Confused about Non-Immigrant O visa

In a recent post:

Non Imm O visa from the Thai Embassy, grants a stay of 90 days on entry, then extend the permission of stay for a further 12 months, subject to Immigrations financial requirements.

But then….

Non Immigrant Non O Visa (Single entry).

Can be issued on the basis of retirement (+50) or Thai family/wife.

Valid to enter Thailand for 3 months from the date of issue.

Permits a stay of 90 days on entry, which can be extended once for a further 60 days for visiting Thai family/wife.

And then….

Non Immigrant Non O multiple entry Visa.

Can be issued on the basis of retirement (+50) or Thai family/wife.

Valid to enter Thailand for 12 months from the date of issue.

Allows multiple entries of 90 days during the validity of the visa.

The permit of stay can be extended one time on each entry for a further 60 days, for visiting Thai family/wife during the validity of the visa.

You can stay for almost 15 months from a Non Imm O ME visa based on retirement, or 17 months with an additional 60 day extension based on Thai family/wife.

I am confused & need help. I am 52 & want to come to Thailand for 9 months.

Is the Non-Imm O visa the best way to go?

Can I enter on a Non-Imm O visa for 90 days and then extend/change it so that I can stay the additional 6 months?

Clearly border runs are not part of any strategy in the current climate…

All help very much appreciated in these confusing times 

• Like 1

The 9-month thing is the catch. Thailand does not really have anything for an intermediate length stay (the Thai Embassy describes the 60-day single entry TV as a medium stay.) Since you qualify, you could look at an O-A issued in your home country. It has a financial requirement but for its initial issue the funds can be in your home country account. Its big pain is the health insurance requirement which has to be an approved plan that covers your intended stay, i.e. 1 year.

• Like 2

When only wanting to spend 9 months in Thailand, there is the option to apply for a 6-month MultipleEntry Tourist Visa.  That Visa will provide you with a 60-days permission to stay, and can be extended in-country at an Imm Office for 30 days.  At the end of those 60 (or 90 days if you extended the Visa), you can then do a border-run (just hopping over the border and then coming back) which will provide you with a new 60-days permission to stay.  When timed right (i.e. re-entering just before the 6-month validity of that METV expires) you can get 9 months of stay out of that.  And when married to a Thai national or with Thai dependant children you can on top of that also apply for an additional 60-days extension for Family reasons, which brings the max time you can stay on that Visa to 11 months.

Unfortunately, during these covid-times that METV is not being provided anymore by your home-country's Thai Embassy/Consulate.  And quite logically because it was mainly meant for those wishing to explore South-East Asia with Thailand as their home-base.  But with current border-restrictions that METV is not attractive as it requires at least 2 border-runs to get the full 9 (or 11) months out of it. 

But there are several other alternatives for staying longer term in Thailand. 

Attached the link to a post in another thread that deals with these options > https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1247-us-to-thailand-coe-vs-visa-rules/?do=findComment&comment=7440

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need additional information.  Cheers and welcome to Thailand!

Hi Spengler,

You don't state your nationality or which Thai Embassy you'd apply at.
The choice of Visa types available varies from Country to Country.

Currently forget any multi entry type Visa as they are unworkable due to border closures and quarantine on entry. Normally I would advise the METV (multi entry Tourist Visa) fits your criteria to stay 9 months, but it has been suspended due to the reasons already stated.

For a stay of 9 months, only two workable options currently available.
The single entry Non O Visa, available from a Thai Embassy, or from an internal Immigration office if you chose to enter Visa exempt, or a Tourist Visa, followed by an application to extend your stay for a further 12 months. Financial requirements apply and funds must be in a Thai bank account.

The Non O-A Visa, permits a stay of 12 months on entry. 
More requirements than the Non O to obtain from your Thai Embassy, but no requirement to open and deposit funds in a Thai bank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spengler said:

I am confused & need help. I am 52 & want to come to Thailand for 9 months.

Are you retired or still working?

2 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

At the end of those 60 (or 90 days if you extended the Visa), you can then do a border-run (just hopping over the border and then coming back) which will provide you with a new 60-days permission to stay. 

Except, right now there's no such thing as a border run.

7 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Except, right now there's no such thing as a border run.

That's correct, and currently you cannot even apply for an METV.  But once it becomes available again that METV would probably be Spengler's best option. 

And I provided a link outlining other options currently available for him, re-posted here  > https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1247-us-to-thailand-coe-vs-visa-rules/?do=findComment&comment=7440

5 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

That's correct, and currently you cannot even apply for an METV.  But once it becomes available again that METV would probably be Spengler's best option.

Hmmmm..... The Thai Embassy in the US says they are issuing METVs. https://thaiembdc.org/2021/05/13/metv/ (Although the hassle of flying to Singapore and then having to go through ASQ/Sandbox again makes their use less than ideal at the moment.)

10 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Hmmmm..... The Thai Embassy in the US says they are issuing METVs. https://thaiembdc.org/2021/05/13/metv/ (Although the hassle of flying to Singapore and then having to go through ASQ/Sandbox again makes their use less than ideal at the moment.)

HI @JamesE, you are correct.  It seems you can currently once again apply for an METV at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country.  But as you rightly state, the fact that such METV requires you to leave the country after 60 (or 90 days when you extended its permission to stay you received on entry) and the current border-restrictions / quarantaine rules, almost rules it out as a viable option.

16 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Correct, but irresponsible in my opinion. The Thai Embassy US leaves the applicant to use their common sense and judgement and makes the assumption it's their responsibility to make themselves aware of the current entry requirements and where/how to obtain a further 60 day entry.

Other Thai Embassies have taken that responsibility on themselves and suspended the METV due to the almost impossible viable options.

