How's your experience of ASQ?

DPat

5 minutes ago, JamesE said:

😂😂😂 The Thai mobile experience makes even less sense than that. You get a SIM. The SIM has a base rate: ฿X for voice, ฿Y for SMS, ฿Z for MMS, and, oh yeah, ฿D for data. UNLESS you buy a plan which will last anywhere from a day to a month and either be auto-renewing or not. Then the prices are all different than your base plan. Then, you get to figure out the apps, which are structured exactly not the same as the website. Then you get special services (I'm on dtac so they're called JaiDee Service). The data services, as you note, are nutz. I get a 100mbps (4G LTE) plan which costs the same or less as some 10mbps plans. BUT... dtac doesn't call it a 100mbps plan, they call it Internet MaxSpeed and then they bury it way under all the flashy 10GB at 10mbps for 1 day ONLY 8 BAHT!!! promotion.

I've spent hours on their website trying to figure it all out. Then, when I come back, everything's changed.

Wait until you do your first top-up...

I couldn't do the prepaid/top up packages haha, I feel like you need to know Thai, AIS had like 20-30 sims with all these different packages for those. I was wondering why the sim card was talking about bank/health then I noticed AIS also offers things other than mobile/internet services, they have insurance too.

On the bright side, the cost for mobile and internet here is extremely cheap, I'd be paying 3-4x the price I am now in Canada

• Like 1

I was in an ASQ in Bangkok from the end of March through the 2nd week of April. Stay was 15 days 16 nights. Overall, the experience wasn't great. Here are the highlights:

Price Paid: About 45,000 baht at a property on Sukhumvit Soi 11

The Good:

• Fast and generally consistent internet
  • Nice staff
  • Large food menu consisting of Thai, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, and 'Western' foods. You would select several days worth of meals via a Google Form every few days

The Bad:

• Lack of any opening windows or balconies at the property I stayed at (this was particularly bad as you get no fresh air outside of your allotted hour by the pool each day after your first week)
  • Food was largely bad quality and delivered either slightly warm or cold. The better tasting options gave you less food in total so you would be starving by the next meal. I took to ordering chicken fried rice more often than not because it would hold me over between meals, but I came to strongly dislike fried rice and still won't eat it.
  • Food quantity overall was lacking. I lost a very noticeable amount of weight in ASQ
  • The nurses that took the COVID test samples were not gentle. They gagged me both times and jammed swabs up my nose as well.

Other Factors:

• My room had some cockroaches and I had my room changed. The second room had a bunch of things that didn't work properly.

Recommendations:

I highly suggest that your friend get a hotel room with a balcony or windows that open. Do not make the same mistake that I did. I am not a super outgoing person and can generally sit in my house for weeks no problem, but being stuck in quarantine is different and you will have very limited fresh air if you don't do this. Make sure the hotel got good reviews for food or is well-known for allowing you to purchase outside food via others. Have a budget for these additional costs for food and snacks in the range of $100-300 USD.

23 minutes ago, TravelByPoints said:

I was in an ASQ in Bangkok from the end of March through the 2nd week of April. Stay was 15 days 16 nights. Overall, the experience wasn't great. Here are the highlights:

Price Paid: About 45,000 baht at a property on Sukhumvit Soi 11

The Good:

• Fast and generally consistent internet
  • Nice staff
  • Large food menu consisting of Thai, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, and 'Western' foods. You would select several days worth of meals via a Google Form every few days

The Bad:

• Lack of any opening windows or balconies at the property I stayed at (this was particularly bad as you get no fresh air outside of your allotted hour by the pool each day after your first week)
  • Food was largely bad quality and delivered either slightly warm or cold. The better tasting options gave you less food in total so you would be starving by the next meal. I took to ordering chicken fried rice more often than not because it would hold me over between meals, but I came to strongly dislike fried rice and still won't eat it.
  • Food quantity overall was lacking. I lost a very noticeable amount of weight in ASQ
  • The nurses that took the COVID test samples were not gentle. They gagged me both times and jammed swabs up my nose as well.

