Lockdown not out of the question: CCSA

Thaiger

Will they, won’t they – it’s the question on everyone’s lips as Bangkok residents wait to hear if officials will lock down the capital in a bid to curb the spread of the virus. Natthapol Nakpanich from the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration has not ruled it out, saying the CCSA is prepared to consider all options as new cases are expected to climb to 10,000 a day next week. “People should have a correct understanding of the term ‘lockdown’. Measures, which included a curfew, taken by the government in April last year could be construed as a lockdown, but […]

The post Lockdown not out of the question: CCSA appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

saying the CCSA is prepared to consider all options as new cases are expected to climb to 10,000 a day next week

With 7,000 cases today they have to lock it down before it gets to 10K per day. 

there’s not enough vaccines hence all those orders that will come in around October and that’s being optimistic. 

they’ve also missed their vaccinations target every single day since they launched the vaccine campaign. 

My coworkers have all signed up but won’t get a vaccine until October. 

• Like 1

Lockdown nation wide now. Stop sandbox plans for now, but first of all, lockdown Prayut and his cronies in an excellent Thai prison, awaiting their trials for treason and many other criminal acts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

“People should have a correct understanding of the term ‘lockdown’. Measures, which included a curfew, taken by the government in April last year could be construed as a lockdown, but the restrictions imposed afterwards – such as the shuttering of businesses and a ban on movement of people – were not.”

I think the harshest lock-down was in Wuhan at the start of this pandemic.
I remember watching a video clip (made by a Chinese-Australian who happened to be on holiday there) showing the authorities welding shut main doors to multi-storey apartment blocks, with everyone still in there.

• Like 1

Adding to my earlier comment, I like to stress, that other first priorities should be, real support (not those ineffective examples Prayut and consorts published before, no real, effective - financial - help for as long as needed) for people and small businesses and the immediate implementation of a vaccination program, a program that offers people (all people) vaccination asap with a reliable vaccine. A vaccine of their own choice.

I have to agree with javada88 on this one. But it is time to lock out this Junta government and throw away the key. But ofcourse they will sling the blame somewhere else as they are never wrong and never to blame, but everyone one knows different except for the few old brain dead brain washed ones still caught up in the past still wearing their false rose colored scenic glasses backing them and what they stand and support. I want a future for my kids here. The old saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it, well that is not the case here.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, javada88 said:

Adding to my earlier comment, I like to stress, that other first priorities should be, real support (not those ineffective examples Prayut and consorts published before, no real, effective - financial - help for as long as needed) for people and small businesses and the immediate implementation of a vaccination program, a program that offers people (all people) vaccination asap with a reliable vaccine. A vaccine of their own choice.

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I have to agree with javada88 on this one.

So do I, @HCC, but at the same time we need to be realistic.

Any "real support" is going to be limited since whiile Thailand is far from poor it's also far from rich and can't afford the grand furlough payments the West has made.  The current assistance just doesn't suffice, and the latest plan is deliberately complicated and excludes the poorest and worst affected, but those in the middle and above just have to tighten their belts as those at the bottom have been doing for a year.

And while a "reliable vaccine" and a rational, equitable vaccination plan are so, so badly needed it's not possible to wave a magic wand and to undo the appalling mis-management of the last year.  

Time has to be bought while that mis-management ends and "reliable vaccines" are bought and equitably distributed, and the only way to do that is with a lockdown, at least stopping travel - and that means stopping some money-spinners too, such as the lottery which has been one of the main reasons the virus has spread in parts of Isan.

15 minutes ago, Stonker said:

So do I, @HCC, but at the same time we need to be realistic.

Any "real support" is going to be limited since whiile Thailand is far from poor it's also far from rich and can't afford the grand furlough payments the West has made.  The current assistance just doesn't suffice, and the latest plan is deliberately complicated and excludes the poorest and worst affected, but those in the middle and above just have to tighten their belts as those at the bottom have been doing for a year.

And while a "reliable vaccine" and a rational, equitable vaccination plan are so, so badly needed it's not possible to wave a magic wand and to undo the appalling mis-management of the last year.  

Time has to be bought while that mis-management ends and "reliable vaccines" are bought and equitably distributed, and the only way to do that is with a lockdown, at least stopping travel - and that means stopping some money-spinners too, such as the lottery which has been one of the main reasons the virus has spread in parts of Isan.

A finger needs to be pointed and the guilty punished as we all know the reason why they have not brought in the vaccines. Kowtowing and maybe can figure large undocumented brown envelopes at the expense and endangerment of the good Thai and Foreign people's lives. Nothing more nothing less. Was not mismanagement, and if the general public and many joined renegade doctors did not push it, I am even surprised that Moderna and Pfizer will actually be let in.  I should stop there before going overboard..

• Like 1

and why wouldn't infections rise? The way things are('nt) going 10,000 per day will seem as the good old days in a few weeks

So if just the Bangkok and surrounding areas plus the south are forced into lockdown, what affect will that have on the remaining areas of the country? Mass shopping sprees? People in the Phuket sandbox having plans  delayed for travel to other regions? Countries raising Thailand to higher risk which will force returnees into state quarantine? Lots of what if’s? But no time soon as we will have to wait a few weeks for cabinet to decide.

• Like 1

They should have locked down Bangkok before Songran cause that's when this fire started and now it's spread all over Thailand.

4 hours ago, TSS said:

and why wouldn't infections rise? The way things are('nt) going 10,000 per day will seem as the good old days in a few weeks

If the UK are predicting 100,000 a day from the Delta strain with their high levels of vaccinations then Thailand will be lucky if it does not exceed that 3 fold. What a terrible thought and outlook for the normal Thais.