Thailand ranked 3rd to last worldwide on Covid-19 handling

Thaiger

In a display of just how far you can fall, Thailand, once ranked as one of the top countries in the world for Covid-19 handling is now almost at the bottom of the rankings, number 118 out of 120. The Nikkei Asia Covid-19 recovery index calculated data from 120 countries worldwide and ranked Thailand third from last. The study combines data on the infection rate and management, social mobility, and vaccine rollouts, ranking a country higher as they edge closer to recovery by means of high vaccination rates, low Covid-19 infection rates, and how limiting Covid-19 safety measures are. Thailand, […]

The post Thailand ranked 3rd to last worldwide on Covid-19 handling appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Oh Wow. One of your own Neille Fronde writing that. Sure shows some big chimichangas to print that here. Did he write the entire piece or cut and paste some. Pretty darn hard hitting. 

Edited by HolyCowCm
  • Like 3

I could go for a Chimichanga, a proper one, not like the one euphemistically referenced above. 

But yeah, bold post, Cotton, let's see how it plays out. Hopefully the Thaiger isn't disappeared from the interwebs here in a day. ??‍♂️

1 minute ago, Objectivance said:

I could go for a Chimichanga, a proper one, not like the one euphemistically referenced above. 

But yeah, bold post, Cotton, let's see how it plays out. Hopefully the Thaiger isn't disappeared from the interwebs here in a day. ??‍♂️

Nothing like real USA Mexican food. And not like in reference to the chimichangas noted. Those are like Rocky Mountain oysters. Hahahahaha 

• Haha 1

The problem I have with these surveys is assessing their credibility. A couple of years go, I saw a survey which said that TH had the 6th best health service in the world. When you looked at how this was scored, it was on the basis of several criteria that were given equal weight of up to 100 pts each. TH scored very well in every category except for medical expertise where they got 18 out of 100. When I dug a bit further, I worked out that if they got 0 for this category, they would still be in 8th place. Think about it? A country with the worst doctors in the world could still end up being ranked the 8th best for healthcare.

I've had a look at this survey and saw the UK ranked 48th. Really? Apart from the vax rollout, just about everything PM Johnson has done, has been a disaster, including allowing thousands of travellers from India to enter the country on the basis of a "negative pre-flight PCR test", with no further screening. This is in a country where it would not be too difficult for a man to get a certificate stating that he is 11 months pregnant. Within a matter of weeks, Delta was accounting for 97-99% of all new infection. In the space of just 10 weeks, infections have gone from 2k per day to 32k, and are currently at their highest for 5 months.

The UK has a similar population to TH. It has had 50X more deaths and 19X more infections. To top it all off, in spite of these past and current figures, the UK will almost fully reopen on July 19th. If you were reading those stats and you heard that one country was ranked 48th, and the other 118th, would you be able to say that the UK was ahead of TH?

• Like 8

I think this time last year there were reports of a doc being madecon how well Thailand had done with the so called pandemic.

This year it's a different situation ranked 3d lowest in the world at dealing with the problems of the pandemic.

What I find most disturbing is how the rich have had easy access to the trial MRN injection and those who are seen as in more need of this injection are still waiting.

All this when the kingdom has just spent a large amount of money on an add which paints Thailand as the place to be, to attract  people back to Thailand for an amazing vacation. 

"The top five countries in order are China, Malta, Poland, Italy, and Austria."

Uh huh, and the NK people are lavished with countless freedoms and an abundance of food.

• Like 1

China may be ranked at the top, but that is if you believe their numbers. After all, it's not like the CCP would lie about anything, right? Only about GDP, Xinjiang, human to human transmission of a negligible virus etc etc etc. So, a) China, officially, does not count asymptomatic cases (!). That's easily 10 times the number they're reporting. b) If they've been having so few cases since late last year, why did they basically cancel Spring Festival travel in February, and why did they put Guangdong on lockdown in May? After all they claim exemplary testing and quarantine procedures. c) The Nikkei ranks them high on the vaccination drive, but curiously they didn't start that till April (2-3 months after the EU and the US). Could the reason for the delay have been local resistance?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Remi said:

What I find most disturbing is how the rich have had easy access to the trial MRN injection and those who are seen as in more need of this injection are still waiting.

