Whispered but not proposed – could a lockdown be coming?

Thaiger

In any relationship, there comes a point where you have to discuss the nerve-wracking “L-word”. And this week Thailand’s complicated relationship with Covid-19 is discussing it now – the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration is open to considering a Lockdown. The CCSA indicated they would consider possible proposals from the Ministry of Public Health to stop the spread of Covid-19, up to and including a lockdown. National Security Council Secretary-General Natthapon Nakpanich clarified today that there are no official proposals currently, but if one was made, the CCSA is prepared to consider the possibility. He has heard talks and discussions […]

The post Whispered but not proposed – could a lockdown be coming? appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Hi ho silver... Where is the great white knight when you need him the saviour to the Covid problem.. oh that's right he's in quarantine at home because he wanted to be in a selfie.. get your heads out of the sand you dimwits.  Look around to see what's happening in Indonesia.

Soon it will be in our backyard as well and your delay will cost lives

• Like 1

I don't really see any possibility here other than a pretty savage lockdown. The current rate of growth doubling every two weeks? That's a big risk, and it won't take long to get out of control, if it's not already too late. Wait and see for another 15 days results in crossing that 10,000 a day mark. With Delta being more casually contagious than the alpha strain it might be that the only options now are an economy-crushing lockdown or an India-style disaster.

I can't say that's an easy choice to make.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bobfran said:

Hi ho silver... Where is the great white knight when you need him the saviour to the Covid problem.. oh that's right he's in quarantine at home because he wanted to be in a selfie.. get your heads out of the sand you dimwits.  Look around to see what's happening in Indonesia.

Soon it will be in our backyard as well and your delay will cost lives

Unfortunately it is already in our backyard and given the incompetence of the administration and their proclivity to lining their own pockets at the expense of others, then apart from the fortunate few foreigners amongst us,  plus of course the PM's own government  with all of their own cronies, the connected HISO's , the Elite that keeps this moron in office, then the general population are unvaccinated and hence ill prepared for what appears to be a rapidly spreading new strain.

17 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

If Thailand starts locking down, Bangkok would likely be first to fall, with the capital and its surrounding provinces at the highest risk. 

My heart bleeds, after Bangkok's dumped on the rest of  the country for decades, bleeding it dry.

Up country they're used to it, and it's about surviving not profiting.

Where, locally, the fields are usually 80:20, sugar cane for commercial sale to rice for personal consumption and local sale, this year it's 70:30 as  there's around 50% more rice being grown so that at least they can eat.

Meanwhile they see the vaccines going to Bangkok and Phuket.

The country hasn't been more divided for years, even in the days of reds and yellows.

• Like 3

So there might be a lockdown and they may discuss this on 12th and if there is a proposed lockdown it will be 15 days after that to implement... plenty of time in there to spread a few more thousand cases of Covid 19 Delta variant super spreader virus through many families . Talk about urgency ... 

COE's for Phuket only available 3 days before the opening ... people missing flights because of non delivery of COE?... urgency is a keyword in Thailand ...obviously. 

Just give me time like several days to secure my goodies of different alcohol and such, and then whatever so be it if it is a couple of weeks. CM is doing ok so no ins and outs and minor restrictions would be best for here. One problem is my arsehool neighbors love to hide in their open back of the house space with friend making more noise than in normal times. Curfew? No police around my area enforces curfew at houses and inter vicinity travel. 

So, will the sandbox close too? Or is Covid afraid of money? It seems as if you have enough money, you are free to go where you want to go. 

Hey, let's inject ourselves with money, because that seems to be the cure! 

• Like 1

We already know that lockdowns are pointless unless strictly enforced. All a half-hearted lockdown can do is slow down the inevitable.

To actually stop the virus you would need a REAL lockdown, where everyone apart from soldiers and police stays in their house for one month. Instead, in the West, half the population were declared essential workers, most people still went out to the shops, and the only people to take it seriously were the small minority who were in actual danger.

Honestly, you could achieve the same thing by simply shielding the vulnerable and letting the rest of the country get on with their careers, education, relationships, concerts, clubs, events, travel etc.

Edited by SickBuffalo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

So, will the sandbox close too? Or is Covid afraid of money? It seems as if you have enough money, you are free to go where you want to go. 

Tourists fully vaccinated with effective Western vaccines (as opposed to Chinese tap water) are probably the safest people to be around right now.

The danger NEVER came from Western tourists and expats. Every outbreak stemmed from people crossing over illegally from neighboring countries. 

Encourage cheap vit D supplements and authorities should consider starting a mass distribution campaign of ivermectin beginning with those provinces most affected. The drug is well tolerated and is effective in reducing hospitalizations. It's particularly effective if taken soon after infection and is also useful as a prophylaxis. I find it shocking that this drug is being ignored by the powers that be despite study after study showing its effectiveness. It seems profits for big pharma are more important than lives. Truly sad that global health care is run by a mafia. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Locked in Phuket not down.  They would never want to lose that face having the Sandbox fold and turn into a litter box. 

