Phuket governor orders investigation into complaints of taxi drivers overcharging

Thaiger

Taxi fares charged from the Phuket International Airport are now being investigated by provincial authorities. The Phuket governor ordered the probe after criticism over a Facebook post asking if the 900 baht fare from the airport, quoted by a hotel in Patong, seemed too expensive. Taxi prices in Phuket are notoriously high compared to other provinces. On the social media post, many commented on high taxi fares, sparking criticism just as the island province reopens to vaccinated travellers from overseas under the “Sandbox” model. Following the complaints, Phuket Tourist Police posted the maximum taxi fares from the Phuket International Airport […]

The post Phuket governor orders investigation into complaints of taxi drivers overcharging appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Nothing to see her people, just business as usual. However... perhaps "metered" taxi's like Bangkok would work but this would need the improved meter since Tim already said that on Phuket the meter doesn't last long.

• Like 1

I really don’t know what there is to investigate?  Every town and city virtually across the world operates a taxi system. I thought there were regulated charges for dropping the flag and then per kilometre. A charge for waiting time plus a surcharge for things like airport pick-ups etc. Surely the same rules, published for all to see in each taxi are available. After that, it’s spot checks on metres, heavy fines for violators and job done!  The problem of course, like everything else in a country like Thailand, is corruption. It permeates and destroys every aspect of life. It should be the number one priority of every government to eradicate. The problem Thailand has is there simply are not enough honest and upstanding people to put in positions of authority. It’s like everything else that operates there.

Until the people of Thailand coordinate successfully enough to oust the stream of MP’s, military and police who essentially operate a country wide racket, then there is nothing to be done. Someone famously said - “The people get the government and the police force they deserve”.  Enough said I’m afraid. Only Thais can change Thailand. Not easy I’m afraid and it’s easy for Westerners to complain about it. We had these battles hundreds of years ago. What I would say is their neighbours in Myanmar are trying their best and look how difficult that is proving. 

• Like 1

Wait, weren't we just told yesterday an official looked into the issue and found in fact prices were lower than before? So why is the government looking into lower prices? Oh wait....never mind. 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, James said:

Is it possible to just call GRAB Taxi from the airport?

In most places, the taxi mafia sitting outside the airport will pull anyone suspected of being a Grab driver out of their car and give them a thorough beating.

This has actually happened many time to Thais dropping a farang friend off at the airport, you can find the videos online. In a SickBuffalo dictatorship, any taxi driver involved in any sort of intimidation, vandalism, or violence would immediately lose his taxi license.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SickBuffalo said:

In most places, the taxi mafia sitting outside the airport will pull anyone suspected of being a Grab driver out of their car and give them a thorough beating.

This has actually happened many time to Thais dropping a farang friend off at the airport, you can find the videos online. In a SickBuffalo dictatorship, any taxi driver involved in any sort of intimidation, vandalism, or violence would immediately lose his taxi license.

I take it In a SickBuffalo dictatorship the police would do the job they are paid for?
That way anyone who lost their licence would be in real trouble, instead of like the present, and not giving a sh!t about it.

• Like 1

I have booked "www.airporttransferphuket.com" many times. Never a problem. The driver meets you at the terminal exit with your name on a placard. For 2 people 500-600 baht anywhere on the island. All the prices/destinations listed on their website. Very reliable and good drivers.

4 hours ago, Mike-Hunt said:

I take it In a SickBuffalo dictatorship the police would do the job they are paid for?

In the glorious SickBuffalo reich, all the policemen would be fired and replaced with women who don't need bribe money to fund a mia noi and an oversized ego.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SickBuffalo said:

In the glorious SickBuffalo reich, all the policemen would be fired and replaced with women who don't need bribe money to fund a mia noi and an oversized ego.

Can I vote for you?
Purely self-interest of course: If we're going to have an all-female police force, then I'm looking forward to offering sexual favours to cancel my speeding tickets.
Well I can dream anyway.

• Haha 1

It is a good start and good on the THAIGER to follow this issue as it is important for anyone to come in The sand box not feel been rip-off and will keep a good souvenir 

• Like 1

I wonder if the YouTube and Instagram influencers that will be arriving will be left to fend for themselves with taxi travel to their accommodation? Just imagine this popping up in social media, no it won’t because the taxi mafia will sue them for loss of face.

Thanks for Grab in Bangkok. Phuket? Never again. What for? Simple cost/benefit analysis... Not worth it. I will short this Phuket sandbox stock any day of the week 

6 hours ago, Svcoquette said:

I have booked "www.airporttransferphuket.com" many times. Never a problem. The driver meets you at the terminal exit with your name on a placard. For 2 people 500-600 baht anywhere on the island. All the prices/destinations listed on their website. Very reliable and good drivers.

Sounds a good service. Oddly enough, I just tried that website and it’s not working just now! 

So strict are the mafia operating out of Phuket, that a couple of years ago I booked a transfer to Phang Nga and I had to get a taxi to an area outside of the airport and then meet the other car for onward travel. The Phang-Nga driver gave the official taxi driver a few baht and we were on our way. Land of Smiles!