I have a very connected close to me rich Thai friend in BKK. He owns a factory. He asked me if I wanted to get the jab as he worries about me like a brother. I said not thanks I will wait. Anyway, he was able to secure a certain amount of Sinovac for him and his family and not sure how many more for his factory. 

11 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

When you looked at how this was scored, it was on the basis of several criteria that were given equal weight of up to 100 pts each. TH scored very well in every category except for medical expertise where they got 18 out of 100.

Also they got a 100 out of 100 for brown envelopes. Surely that put them as high as 6th. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Also they got a 100 out of 100 for brown envelopes. Surely that put them as high as 6th. 

Funny! But it was actually from a customer satisfaction survey. Of course, that doesn't rule out brown envelopes. I suppose the medicos at the TH hospitals must have forgot to send theirs in.

I wonder if this rating will get a mention on the daily CCSA news briefing? They always seemed so keen to mention it when Thailand was high on the list.

It is a huge loss of face for the Thai Government. Perhaps it might actually spur them on to do better....I won't hold my breath!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

I wonder if this rating will get a mention on the daily CCSA news briefing? They always seemed so keen to mention it when Thailand was high on the list.

It is a huge loss of face for the Thai Government. Perhaps it might actually spur them on to do better....I won't hold my breath!

The Thai government has lost so much face it is more equateable to a rectum expulsion

22 hours ago, Thaiger said:

In a display of just how far you can fall, Thailand, once ranked as one of the top countries in the world for Covid-19 handling is now almost at the bottom of the rankings, number 118 out of 120. The Nikkei Asia Covid-19 recovery index calculated data from 120 countries worldwide and ranked Thailand third from last. The study combines data on the infection rate and management, social mobility, and vaccine rollouts, ranking a country higher as they edge closer to recovery by means of high vaccination rates, low Covid-19 infection rates, and how limiting Covid-19 safety measures are. Thailand, […]

The post Thailand ranked 3rd to last worldwide on Covid-19 handling appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A Thai friend living at Hua Hin was given an appointment a month ago for her first Covid-19 vaccination. Arriving today at the hospital she was told there was no vaccine available.

Why are Thai Authorities so reluctant to update their customers. They have the necessary contact details but seem indolent or ignorant about using them.

People give up a day's wages to attend the hospital where staff are remunerated for indolence. About time these Thai institutions respected their customers, the public whom they are employed to serve.

I am a great believer in the resilience of the ordinary Thai people in overcoming adversity. It is a pity that when these same people become part of a Government institution they become QZWX.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Remi said:

I think this time last year there were reports of a doc being madecon how well Thailand had done with the so called pandemic.

I think Thailand did a marvellous job at one stage. My recollections are as follows:

Initially, I recall them being concerned about a lack of tourists, and the gov were thinking along the lines of giving Visa Free travel to Chinese. My initial response was, "What? Do you not know where Wuhan is"? That plan was abandoned thankfully. Soon after, they adopted a policy of border screening at all entries, and in the first 4 million cases, they intercepted about 8000 suspect cases, who were isolated for further investigation, and with the exception of the Boxing Stadium outbreak, most cases were a handful a day.

I had arrived in Pattaya just two days before they started the lockdown. I toughed it out for ten days and with  18 days left of my trip. I headed home. At BKK airport, I couldn't get into the terminal without a temp check.  Arriving at LHR en route to Dublin There was no screening at all, and I was free to wander from terminal to terminal unrestricted. The UK did not introduce border controls for this until July. I recall seeing an interview with the Transport Sec, Shaps, who was asked in April, why there were no border controls? He replied, "Because the virus is already here"!

I listened to him yesterday boasting that the UK now had the most stringent border controls in the world. That got me thinking about the gov's recent 96 hour warning to those who were in India, to return home or face 14 days hotel quarantine at £175 per night. Knowing the level of corruption in India, you have to ask yourself, how many of those with PCR had actually taken the test, or had test results falsified so they could board the flights. Regardless, none of these certs were challenged by border control and there weren't even temp checks. Is it any coincidence that infections which were near 2k a day when these people all rushed back to the UK, started to rise rapidly and they are now at 32k with a reported 97-99% of these being the Indian Delta variant

But my post has two points. My first is how and why it all went wrong for TH when the did such a job initially? The second is that I see the Phuket Sandbox as being an example of how the UK could and should have dealt with their own probs. Phuket like the UK, is an island, and it now has border controls. The interception of the infected passenger from the Emirates flight, goes to the credit of Phuket. What they are doing, is what the UK should have done at a very early stage.

