Phuket Sandbox growing with 33 airlines requesting flights

Thaiger

9 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I am in Ireland. As I said, all I want is warm weather, low risk and no extended quarantine home or away. I've had my second shot, but the 14 day qualifying time for AZ ends July 15th.

I'm booked to land in Phuket Aug 5th. It should have been the 4th but I would have had to transit through LHR, and the way the infection rate is there at the moment (1500% increase to 30k new infections daily in past ten weeks) , I anticipate the possibility that the UK might be redlisted.

Not complaining about the rules, but it seems ironic that you can fly to direct to Phuket from London, where the infection rate is 4 times worse than in Thailand, but you can't fly direct from BKK or vice versa without  doing 14 days quarantine.

I’m sure there are plenty of places nearer to home such as Greece where you can get sun and relax. I’m not sure what the Irish government rules are for Greece but I’d be surprised if they are any worse than Thailand?

I wouldn’t worry about transiting LHR. Although the U.K. reports 35,000 a day and rising, this is because the U.K. tests many times more people than in Thailand and it also has free lateral flow test kits available by post. When people test and record a positive test that also goes in to the numbers. The real numbers everywhere are higher than recorded I suspect. 

• Like 1

Agreed. But I’ve never had anyone adequately explain it to me. Asian kids must either be shown it, taught it, or experiance the effects of not observing it correctly. You would therefore think it was a well understood and documented human emotion?  If someone asked me to explain to a foreigner the emotion of embarrassment or guilt or sense of duty, I reckon I’d have a good go at it. Over the years I’ve asked many people to explain it and it’s never happened. Maybe a topic worthy of its own thread?  

Good idea @Soidogand if you wish, start the thread within https://thethaiger.com/talk/forum/48-culture-religion/

Thank you

42 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Good idea @Soidogand if you wish, start the thread within https://thethaiger.com/talk/forum/48-culture-religion/

Thank you

Done ??  I find it a fascinating topic and to understand it more would unlock a number of knock on issues as well as give a deeper insight to many of Thailand’s day to day frustrations 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m sure there are plenty of places nearer to home such as Greece where you can get sun and relax. I’m not sure what the Irish government rules are for Greece but I’d be surprised if they are any worse than Thailand?

I wouldn’t worry about transiting LHR. Although the U.K. reports 35,000 a day and rising, this is because the U.K. tests many times more people than in Thailand and it also has free lateral flow test kits available by post. When people test and record a positive test that also goes in to the numbers. The real numbers everywhere are higher than recorded I suspect. 

Thanks for your reply.

Greece? First of all, Phuket appears to be doing a great job of active prevention regard CV. Greece is part of Schengen so they have that difficulty to deal with. Phuket on the other hand is virtually an autonomous country right now and are using their powers to do their best to keep CV out. And of course Greece lacks certain attractions that are prevalent through much of Thailand. I shall say no more on that.

The problem with LHR is that logic tells me that with 30k + infections a day, the UK should be on a redlist. If you look at the major populated countries around the world, yesterday, the UK had a new infection rate of one per 2100. Next worst is Brazil at 1 per 3900. At present, Ireland is saying that we will have complete freedom of travel without return quarantine from July 19th. But during the meantime while waiting for my flight, I think the risk of the UK being redlisted is very high and transiting will be impossible through there. Thus my flight is Dub-Doha-Phuket, rather than Dub -LHR-Phuket.

I agree with you that increased testing increases the numbers, but many of the new infections are from people who tested after feeling unwell.