MG CAR LEMON

LemonMG

I have owned in MG car for one year now and it has been in the shop for over 20 times now and still needs repair.

I seem to get the run around about having the MG corporation buy back my car.

I can not speak with the Actual MG office. The local dealers refer me to 1267 which is an insurance company called Allianz. The are a buffer to MG and set up repair orders. It is a circle between repair shops dealership and 1267.  No information is provided to the Actual head office of a bad product.

I need help in figuring out how to have MG buy my car back.

• Like 2

So, what MG do you have ?, 3, 5, ZS, GS, HS, EV, Extender ??, and what are the issues you are having ?

Need some more info to determine what action could or needs to be taken.

Dwizzley 

HS, consistent Computer malfunction.  Electronic safety and functionality has been removed. 

Every time they update, they ruin functionality in a different area. Now safety components are off.

Never able to complete the car back to factory specs. Had main computer replaced a long time ago.

It's obvious you're frustrated, shown by the choice of your user name.

It's very sad, as the name MG was synonymous with quality as a British brand started in 1924. It was the initials of Morris Garages Ltd.
In 2006 the name was sold to the Nanjing Automobile Group.
Effectively the Chinese have bought a well-known brand name, in the hope they can sell their product on the back of it.

I know this doesn't help you one iota, but I am wary of anything manufactured in China. It seems to me that 95% of their goods are designed and manufactured down to a price, not by quality.

While I do buy some things from Lazada for example - it nearly all comes from China. However, I buy items I can afford to dump if they are sub-standard. It's rather hit-and-miss, but for the price an acceptable gamble.

My wife likes the MG car and mentioned buying one when she changes her current car. I've told her it will be a waste of money.

I wish you well in your endeavour to resolve the issue.

• Like 4

You obviously never owned a1970's MG midget if you think their name was synonymous with quality !!! You glossed over their history forgetting when they came under Leyland in the 1970's and the cars turned to rust and questionable build quality. Like many companies once they left the safety of the original owner they were built to a price not a quality and sadly China is repeating history. They look nice but are now built to price and the after market problems are swept aside as long as the show rooms have plenty of potential buyers.

LeMonMG can you find details of the parent company in China, if so skip the local dealers and email them directly explaining the cars history and whether they stand by their products and the guarantees' they issue. Worth a try especially if locals are giving you the run around. 

• Like 2

I am glad that you are commenting but your on Topic concentration is off.

The company is Chinese true. CAR IS BUILT HERE IN THAILAND. 

Talk to the Chinese company is a good one. I  needed a laugh.

2 wiseguy replies to contacting China MG.

Pretty sure any big company is tied to the CCP.

China only knows how to manufacture Covid 19 not quality products.

Don't buy an MG.

The complaints are never ending by others as well. The workers will not admit the newly installed programs altered safety programs. 

The 1267 call in number is an insurance company Not MG. They are a buffer for The Chinese corporation. 

1267 only sets up more repair visits. I have been dealing with this a long time.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, LemonMG said:

I am glad that you are commenting but your on Topic concentration is off.

The company is Chinese true. CAR IS BUILT HERE IN THAILAND.

Sorry, I've been here too long. No attention to detail any more.
Is it like maybe like some other 'Thai' car manufacturers - parts imported from abroad but only assembled here to avoid import duty?

On 7/7/2021 at 7:15 PM, Mike-Hunt said:

It's very sad, as the name MG was synonymous with quality as a British brand started in 1924. It was the initials of Morris Garages Ltd.
Effectively the Chinese have bought a well-known brand name, in the hope they can sell their product on the back of it.

I know this doesn't help you one iota, but I am wary of anything manufactured in China. It seems to me that 95% of their goods are designed and manufactured down to a price, not by quality.

While I do buy some things from Lazada for example - it nearly all comes from China. However, I buy items I can afford to dump if they are sub-standard. It's rather hit-and-miss, but for the price an acceptable gamble.

My wife likes the MG car and mentioned buying one when she changes her current car. I've told her it will be a waste of money.

After owning both a 1967 MGB and 1964 Land Rover I swore off ever owning a British vehicle again. Positive earthing was supposed to be a cure for frame corrosion but not only failed at that, made it impossible to add any after-market electronics, radio/tape player (I think I just dated myself), lights, horns, etc. I suspect the current iteration, Chinese origin notwithstanding, is a far superior car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:15 PM, LemonMG said:

Don't buy an MG.

I agree. I bought a black MG Extender. Unfortunately whilst reversing I damaged the rear bumper. Put it in for repair which took bloody weeks before I collected it. Waited for spare parts. Car looked fine when I picked it up. On arriving home I noticed the corner of the bumper had parted. They had siliconed the rear corner and not used the jointing clips that were fitted. 

They gave no excuse as to why they had bodged the job. I had to do another 200km round job and another week off the road before they rectified their rubbish repair.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LemonMG said:

Does anyone KNOW of a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT against MG. I want in

Is there such a thing? The little people just accept being trampled on. 

Have you registered a complaint with the Office of Consumer Protection Board? They walk you through the process 

I’ve just had a satisfactory outcome to defective motorcycle complaint (although admittedly not as problematical as yours)

https://www.ocpb.go.th

Edited by Daley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Objectivance said:

Chinese garbage car is garbage. Who'd have guessed?

That was obviously the reason they bought they MG name, to lure people into thinking it was a trustworthy product.

• Like 4

I have to confess to owning 3 (yes 3 ?) MG Metros back in the day. 
One could say I was a bit slow on the uptake in terms of trustworthiness & reliability 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

The old MG was garbage just like so many other British makes particularly those fitted with the "Lucas" electrical system.  Many said "God invented day and Lucas invented night".  At one time I had a Triumph Spitfire.  Beautifully styled car but terribly unreliable.  I sold the car shortly after the wood dash started on fire during a Sunday drive.  I would say the Chinese are carrying on the MG tradition not deviating from it.