I know that there many who are praying for the Sandbox to fail, especially the "I told you so" mob. I would think that Boris also wants it to fail, because it will show him up for the idiot he has been throughout thos whole affair.

I really don’t wish to sound like I’m gloating as it’s too damn serious to be lighthearted about it. people’s life’s and livelihoods are in ruins. However, there was a sense of inevitability in all this. Even at the start of the pandemic, when Thailand had the first reported case outside China, the feeling was this was going to be bad news. Then, the authorities did the easy part, Lockdown. It was always going to be the easy part. Closing down and doing nothing was simple and played to the strengths of the military. Then as things progressed and you needed a number of organisations to collaborate and share information and have open and honest debate, the Thai cultural limitations held it back. Coupled with the corruption issues and fear to speak ones mind, they were slow out of the blocks in the vaccine procurement. Now, it will take nothing short of a miracle to save the situation. Their best bet would be to start again. Lockdown and in parallel do all they can to get as much quality vaccine as possible. Basically they have wasted a year.

So so sad for the average Thai people. If this doesn’t lead to regime change, I don’t think it ever will change. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I think Thailand did a marvellous job at one stage. My recollections are as follows:

Initially, I recall them being concerned about a lack of tourists, and the gov were thinking along the lines of giving Visa Free travel to Chinese. My initial response was, "What? Do you not know where Wuhan is"? That plan was abandoned thankfully. Soon after, they adopted a policy of border screening at all entries, and in the first 4 million cases, they intercepted about 8000 suspect cases, who were isolated for further investigation, and with the exception of the Boxing Stadium outbreak, most cases were a handful a day.

I had arrived in Pattaya just two days before they started the lockdown. I toughed it out for ten days and with  18 days left of my trip. I headed home. At BKK airport, I couldn't get into the terminal without a temp check.  Arriving at LHR en route to Dublin There was no screening at all, and I was free to wander from terminal to terminal unrestricted. The UK did not introduce border controls for this until July. I recall seeing an interview with the Transport Sec, Shaps, who was asked in April, why there were no border controls? He replied, "Because the virus is already here"!

I listened to him yesterday boasting that the UK now had the most stringent border controls in the world. That got me thinking about the gov's recent 96 hour warning to those who were in India, to return home or face 14 days hotel quarantine at £175 per night. Knowing the level of corruption in India, you have to ask yourself, how many of those with PCR had actually taken the test, or had test results falsified so they could board the flights. Regardless, none of these certs were challenged by border control and there weren't even temp checks. Is it any coincidence that infections which were near 2k a day when these people all rushed back to the UK, started to rise rapidly and they are now at 32k with a reported 97-99% of these being the Indian Delta variant

But my post has two points. My first is how and why it all went wrong for TH when the did such a job initially? The second is that I see the Phuket Sandbox as being an example of how the UK could and should have dealt with their own probs. Phuket like the UK, is an island, and it now has border controls. The interception of the infected passenger from the Emirates flight, goes to the credit of Phuket. What they are doing, is what the UK should have done at a very early stage.

I know that there many who are praying for the Sandbox to fail, especially the "I told you so" mob. I would think that Boris also wants it to fail, because it will show him up for the idiot he has been throughout thos whole affair.

Sorry, although I think the U.K. did a terrible job in the early stages of locking down and at several stages last year, To compare the U.K. to Phuket is pushing things too far. The U.K. is one of the richest, multicultural, largest manufacturing countries in the world. It consists of multiple countries with multiple laws and institutions and a population of over 65 million people operating under liberal laws. The only thing it shares with Phuket is that it’s surrounded by water! 

Im not defending the U.K. or how they managed the initial response. However, the vaccination response has been amazing and it deserves as much praise for the vaccination phase as it does criticism for the lockdown phase. 

I want Phuket to succeed. I have a keen interest in returning to Thailand. I have many friends with businesses in Thailand which are suffering. All this inept response to the vaccination phase is putting it all at risk.  

