Confused about Non-Immigrant O visa

Another quick question I currently own my own apartment at Tara court hotel Pattaya if and when they open up sandbox in Pattaya.  Will I be able to quarantine in my own home as it is part of the hotel???

Hi Billy,

I would use a statement from your Irish bank for the Non O application.
You can later just transfer funds from your Irish to Thai bank account to cover living expenses for the duration of your stay.

From a Non Imm O Visa your permitted a 90 day stay on entry.
You can extend that stay one time for a further 60 days to visit Thai spouse. Total 150 days.
Those are unfortunately the only options offered to visit Thai spouse.

On the other hand you can extend your stay for 1 year if you wish, but that would require funds depositing in a Thai bank account of 400K THB for 2 months prior to the 1 year extension of stay application.
The difference being the later option is to stay with Thai spouse (long term) rather than for the reason of visiting Thai spouse (short term).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Billiy said:

Another quick question I currently own my own apartment at Tara court hotel Pattaya if and when they open up sandbox in Pattaya.  Will I be able to quarantine in my own home as it is part of the hotel???

If/when a Pattaya Sandbox scheme is ever launched, it's doubtful you'll be able to stay in your Condo to quarantine. You may be able to visit through the day, but you'll have to stay in designated hotels throughout the night.

• 1 month later...

On 7/10/2021 at 11:00 AM, Faz said:

The Non Imm O Visa based on retirement needs no more than a state pension summary or bank statement showing evidence of receipt of the state pension, which will probably be no more than approx £175 a week. 

Question, I want to apply for a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa and I am 51 (Living in the Netherlands and nationality is Dutch). Financial requirements are not the problem but I do not have a pension state income. And I don't think many people above 51 and below 67 can produce evidence of that?

On the website of the Thai Embassy (The Hague NL) https://hague.thaiembassy.org/th/page/76475-non-immigrant-visa-o-a-(long-stay)?menu=5d81cce815e39c2eb8004f12 they don't mention the evidence of pension payments or statements. 

The financial requirements mentioned are not a problem. Can I apply for the Non-Immigrant Visa O without retirement evidence? 

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by Notarobot
link

Hi @Notarobot and welcome to the forum.

In your above post you've mentioned both the Non Imm O-A Visa and the Non Imm O Visa.
Which one are you enquiring about as they both have different financial requirements.

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

In your above post you've mentioned both the Non Imm O-A Visa and the Non Imm O Visa.
Which one are you enquiring about as they both have different financial requirements.

Hi Faz,

Sorry for the mistake. I mean the Non Imm O-A.

Regards. 

30 minutes ago, Notarobot said:

Question, I want to apply for a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa and I am 51 (Living in the Netherlands and nationality is Dutch). Financial requirements are not the problem but I do not have a pension state income. And I don't think many people above 51 and below 67 can produce evidence of that?

On the website of the Thai Embassy (The Hague NL) https://hague.thaiembassy.org/th/page/76475-non-immigrant-visa-o-a-(long-stay)?menu=5d81cce815e39c2eb8004f12 they don't mention the evidence of pension payments or statements. 

The financial requirements mentioned are not a problem. Can I apply for the Non-Immigrant Visa O without retirement evidence? 

Thanks for your help in advance.

The often used (and incorrect) 'retirement Visa' terminology, did probably put you on the wrong leg.  To apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa or a Non Imm O Visa for 'reason of retirement', you do NOT need to be retired or receiving a pension.  The requirement for both of these Visa is that you are +50 years of age, and can provide evidence of meeting the financial and other requirements.

5 minutes ago, Notarobot said:

Hi Faz,

Sorry for the mistake. I mean the Non Imm O-A.

The reply you read above in answer to another member was a UK national applying for a Non Imm O Visa from the Thai Embassy London, where the requirement for the Non Imm O Visa is either £10,000 or proof of receipt of UK state pension.

You can apply for either the Non Imm O, or Non Imm O-A Visa from the Thai Embassy in Hague, based on retirement. There are marked differences between both these types of Visa application and also once within Thailand.

May I ask, in order to give the best advice, what is your long term intention;
To retire and stay in Thailand permanently for years to come.
To retire and stay in Thailand for a limited time.
I'm also assuming you have no Thai family/spouse.

30 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

The often used (and incorrect) 'retirement Visa' terminology, did probably put you on the wrong leg.  To apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa or a Non Imm O Visa for 'reason of retirement', you do NOT need to be retired or receiving a pension.  The requirement for both of these Visa is that you are +50 years of age, and can provide evidence of meeting the financial and other requirements.

Allright thanks. 

11 minutes ago, Faz said:

May I ask, in order to give the best advice, what is your long term intention;
To retire and stay in Thailand permanently for years to come.
To retire and stay in Thailand for a limited time.
I'm also assuming you have no Thai family/spouse.