• Like 3

I purchased a used 2019 MG5 last year.  I talked to several MG owners and all have had good experiences. I had only one minor problem with a turn signal which the dealership quickly repaired.  In terms of quality the MG might not be as good as a Toyota, or Honda but they are substantially less money.  Mine has performed very well getting good gas mileage and a nice ride.  I believe they offer good value getting far more car for the money than comparable Japanese models.  I would look to buy another MG if I was in the market to purchase one.  It is unfortunate that the OP had the bad luck to get what appears to be a lemon.  However I have had over the years a Ford that was a disaster, an Audi that was an ongoing service problem, and one Acura ( upscale Honda) that was prone to transmission failures.  The point being that every car company at one point has had models or specific vehicles that are lemons.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

I purchased a used 2019 MG5 last year.  I talked to several MG owners and all have had good experiences. I had only one minor problem with a turn signal which the dealership quickly repaired.  In terms of quality the MG might not be as good as a Toyota, or Honda but they are substantially less money.  Mine has performed very well getting good gas mileage and a nice ride.  I believe they offer good value getting far more car for the money than comparable Japanese models.  I would look to buy another MG if I was in the market to purchase one.  It is unfortunate that the OP had the bad luck to get what appears to be a lemon.  However I have had over the years a Ford that was a disaster, an Audi that was an ongoing service problem, and one Acura ( upscale Honda) that was prone to transmission failures.  The point being that every car company at one point has had models or specific vehicles that are lemons.  

That is good but it is too early to tell how reliable these cars are... let us know when you have over 30k on the car.

1 hour ago, billywillyjones said:

That is good but it is too early to tell how reliable these cars are... let us know when you have over 30k on the car.

Currently have 21K on the car and two more years of the car being under warranty.  I talked to one man who owned a ZS and he drives back and forth to Bangkok for work.  So far, no problems with his car either.  As said, I don't think the have quite the quality of a Toyota or Honda but they do offer a lot of options and a 4 year warranty.  So a good value.  I think they are trying the approach that Kia/Hundai did in the USA.  In the beginning buyers were cautious and Kia/Hundai offered a 10 year warranty.  Over time, the quality of the product improved and now they really are a pretty well built car.  

• Like 2

Bought my MG GS new almost 2 years ago. 

No issues so far and whilst I wasn't overly excited about the brand the sales service was excellent (bringing the GS to village to test drive after I had previously rejected the ZS).

Honda didn't even have a Civic to test drive.

5 hours ago, billywillyjones said:

The old MG was garbage just like so many other British makes particularly those fitted with the "Lucas" electrical system.  Many said "God invented day and Lucas invented night".  At one time I had a Triumph Spitfire.  Beautifully styled car but terribly unreliable.  I sold the car shortly after the wood dash started on fire during a Sunday drive.  I would say the Chinese are carrying on the MG tradition not deviating from it.

I guess the Chinese ability to copy & replicate things isn’t doing them any favours here.

Funnily enough you mention a wooden dashboard fire, I had a brand new Mini ( I know, I know, glutton for punishment) & decided to have a walnut dash fitted & one of those central Peco exhausts. The main dealer did the work & when I’d driven about 5 miles away smoke came billowing out of the vents. I took it straight back & was told not to worry, it happens ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:15 AM, Bluesofa said:

Transam!!
You've joined  (I noticed you 'liked' my much earlier post) someone got a message to you about TT.
I hope you ARE the original and not an MG copy.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, Daley said:

I have to confess to owning 3 (yes 3 ?) MG Metros back in the day. 
One could say I was a bit slow on the uptake in terms of trustworthiness & reliability 

I wouldn't admit to that

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Daley said:

I guess the Chinese ability to copy & replicate things isn’t doing them any favours here.

Funnily enough you mention a wooden dashboard fire, I had a brand new Mini ( I know, I know, glutton for punishment) & decided to have a walnut dash fitted & one of those central Peco exhausts. The main dealer did the work & when I’d driven about 5 miles away smoke came billowing out of the vents. I took it straight back & was told not to worry, it happens ??

This is what I worry about, Electric fire, the computers have been broken since day one.

I am telling the truth, Every update changes antoher item. I have warning sounds but No indicator on dash display. 31 times in shop, 8 times in 7 weeks now. They keep talking about updates from China. 

They refuse to buy it back so I can buy amother one.

About to join FB and tell my story in the HS Thailand group as a friend suggested. 

Got to warn anyone thinking about MG to be ware of poor Quality. 

I thought I was the Dog's Bollicks back in the late 60's with an MGB GT British racing green with chrome wire wheels 

25 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I thought I was the Dog's Bollicks back in the late 60's with an MGB GT British racing green with chrome wire wheels 

Well I had Triumphs. Minis, Rovers in the 60s and 70s and like all British cars of the time they were notoriously unreliable compared to current day standards. At that is just it, compared to todays quality standards. I always needed to carry my toolbox with me in those days. The last straw was a Rover 3500SDI . Very problematic and sold that and moved on to foreign cars. I never bought another British car until I bought a LR Evoque, but of course it was not really British as it was TATA that dragged LR and Jaguar into the 21st century. As for the current MG's 2 friends of mine have  a ZS, one for 3 years and the other for 2 whilst an Ozzie guy near me has had an extender for I guess almost a year. When I chat to them they have nothing but praise for them, never a fault. So as we used to say perhaps the OP had a "Friday" car.