Other Factors:

• My room had some cockroaches and I had my room changed. The second room had a bunch of things that didn't work properly.

Recommendations:

I highly suggest that your friend get a hotel room with a balcony or windows that open. Do not make the same mistake that I did. I am not a super outgoing person and can generally sit in my house for weeks no problem, but being stuck in quarantine is different and you will have very limited fresh air if you don't do this. Make sure the hotel got good reviews for food or is well-known for allowing you to purchase outside food via others. Have a budget for these additional costs for food and snacks in the range of $100-300 USD.

They had cockroaches? What hotel was this?

56 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I couldn't do the prepaid/top up packages haha, I feel like you need to know Thai, AIS had like 20-30 sims with all these different packages for those. I was wondering why the sim card was talking about bank/health then I noticed AIS also offers things other than mobile/internet services, they have insurance too.

On the bright side, the cost for mobile and internet here is extremely cheap, I'd be paying 3-4x the price I am now in Canada

The best deals are the 1 year sims from Lazada, various operators and speeds, choose from monthly capped at 60gb, 80gb or unlimited . Speeds from 1 Mbps to 4 and 10, the Maxspeed variants will give you differing speeds depending on location ( my Maxspeed True sim gives me 16 Mbps at home but has given me 138 Mbps elsewhere ).

Starting at around 1,300 baht they are roughly half price of buying from the operators for an equivalent but an enormous saving if paying for monthly !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

couldn't do the prepaid/top up packages haha, I feel like you need to know Thai, AIS had like 20-30 sims with all these different packages for those. I was wondering why the sim card was talking about bank/health then I noticed AIS also offers things other than mobile/internet services, they have insurance too.

A Golden TIP when using a mobile phone in Thailand

Until recently I made use of a 4Mbps dTac SIM-kaart which I had to top up for 750 THB a month.  It featured unlimited mobile data (surfing and downloading/uploading on the Net).  As I live in the sticks without WiFi or cable anywhere, I use my mobile phone as Hotspot for my laptop.   And in the evening hours I stream movies and watch them on my wide-screen television, so having unlimited data at a reasonable speed was important for me (thus avoiding buffering of the movies I stream).

On one of the Forum threads I came across this promotion on LAZADA

> https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10mbps-dtac-12-i1929192284-s6099702345.html

So I did order that 10 Mbps dTac SIM-card, which arrived 2-3 days later.

That SIM only costs 1.390 THB and provides unlimited 10 Mbps mobile data for a full year!

Not only that but it also features unlimited free calls on the dTac network, and for 50 THB a month this can be extended to ALL Thai providers.  As I live in South Isaan where dTac is used by almost everybody, the latter is not necessary for me (but good to know that it is available).

I now use that new 10 Mbps SIM and I did a speed-test which indeed shows that I can download as well as upload at 10 Mbps (our house is fairly close to a dTac send-pole which might explain that max speed I get).

Note: 10Mbps means that you can download 1.25 Mb per second, or 75 MB a minute or 4.5 GB per hour.  Whether you get those speeds is of course dependent on the server that provides the downloaded content, but on some servers I easily get 3 GB per hour.

Obviously that SIM-card is really an unbeatable deal, and surely when you need mobile data if you do not have WiFi or cable in your home.

The only thing you need to do once your SIM-card is delivered by Lazada, is to register it on your or your wife/girlfriends name at a dTac shop. The SIM-card features also an instruction on how to do that yourself, but as it was in Thai I simply went to the local dTac shop (in your super-market and they had it fixed for me in 3 minutes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

The best deals are the 1 year sims from Lazada, various operators and speeds, choose from monthly capped at 60gb, 80gb or unlimited . Speeds from 1 Mbps to 4 and 10, the Maxspeed variants will give you differing speeds depending on location ( my Maxspeed True sim gives me 16 Mbps at home but has given me 138 Mbps elsewhere ).

Starting at around 1,300 baht they are roughly half price of buying from the operators for an equivalent but an enormous saving if paying for monthly !!

