New terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport to be field hospital

Thaiger

A new plan will have Bangkok residents heading to the airport, but not in a good way, as authorities have decided to convert Suvarnabhumi Airport’s new terminal into a field hospital. The recently built Satellite 1 facilities are large enough to house a minimum of 5,000 beds for Covid-19 infected patients as outbreaks surge in the capital city. With 216,000 square metres of available space spread over 4 stories, the terminal will get far more mileage as a healthcare facility than it will as an airport with Thailand’s vastly reduced flights schedules due to closed borders. Thailand’s Transport Minister has […]

The post New terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport to be field hospital appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So the new plan is to put anyone sick into the one building (bubble) all fed with the same air, only segregated by floor levels ?

Please tell me I am missing something here !

45 minutes ago, Graham said:

So the new plan is to put anyone sick into the one building (bubble) all fed with the same air, only segregated by floor levels ?

No you are not missing anything. It’s totally nuts, but self isolation at home I think won’t work for many Thais. The government is unlikely to run an effective furlough system for your average noodle seller and they won’t pay people to self isolate, so I guess enforced isolation is the only answer

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

No you are not missing anything. It’s totally nuts, but self isolation at home I think won’t work for many Thais. The government is unlikely to run an effective furlough system for your average noodle seller and they won’t pay people to self isolate, so I guess enforced isolation is the only answer

You're right, the government is fast running out of options. 

Even using such a large building is only adding 5,000 beds. That's less than a day's worth of infections. 

It's becoming a very dangerous health situation for Thailand now, i hope somehow things can turn for the better quickly but it's hard to see how.

Using part of the country's main international travel hub as a covid hospital looks desperate. The airport is still being used daily for air travel and cargo, it's going to make incoming passengers very nervous. 

And it'll need one heck of a deep clean once it's stood down as a field hospital. 

self isolation at home may work after a while,

neighbours will check if isolated neighbours stays at home
and follow the rules because they do not want to get infected too

there will be not enough beds or rooms for enforced isolation,
no government in the world will do this with success besides China

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, satpete said:

self isolation at home may work after a while,

neighbours will check if isolated neighbours stays at home
and follow the rules because they do not want to get infected too

there will be not enough beds or rooms for enforced isolation,
no government in the world will do this with success besides China

You could well be right. It’s certainly getting out of hand. I fear the only thing they can do is impose further lockdowns to stop the rate of infections and then try all they can to accelerate vaccinations. 

Im not across what is happening with the vaccinations right now. Is the AZ vaccine production not underway in Thailand? Have they ordered other vaccines but there’s a lead time on them arriving? Have they ordered enough? All very strange given the scale of this crisis. Do the government fully grasp what is happening or are the medical experts afraid to tell the leaders what is really going on? 

• Like 1

they should get J&J vaccine to speed up vaccination by only one jab,

booster shots will help later, take care of olders than 60,
youngers will have less danger

in Germany and many European countries people get help / money from the government at lockdown, no one was starving,

but in Thailand any lockdown will hurt many people much more,
loosing jobs, loosing homes, nothing to eat,

without vaccine many people will die at lockdown,
by virus or by starving

Edited by satpete
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Martin said:

And it'll need one heck of a deep clean once it's stood down as a field hospital. 

Why? How tough do you think this virus is?

You could simply shut the doors for 3 days and all trace of it on surfaces would be gone, no cleaning even necessary.

The amount necessary to infect someone, even if they licked a surface, simply does not persist for more than an hour or two. Even on plastic, glass, or steel.

Our ideas about how is spreads changed way back in the first few months of the pandemic. We realized it was mainly spread by droplets in the air. By the time they settle on surfaces they have become far too dispersed. It requires a certain volume of the virus to become infected.

So, don't worry about packages and surfaces, but avoid choirs, protesters, football fans, and people having energetic sex in poorly ventilated rooms.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Do the government fully grasp what is happening

The leaders of this government are extremely good at getting men to march around a barracks square, but not too hot on economics, education, and epidemiology.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham said:

If their infection has been confirmed by a double PCR test, what is the problem with having them mix with other infected folks?

At least they will have plenty of company while they get past their infection and people will notice quickly if their condition deteriorates.

Edited by SickBuffalo

infections are about the air mostly,
so do not have a party inside a room,
go outside for meetings and in crowded places wear a mask,

I beleive you are 90% safe about the virus,

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

New terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport to be field hospital

Has anyone else noticed the irony of having 'terminal' and 'hospital' in the same sentence?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

Has anyone else noticed the irony of having 'terminal' and 'hospital' in the same sentence?

And if you had read or seen on the news the other day about the Don Muang facilities being turned into a hospital camp you may have noticed the picture of a fork tuck in the foreground.  Was that for shifting the bodies perhaps ?

33 minutes ago, gummy said:
40 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

And if you had read or seen on the news the other day about the Don Muang facilities being turned into a hospital camp you may have noticed the picture of a fork tuck in the foreground.  Was that for shifting the bodies perhaps ?

Where do the keep the bodies, in the multi-storey-carcadaver-park?

This would be conviently located. When a passenger arrives and is tested, depending on the result. they would be instructed turn right to immigration, or turn left to quarantine.