How about the news we got a few days ago. They tried to let us wear masks in our own homes, because they finally came to the conclusion that home is the place where most spreading of Covid happened (which with a little common sense, you could've known it a year ago). 

Why put people back in their homes if it's the worst place to be as admitted a few days ago? 

And still, I see nothing. You can say: tHaTs bECauSe tHe rEsTriCtIonS WorKeD. But apparently with news like this, that reason has now been debunked. They want a new lockdown because the cases are rising? But why? In 2 years, I haven't noticed anything about covid, apart from the restrictions, and still today, nothing. So does anyone I know. Neither in Thailand nor back where my family lives. 

If I watch the news, any random person says lockdown. If I personally ask anyone outside, I only hear that it's enough and they'd rather just learn to live with it, just like a normal flu or cold. 

• Like 2

hey, mr. dick tater & co.,  in charge of the covid containment. you need to order several million more doses of chinese vaccines asap. It's working fine, you a holes

• Like 1

Honestly if I were a migrant worker, I'd already be headed back home. It's not a question of "if" anymore, just a question of "when". Heaven help the countryside. 

• Like 1

Mmm put a lock down in place then when there's a holiday or a Buddha day let everyone shoot off to there home provinces as seen up to Songkran. lock down Construction workers but allow them to jump homeback to there home provinces taking the virus with them. Do i need to go on how this Government is fighting the Pandemic. Time the Thai people Ousted this Government and the hangers on and put someone in charge like Taksin.  As the west says there not fit for purpose. Id like to say they couldn't Run a Tap. 

Edited by vlad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

My heart bleeds, after Bangkok's dumped on the rest of  the country for decades, bleeding it dry.

Up country they're used to it, and it's about surviving not profiting.

Where, locally, the fields are usually 80:20, sugar cane for commercial sale to rice for personal consumption and local sale, this year it's 70:30 as  there's around 50% more rice being grown so that at least they can eat.

Meanwhile they see the vaccines going to Bangkok and Phuket.

The country hasn't been more divided for years, even in the days of reds and yellows.

What are you writing? Bangkok has not dumped on the rest of the country bleeding it dry.

Where are your sources? Where is your proof? Bangkok has not dumped on the rest of the country bleeding it dry.

You are writing rubbish,

Great news, we have Delta, main symptoms are headache and runny nose. Its what we have been waiting for, the evolution to a more virilant and less problomatic stain. Follow the real world data put out by govenments, not the media spin. If you are to thick to interpret data keep your mouth shut.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, titanyak said:

Great news, we have Delta, main symptoms are headache and runny nose. 

Hey, weren't those the same symptoms as, you know, a cold? ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TobyAndrews said:

What are you writing? Bangkok has not dumped on the rest of the country bleeding it dry.

Where are your sources? Where is your proof? Bangkok has not dumped on the rest of the country bleeding it dry.

You are writing rubbish,

Actually, it is not a bad description of what the Bangkok based elites and middle classes have done to the rest of the country, especially over the past six years since the coup forced out a popular, democratically-elected female prime minister.

Thailand is a large but highly-centralized country, has been ever since the Siam people conquered the peoples in what today constitutes the rest of Thailand. The interests of the minority in charge in the capital are mostly the opposite of the interests of the majority in other regions. That is why democracy cannot be allowed in Thailand.

Edited by SickBuffalo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, titanyak said:

Great news, we have Delta, main symptoms are headache and runny nose. Its what we have been waiting for, the evolution to a more virilant and less problomatic stain. Follow the real world data put out by govenments, not the media spin. If you are to thick to interpret data keep your mouth shut.

Probably better not to denounce other people as thick if you are unable the spell the words virulent, problematic, it's, governments, and too.

I actually agree with your main point but 5 spelling mistakes in just 50 words suggests that a little more humility in your dealings with others might be appropriate.

I have just noticed you joined today, so, welcome to the forum!

Edited by SickBuffalo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

Actually, it is not a bad description of what the Bangkok based elites and middle classes have done to the rest of the country, especially over the past six years since the coup forced out a popular, democratically-elected female prime minister.

Thailand is a large but highly-centralized country, has been ever since the Siam people conquered the peoples in what today constitutes Thailand. The interests of the minority in charge in the capital are mostly the opposite of the interests of the majority in other regions. That is why democracy cannot be allowed in Thailand.

Yes but I want Stonker to explain this. If he can - with a few sources and facts.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

Probably better not to denounce other people as thick if you are unable the spell the words virulent, problematic, it's, governments, and too.

I actually agree with your main point but 5 spelling mistakes in just 50 words suggests that a little more humility in your dealings with others might be appropriate.

Hey, go easy man. It's her first post. Trolls have feelings too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, titanyak said:

Interesting, it has been proposed it would simply settle into a similar illness as its older cousin- the common cold. I hope you're right. (And welcome to the forum..)  

• Like 2

Way to late and they still even have to think about it all that stupid delays cost people their life, lock it down already had to do that before Songkran no vaccines and it is spreading like every rumor people make... ?  Way to late... AGAIN

• Haha 1