43 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

A Golden TIP when using a mobile phone in Thailand

Until recently I made use of a 4Mbps dTac SIM-kaart which I had to top up for 750 THB a month.  It featured unlimited mobile data (surfing and downloading/uploading on the Net).  As I live in the sticks without WiFi or cable anywhere, I use my mobile phone as Hotspot for my laptop.   And in the evening hours I stream movies and watch them on my wide-screen television, so having unlimited data at a reasonable speed was important for me (thus avoiding buffering of the movies I stream).

On one of the Forum threads I came across this promotion on LAZADA

> https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10mbps-dtac-12-i1929192284-s6099702345.html

So I did order that 10 Mbps dTac SIM-card, which arrived 2-3 days later.

That SIM only costs 1.390 THB and provides unlimited 10 Mbps mobile data for a full year!

Not only that but it also features unlimited free calls on the dTac network, and for 50 THB a month this can be extended to ALL Thai providers.  As I live in South Isaan where dTac is used by almost everybody, the latter is not necessary for me (but good to know that it is available).

I now use that new 10 Mbps SIM and I did a speed-test which indeed shows that I can download as well as upload at 10 Mbps (our house is fairly close to a dTac send-pole which might explain that max speed I get).

Note: 10Mbps means that you can download 1.25 Mb per second, or 75 MB a minute or 4.5 GB per hour.  Whether you get those speeds is of course dependent on the server that provides the downloaded content, but on some servers I easily get 3 GB per hour.

Obviously that SIM-card is really an unbeatable deal, and surely when you need mobile data if you do not have WiFi or cable in your home.

The only thing you need to do once your SIM-card is delivered by Lazada, is to register it on your or your wife/girlfriends name at a dTac shop. The SIM-card features also an instruction on how to do that yourself, but as it was in Thai I simply went to the local dTac shop (in your super-market and they had it fixed for me in 3 minutes.

Actually 10MBPS is quite slow with modern internet, the average is around 30mbps in Canada with mobile data via simcard

I'm paying 1190 baht a month with AIS for their unlimited 5G maxspeed sim card (speeds up to 1000mbps), I get around 500mbps on my phone (you need a 5G phone/tablet or you'd only get 4G), no contract and can cancel anytime. I hotspot to my laptop via USB connection and get around 250mbps, I'm guessing the USB cable is the bottle neck

Here's the link, but like you mentioned I had to get a friend to use their ID card to register it. They also allow you to register it if you have a passport and drivers license (2 pieces of ID), unfortunately I don't have any Thailand ID's yet.

Here's the link to the package I got, was recommended by a Thai friend

https://www.ais.th/5gmaxspeed/en/?intcid=postpaid-th-mainPackage-fullSpeedInternet-5gmaxPackage

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I'm paying 1190 baht a month with AIS for 5G maxspeed sim card (speeds up to 1000mbps), I get around 500mbps, no contract and can cancel anytime 

Yes, when download/upload-speed is important for you, that's a pretty good deal.  But even with my old 4 Mbps SIM I did not experience any buffering when streaming movies, and my new 10 Mbps SIM with unlimited downloads and free calls within the network, for 1.390 THB for a whole year, is certainly a bargain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I'm paying 1190 baht a month with AIS for 5G maxspeed sim card (speeds up to 1000mbps), I get around 500mbps, no contract and can cancel anytime 

That is some impressive speed there !! but it comes at a price.

Great if you need that much speed , I think most of us would be happy with a lot less but here luckily caters for all .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

That is some impressive speed there !! but it comes at a price.

Great if you need that much speed , I think most of us would be happy with a lot less but here luckily caters for all .

I misread your post, I thought it was a monthly fee, I may have to switch once I get hardwired internet to the apartment I'm moving into. How much is the maxspeed/unlimited package?

7 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Yes, when download/upload-speed is important for you, that's a pretty good deal.  But even with my old 4 Mbps SIM I did not experience any buffering when streaming movies, and my new 10 Mbps SIM with unlimited downloads and free calls within the network, for 1.390 THB for a whole year, is certainly a bargain.

Oh wow I misread that, 1390 baht for the whole year? I thought it was monthly!

Edited by dj230