they have lost 50%-60% of what they had when they first moved out. Another reason why you should keep one foot back home. Especially if your state pension is not index linked if you live abroad.   

The attached picture shows the exchange rate over the years since 1960

93CB337D-F64F-408F-B3E7-03D2DD823BA3.jpeg

Edited by Soidog
Added picture
  • Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, SickBuffalo said:

It's almost a game with them to see how far they can sink it. Have to say they are quite good at it.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 12:21 PM, ozz1 said:

what about my submarines how am i going to pay for them if the baht crashes ?

Yes. Those Captains getting Submarine Pay might be in for a hard time.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Suggestions from this group are always the subtle signal of intent, they plan to restructure Thailand to conform with the current western ideals

• Like 1