I actually read elsewhere of a US citizen who actually applied for and was issued the METV to enter Thailand and at the time gloated that others were giving misleading information. He now realises the difficulties involved in a further 60 day entry and has formally complained to the Thai Embassy in the USA for issuing the Visa he applied for, without warnings of the current entry conditions in Thailand.
He is currently on or applying for on a 30 day extension and thereafter his only viable option is to use the Covid extensions, for as long as they are available.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the advice.

To those that asked…..I am UK passport holder applying to the Thai embassy in London….I am 52 & retired 

11 hours ago, Faz said:

The Thai Embassy US leaves the applicant to use their common sense and judgement and makes the assumption it's their responsibility to make themselves aware of the current entry requirements and where/how to obtain a further 60 day entry.

...thereafter his only viable option is to use the Covid extensions, for as long as they are available.

"common sense and judgement" Two things we Americans are noted for...

(Although I can picture the conversation in the RT Embassy:

"You know they pay us five times as much for an METV?"

"Yeah, but it's worthless right now."

"Do they know that?"

"Nope."

"Okay, let's do it.")

I was under the impression that the COVID extensions were available only if you were unable to return home, not that you just didn't want to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JamesE said:

I was under the impression that the COVID extensions were available only if you were unable to return home, not that you just didn't want to.

That may have been the original intention, until they realised as tourists were no longer arriving, why force the one's that were already here out. Then you have a lot of married men staying permanently on the Non Imm O ME Visas that couldn't do border runs for new entries.

It appears now no questions asked, complete a TM7 and an 'affidavit' and you can stay a further 60 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Spengler said:

So am I better off applying for an OA visa rather than an O ?

Yes, if you only intend to stay 9 months, applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country is most probably your best option. 

All other options when wanting to stay 9 months, will require that you apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa once you are in country (from a VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry), or having to apply for its extension when you entered on such a Non Imm O Visa.  And that means you would need to meet the financial requirements, i.e. having 800.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account with foreign origins proven.

The Non Imm O-A Visa on the other hand will provide you with almost 2 years of Immigration hassle-free stay in Thailand, with NO need to visit an Immigration Office for extensions and with NO need to park 800K on a Thai personal bank-account.

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country you would need to meet the mandatory 400K/40K health-insurance requirement.  However, meeting that insurance requirement is neither difficult nor costly (if you know how).  I have PM-ed you a Guideline document, explaining in full depth how to go about in meeting that requirement.

If you need additional info or have questions, feel free to contact me.  Success!

Hi I’m married to Thai lady.  The last couple of times I applied for Non immigrant O visa. Single entry I never had to show 400,000 baht in Thai bank  is this a new rule???  

1 minute ago, Billiy said:

Hi I’m married to Thai lady.  The last couple of times I applied for Non immigrant O visa. Single entry I never had to show 400,000 baht in Thai bank  is this a new rule???  

Hi Billy, if you mean applying for a new Non Imm O single entry Visa from a Thai Embassy, then any financial requirements are different to that of applying for a Non O at a Thai Immigration office within Thailand, which does require proof of overseas funds deposited in a Thai bank.

You can apply for a Non O in two different ways, one being from a Thai Embassy to travel to Thailand.

The other being if you entered Thailand Visa exempt or on a Tourist Visa, then apply for a Non O at a Thai Immigration office as a prelude to applying for an annual extension based on retirement or Thai family/spouse.

You cannot apply for a 1 year extension directly from a Visa exempt or Tourist Visa entry, so Immigration offer a service to change your Visa entry type to that of a Non Immigrant status.

I forgot to say I’m from Ireland I do have a Thai bank account so I’m not to worried about the 400,000 baht  does it have to be in Thai account or foreign?? I can deposit in Thai or foreign.   Also I understand metv   Are not being given out at the moment 90 day + 60 day extension will do me   Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks for the prompt reply  it doesn’t quite answer my question I understand the second part ie based in Thailand applying for extensions.   I have to apply for o non immigrant visa in the London embassy as the Irish counsulate is closed in Dublin.  Do you know if I have to deposit 400,000 baht in my thai account or not??? As I’m not sure myself thanks    I’m not going back till Xmas I hope  I appreciate your reply

Hi Danny, the Royal Thai consulate in Dublin is currently closed.

You need to apply online using the E-Visa application website for a Non Imm O single entry Visa from the Thai Embassy in London. Information starts on this page: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072de

For a Non Imm O Visa based on Thai spouse, the requirements for the Visa application are:

Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

• Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption
  • Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand
  • Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

Although they don't state a particular financial requirement, 400K THB would be more than sufficient.
Proof of financial evidence can be from any source in any Country.

• Like 1

Hi Danny,

You replied as I was typing, but hope my last post answered your questions.
It used to be that when applying for a Non Imm O Visa based on marriage quite often the Embassy would issue the Visa without any financial evidence, which is probably your previous experience.

The fact they don't state any financial requirement suggest that just a bank statement or any proof of earnings/income, regardless of the amount would be acceptable.

The Non Imm O Visa based on retirement needs no more than a state pension summary or bank statement showing evidence of receipt of the state pension, which will probably be no more than approx £175 a week. 
So based on marriage it will certainly be no more than that based on retirement.
Financial requirements based on marriage are always less than those based on retirement.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information you are right as I said they never asked for that before. I’m still wondering if I should leave my money in Irish bank prior to applying for non immigrant o visa  or  send to my Thai bank account???   I also I think I’m right single entry visa 90 days + 60 days at local immigration am I right??    I don’t know why they don’t just give you two entry’s 90+ 90 easier for most people especially as you are only visiting Thai wife and family.  It’s probably easier to get a bank statement from your own bank as you are in your country of origin that’s the way I’ll think of doing it then once you get visa I can transfer to Thai bank