My intention is to stay for 5-6 months a year in Thailand every year. But difficult to find a Visa which we have to use for that. 

And my wife (also Dutch nationality) does also meet the financial requirements and the 50+ age.

5 minutes ago, Notarobot said:

My intention is to stay for 5-6 months a year in Thailand every year. But difficult to find a Visa which we have to use for that. 

And my wife (also Dutch nationality) does also meet the financial requirements and the 50+ age.

In that case, being both +50 years of age and no issues with meeting the financial requirements,  applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa for both yourself and your wife at the Thai Embassy in the Hague, is as good as certain your best option. 

I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the somewhat tricky 400K/40K health-insurance requirement which is mandatory when applying for such a Non Imm O-A Visa.  Meeting that specific insurance requirement is neither difficult nor costly (if you know how).  And the small cost for that insurance (between 6.000 and 11.400 THB in the age-brackets between 51 and 75 years of age) is a small price for the almost 2 years of immigration hassle-free stay that the Non Imm O-A Visa can provide, with - NO need to apply for extensions of stay, and NO need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank-account. 

12 minutes ago, Notarobot said:

5-6 months a year is a tricky one at the moment.
Usually I'd recommend the METV (multi entry tourist visa) but that's currently unavailable due to borders being closed.

The Non Imm O-A Visa certainly allows you to stay 5-6 months (up to 1 year) no problem.
If you can enter again (2nd trip) just before the Visa expiration date you'll be permitted to stay again for another 5-6 months (or up to 1 year).

When the METV is introduced again, you can always switch and that can allow you to stay for up to almost 9 months with far less financial requirements to apply for that Visa type.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

In that case, being both +50 years of age and no issues with meeting the financial requirements,  applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa for both yourself and your wife at the Thai Embassy in the Hague, is as good as certain your best option. 

I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the somewhat tricky 400K/40K health-insurance requirement which is mandatory when applying for such a Non Imm O-A Visa.  Meeting that specific insurance requirement is neither difficult nor costly (if you know how).  And the small cost for that insurance (between 6.000 and 11.400 THB in the age-brackets between 51 and 75 years of age) is a small price for the almost 2 years of immigration hassle-free stay that the Non Imm O-A Visa can provide, with - NO need to apply for extensions of stay, and NO need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank-account. 

Thanks again. Will check that. 

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I have only recently started looking into this and don't want to start a new thread.  Instead of getting the Non-Imm O-A in my home country, what someone I know living there advised me to do is just come into the country on a 30 day on arrival tourist visa and then pay $12,500b to a visa agent to get me the Non-Imm O without the medical insurance requirement and without the financial requirements. 

All I need is a Thai bank account (which I already have) that the visa agent apparently deposits 800k into, I then print out a statement showing the money in my account, and then they take it out again.   Seems a bit too good to be true but that is what my friend who lives there apparently does, and he has been there for years.

Edited by samiam123

9 hours ago, samiam123 said:

All I need is a Thai bank account (which I already have) that the visa agent apparently deposits 800k into, I then print out a statement showing the money in my account, and then they take it out again.   Seems a bit too good to be true but that is what my friend who lives there apparently does, and he has been there for years.

Then what, apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement.
35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf 

10 hours ago, Faz said:

Then what, apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement.
35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf 

I sounds like the initial 3 months and then the 12 month extension are two separate applications, so the visa agent will probably charge separately for those two things.  I may be able to do the initial 3 month application myself. 

I will definitely need to use an agent to get around the 800k thing.  I am not sure if I need to show that for the initial 3 month application or just for the 12 month extension.

I don't think the visa agent actually deposits 800k in my bank account.  I think they just get someone at the bank to print off a statement making it look like there is 800k in there.  TIT 😀

Edited by samiam123

8 hours ago, samiam123 said:

I sounds like the initial 3 months and then the 12 month extension are two separate applications, so the visa agent will probably charge separately for those two things.  I may be able to do the initial 3 month application myself. 

They are two separate applications.
If they stated 12,500 BHT for the Non O, then at a guess 25-30,000 BHT for the 1 year extension.

I will definitely need to use an agent to get around the 800k thing.  I am not sure if I need to show that for the initial 3 month application or just for the 12 month extension.

Both.
It 800K must be in a Thai bank account in your sole name on the day of the Non O application.

The 800K must be in a Thai bank account in your sole name for 2 months prior to the 1 year extension application and for 3 months following the granted extension. You can then withdraw funds but must leave 400K THB in the account, before topping up to 800K again 2 months prior to your next extension application.
35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf  Clause 4).

I don't think the visa agent actually deposits 800k in my bank account.  I think they just get someone at the bank to print off a statement making it look like there is 800k in there.  TIT 😀

Whatever they or the Immigration officer does it's immoral, possibly fraud and corrupt.