50 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry, although I think the U.K. did a terrible job in the early stages of locking down and at several stages last year, To compare the U.K. to Phuket is pushing things too far. The U.K. is one of the richest, multicultural, largest manufacturing countries in the world. It consists of multiple countries with multiple laws and institutions and a population of over 65 million people operating under liberal laws. The only thing it shares with Phuket is that it’s surrounded by water! 

Im not defending the U.K. or how they managed the initial response. However, the vaccination response has been amazing and it deserves as much praise for the vaccination phase as it does criticism for the lockdown phase. 

I want Phuket to succeed. I have a keen interest in returning to Thailand. I have many friends with businesses in Thailand which are suffering. All this inept response to the vaccination phase is putting it all at risk.  

My comparison is that both the UK and Phuket are islands, and Phuket is adopting apparently stringent security measures as an island in order to prevent the importation of further infections. My point is that the UK had the same opportunity albeit on a much larger scale. 

England has an 800 year history of hearing about plagues starting in the Mediterranean which arrived two years later killing millions. Obviously today, the speed at which this moves is much faster, but among the first cases in the UK, were two Chinese students who had been home to Wuhan for Chinese New Year and were returning to Uni in York. Just about the same time, there were the UK expats who were airlifted from Wuhan. They were immediately taken to a quarantine facility. It was glaringly obvious that this was going to arrive in the UK through foreign travel, and yet Bojo did nothing to start controlling the borders for months. Even when they did, it was often totally lacking in joined up thinking. An example of that was when they dedicated a terminal at LHR to Covid Screening, but also allowed flights from countries that were not considered high risk to use tat same terminal. They then put a rope barrier between the suspects and non-suspects to separate them. How effective do you think that rope was preventing transfer as both groups walked alongside each other. 

If you think I am being excessively critical of the UK in not using the protection of being an island, then consider this: of all the island nations in the world with a population of 1 mill plus and a single gov, the UK has the worst death rate of 1880 per million. In second place is Cyprus 380. How is it possible that being on an Island with control over our own borders, that we can have a death rate 5  X worse then the next worst case, other than through total incompetence? I say we because I am an ex-pat dual national living in Ireland. 

They do indeed deserve credit for the vax rollout and there is no way that TH will ever be able to compete with that. But on the evidence so far of the UK having a population similar to TH, can the Thais be embarrassed when the UK have had 50x more deaths than them. The UK stats are what you get when you have a populist running the country.

• Like 1

Imagine my shock... Turning public health into politics and corruption there is no wonder this has happened. When it comes out about the politicians bartering with vaccine companies, and it will, don't be too shocked. I have a very close friend in the medical profession and he has witnessed 'first hand' negotiations with Pharma companies and the delays in vaccine orders because the Government officials weren't happy with the 'cut'.  NOT Kidding, it's a disgrace.

If the real figures could be found out they would be at the bottom, along with their IT systems for registering foreigners, lack of vaccine procurement planning and the likely home production of AZ shortfall. All in all a failure on every front. On the other hand the hospitals and staff have done a great job at the vaccination end, let down by ineffective, confused and incapable government.

Edited by thai3

cock·y

/ˈkäkē/

adjective

conceited or arrogant, especially in a bold or impudent way.

"we were young, brash, cocky—we knew everything"

synonyms: arrogant, conceited, overconfident, overweening, cocksure, smug, haughty, supercilious, disdainful, lofty, patronizing, proud, vain, vainglorious, self-important, swollen-headed, egotistical, presumptuous, lordly, pompous, blustering, boastful, brash, self-assertive, opinionated, bold, forward, insolent, high and mighty, throwing one's weight around, uppish, hubristic

Pretty much sums up this government. 

Boot's on other foot now though. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, Objectivance said:

"The top five countries in order are China, Malta, Poland, Italy, and Austria."

Uh huh, and the NK people are lavished with countless freedoms and an abundance of food.

China ranked number one ?

We are of course taking into account the reliability of the declared statistics here.

In the UK we have to be open as there are opposition's parties, the press, the independent consultants and freedom of speech to keep information in check.

Thailand is a military dictatorship and can suppress the information as it pleases.

Look at the exponential rise in cases in the UK at the moment due to the Indian variant, 35,000 new cases a day but due to the vaccine roll out very few actual deaths.

The Indian variant has been in Thailand for months yet no massive growth in cases, this can not be possible.