MG CAR LEMON

LemonMG

10 minutes ago, Transam said:

A friend had the power steering fail on a newish ZS, a trailer recovery job...

I read somewhere that the WOW performance 1500cc ZS is to be "upgraded" with a 1000cc engine with a weeee turbo, well done MG.  555555555.......Mr.Morris would be proud of you..?

There is another Chinese brand called Chery, they make a very similar ride to the ZS, but, it has a 1500cc engine with a turbo which could blow the ZS into the weeds....

Transam you are back and taken the jump over to TT. Welcome.

I was born in Abingdon and I can tell you there was a plague of MGs in that town back in the 1970s.

I remember one was always one parked outside Terry's Hair Affair where I used to go for a 'Ziggy Stardust'.  Probably belonged to the man himself.

Car parts shops in that town must have done a roaring trade in filler and electrical components.

5 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I wouldn't admit to that

Yes, sorry, I must have been having a bit of a hot flush when I made the post.

To recap, I have never owned an MG Metro ?

5 hours ago, LemonMG said:

This is what I worry about, Electric fire, the computers have been broken since day one.

I am telling the truth, Every update changes antoher item. I have warning sounds but No indicator on dash display. 31 times in shop, 8 times in 7 weeks now. They keep talking about updates from China. 

They refuse to buy it back so I can buy amother one.

About to join FB and tell my story in the HS Thailand group as a friend suggested. 

Got to warn anyone thinking about MG to be ware of poor Quality. 

Have you filed a complaint with the OCPB? They’re likely to have more sway than a Facebook group

7 minutes ago, poohy said:

WP_20161009_003.thumb.jpg.35d6b5d6e7a52e70651c77f7a2217dd2.jpg

My 2 MGs from my youth when i had hair an moneyWP_20180606_007.jpg

Oh but that is the rubber bumper model - the car I mean 

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

Oh but that is the rubber bumper model - the car I mean 

It (they) was a sex magnet regardless plus just look at those locks! 

Edited by poohy

Just now, poohy said:

It was a sex magnet regardless plus just look at those locks! 

I had some like that too, the Kevin Keegan look

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

Buying Chinese phones is bad enough, but there is no good excuse for buying their cars as well!

Chinese phones are actually very good now but not so a few years ago.  They are not competing closely with iphones for tech.

5 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

Chinese phones are actually very good now but not so a few years ago.  They are not competing closely with iphones for tech.

But they are CHINESE, i'd buy one from the Republic of China but not from the so called Peoples Republic, why aid the enemy?

26 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

Makes little difference the parts, labor and even assemly are all done primarily in China.  The u.s. politicians sold out long ago.

2 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

Makes little difference the parts, labor and even assemly are all done primarily in China.  The u.s. politicians sold out long ago.

Yes the politicians did not do a good job of protecting the interests of the USA unlike China and  Japan that make imports of competing products difficult.  In many respects you can blame union labor that drove up wage and benefit costs, government for piling on employer mandates like healthcare, unemployment compensation, workers compensation insurance, and paid parental leave.  Those costs ran counter to the demand from the USA consumer for the best products at the lowest cost.  Companies either found ways to manufacturer or assemble overseas to reduce cost or their overseas competitors would and put them out of business.  Amway is based in my home town.  They are the largest manufacturer of cosmetics in the world with their Artistry brand.  Why? Sold in China and China gave them a mandate.  Either make it in China or don't sell in China.  My town is also home to Bissell vacuum.  Walmart gave them a mandate to sell at certain price points and if they didn't Electrolux would.  They moved their manufacturing out of Michigan a high cost state to Mexico.  Even Samsung uses Taiwan for its high end phones the same as Apple.  You either meet your competition or you get run over by them.  The only solution is to adopt the same policies as China and Japan.  You want to sell in the USA.  Then you make your products in the USA.   Product prices would go up.  Choose your poison.  Higher product costs or see the jobs go overseas.  

4 hours ago, Daley said:

Have you filed a complaint with the OCPB? They’re likely to have more sway than a Facebook group

Yes there is a Thai Dept. at city hall and OCPB is in the same office. Letter is being sent out in the next few days. Very good staff helping me. She actually worked in OCPB BKK for a long time before coming to Phuket.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thai3 said:

Buying Chinese phones is bad enough, but there is no good excuse for buying their cars as well!

They sell the Dream But Nightmares are Dreams too.    This is a Nightmare ?

2 minutes ago, Transam said:

The plastic bumper dress up was a mistake, but BMC (Leyland) were good at that sort of stuff. The classic look below, identical to mine except I had black interior.......

1964-mg-mgb.jpg.94163f1f4c28cc6bf3c25c627c18bacc.jpg

Nice car and like the Spitfire the stying and fun factor were great however reliability was the problem.  Then along came the Miata and put the British brands to rest.

1 minute ago, Transam said:

I have had many BMC (Leyland) cars over the years, but to be fair I don't think they had a bad reliability problem, rust yes, but so did the opposition..

BMC's problem, as someone who fiddled around with them, was the continued use of the SU carb, when Ford used a far simpler down draft system. I even stuck down draft Weber on my ol' Mini....Lucas' electrics were questionable, but easily fixed..

True but how many people want these probems and want to break down somewhere a few times and then have them fixed. Reliability was a big problem and this is why they are now extinct.  

It sound like you have the knowledge and patience to fix the vehicles but 99 percent of the buyers do not.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:14 PM, chrisblessing said:

After owning both a 1967 MGB and 1964 Land Rover I swore off ever owning a British vehicle again. Positive earthing was supposed to be a cure for frame corrosion but not only failed at that, made it impossible to add any after-market electronics, radio/tape player (I think I just dated myself), lights, horns, etc. I suspect the current iteration, Chinese origin notwithstanding, is a far superior car.

I think you dated yourself in the first sentance 555

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 11:53 AM, Transam said:

The plastic bumper dress up was a mistake, but BMC (Leyland) were good at that sort of stuff. The classic look below, identical to mine except I had black interior.......

1964-mg-mgb.jpg.94163f1f4c28cc6bf3c25c627c18bacc.jpg

Similar looking to my Spitty.

Same wire wheels, although obviously missing the levers on the side to lift open the bonnet.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, Bluesofa said:

That was obviously the reason they bought they MG name, to lure people into thinking it was a trustworthy product.

Who is fooled into thinking they are buying a real MG ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Henryford said:

They are doing this with many brands.  They are really buying the name and limited technology.  They will either cheapen the products and take the profits or actually try to build a quality product and preserve the name more like what was done with Benelli.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Not everyone might be aware of what has happened with the company name being sold off. Some might be under the impression MG has moved into a different market but not be aware it's Chinese.

Why else would a Chinese company have bought only the name? Plus it sounds better than Flying Pigeon brand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Digressing slightly about MG now being Chinese.

Yesterday my wife asked if I'd ever heard of Haval, as she was looking at an advert for a hybrid.
I hadn't, but after googling I find it's another Chinese brand (from 2013).
That put my wife off, as she too now realises to avoid any Chinese goods.

source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haval_(marque)