15 hours ago, Faz said:

They are two separate applications.
If they stated 12,500 BHT for the Non O, then at a guess 25-30,000 BHT for the 1 year extension.

Both.
It 800K must be in a Thai bank account in your sole name on the day of the Non O application.

The 800K must be in a Thai bank account in your sole name for 2 months prior to the 1 year extension application and for 3 months following the granted extension. You can then withdraw funds but must leave 400K THB in the account, before topping up to 800K again 2 months prior to your next extension application.
35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf  Clause 4).

Whatever they or the Immigration officer does it's immoral, possibly fraud and corrupt.

No 800k in a bank account required at any time before, during, or after. You need to apply for the Non-O in country (presumably through an agent) and you only need to show a printed statement from the bank on the same day you apply.  You can't do any of this through a consulate abroad, it has to be in country.  So you would first come in on a tourist visa.   If you try do it abroad then you will need to actually have 800k 2 months before or whatever.  So the bottom line is don't do that.

I don't know how the visa agent gets the bank to print out a statement showing money in an account that is not actually there but that's what they are apparently doing.  The visa agent charges around 12,500b for the 12 month renewal.  I don't know what they charge for the initial 3 month application.

I am telling you exactly what is happening in reality by people who are actually doing it.  I doesn't matter what the rules say or how they are interpreted, TIT. 

Edited by samiam123

On 2/10/2022 at 12:06 AM, samiam123 said:

I don't think the visa agent actually deposits 800k in my bank account

Nope, thats exactely, what they do: transfer 800k into it, usually over night it stays, then you get the statement and the money gets transfered to another account.

But 800k in  Bank for the year extenson is, depending on  the province, where it is done, between 12-15k (Bangkok andfurther north areas) up to 25 and 30k (30 is Phuket ;-). Depending on the agent, of course. I know a lot of people, doing it that way.

Just one thing: Dont get a tourist visa, get a single entry non O, for 90 days.

This way there is no need for getting you the visa transfered to a non im (not sure , something got lost, from your friend to you, cause he's probably extending extensions, for years) and after charge you again for extending that to one year.

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Nope, thats exactely, what they do: transfer 800k into it, usually over night it stays, then you get the statement and the money gets transfered to another account.

But 800k in  Bank for the year extenson is, depending on  the province, where it is done, between 12-15k (Bangkok andfurther north areas) up to 25 and 30k (30 is Phuket ;-). Depending on the agent, of course. I know a lot of people, doing it that way.

Just one thing: Dont get a tourist visa, get a single entry non O, for 90 days.

This way there is no need for getting you the visa transfered to a non im (not sure , something got lost, from your friend to you, cause he's probably extending extensions, for years) and after charge you again for extending that to one year.

Whatever happens with the 800k showing up on the bank statement, whether it ever exists or not, all I know is that it's not my 800k.  The visa agent apparently takes care of all that.

I was specifically told NOT to get a Non-O before entering.  You cannot convert it after entering and then you are stuck.  I can't remember the exact problem that creates but I was specifically told NOT to do that.  There are numerous threads saying that and I was also told that first hand from someone doing this.  Getting that initial 90 day non-o needs to be done in country not out of country.

I believe the actual visa I am talking about here is the Non-O A.  That is the one with the 800k requirement and that is the one most retired expats get, not the Non-O, which is a little different.

Edited by samiam123

2 hours ago, samiam123 said:

I was specifically told NOT to get a Non-O before entering.  You cannot convert it after entering and then you are stuck

Fun part, for an extension of stay, you dont need to convert a Non Imm O. The single entry non imm (O or B) is usually the initial visa to get a granted stay of 90 days, which you can "convert" to a extension of stay for 365 days. In case you have the 800k or income or ..... Thats where the agent comes in, for you with his 800k.

The OA however needs you to show the money in your embassy. Plus a health status. And is for certain NOT the most used visa , in case people want an extension of stay. Because it needs all the proof (money, health certificate, ....) in the embassy and is a multiple entry visa, with every entry gets you a one year stay granted. Thats why it is called 2 year visa, come in on the last day again, get another year and use re-entry permits to keep it alive. Usually people getting that visa do have the 800k, to put in a bank. If they wanted to extend that visa to a "permanent stay" on extensions of stays.

The tourist visa is assumingly in these days the easiest to get. But it needs transfer in to Non O, and again, transfer into an extension of stay. Two times service (fees) of a visa agent

Just wondering , why are you asking questions in a forum, if you already have all the answers?

2 hours ago, samiam123 said:

There are numerous threads saying that and I was also told that first hand from someone

Perhaps you can point us into the right direction of this threads? And check again with the one who told you?  Is this one perhaps pointing to a specific visa agent?