Government shifts focus in vaccine rollout after rise of elderly Covid patient deaths

Thaiger

With the rise of Covid-related deaths involving elderly patients, the Thai government has revised its plan for the next stages of the nationwide Covid-19 vaccination campaign to focus first on those in Bangkok who are at a high risk of severe infection if they contract the coronavirus. Those who are at least 60 years old or who have certain underlying health conditions are given priority in the next phases of the vaccination campaign. The change in priority groups is a “slight refocus” after the rise of deaths, particularly those who are over 60 years old, as well as the rise […]

The post Government shifts focus in vaccine rollout after rise of elderly Covid patient deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I'll believe it when it happens in the provinces, particularly in Isan.

There've been no registrations here for a month, for anyone, as vaccines have run out, and foreigners here have never been able to register.

Probably should've focused on the elderly at the beginning, since they account for 99.9% of viral fatalities in general, the Flu especially. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

There've been no registrations here for a month, for anyone, as vaccines have run out, and foreigners here have never been able to register.

Even the doctors, nurses and ancillary staff at our local community hospital up here have been unable to get vaccinated. Never mind the local elderly, Thai or foreigners.

It’s so strange how they decided to prioritize Phuket of all places. ??

the industrial estate where I work boasts contributing to at least 12% of the nations GDP and a vast majority of workers here are unvaccinated. My own company did a survey of all employees 1200+, 90% say that want to get a vaccine and nearly equal amount who said they will get it are unable to receive it. 

• Angry 1

9 minutes ago, gummy said:

Even the doctors, nurses and ancillary staff at our local community hospital up here have been unable to get vaccinated. Never mind the local elderly, Thai or foreigners.

At some state hospitals too, so when the staff were infected the hospital had to close - as reported here.

Hotel and bar staff and tourists in Phuket were vaccinated instead.

Way beyond absurd.

• Angry 1

It appears PM/General Prayut has alternative priorities to most sensible leaders. Does he really think he can vaccinate 70% of the Kingdom within August? What exactly is he going to vaccinate people with? Has no one told him there is a National shortage?

I shall not be holding my breath on this, but hey ho he might pull it off, after all someone once turned water into wine and walked on water. 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guevara said:

It appears PM/General Prayut has alternative priorities to most sensible leaders. Does he really think he can vaccinate 70% of the Kingdom within August? What exactly is he going to vaccinate people with? Has no one told him there is a National shortage?

I shall not be holding my breath on this, but hey ho he might pull it off, after all someone once turned water into wine and walked on water. 555

Yes, he lives in a world of alternative truth. Anyone who argues against him gets shouted down.
Even when cornered into making a decision, it's always reactive, never proactive (unless it's in his personal interest).

He doesn't think he can vaccinate 70% of the Kingdom by August, as he doesn't think at all.

It was always a "priority" on the paper, instead all vaccines vent, as usual to interest groups and sandboxes, then to those needed to support sandboxes and then it went....

Now we have near a million of fully vaccinated people serving 6000 (potential) visitors to Thailand

Edited by AlexPTY
added "potential"

6 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

It was always a "priority" on the paper, instead all vaccines vent, as usual to interest groups and sandboxes, then to those needed to support sandboxes and then it went....

Now we have near a million of fully vaccinated people serving 6000 (potential) visitors to Thailand

And the non-tourist areas having to use other methods to get vaccines. Maybe Phuket could chip in to the Yala vaccination fund? 

https://thailand.prd.go.th/ewt_news.php?nid=11510&filename=index 

5 hours ago, gummy said:

And your neck of the woods is? There was something awhile ago that came up saying that the areas that did not support and march to the little Junta boys monkey election drum were ignored. Of course this was fully denied as a fabricated lie by I believe Anutin. 
Now what is the real story? I know what I think. 

Edited by HolyCowCm

3 hours ago, Mike-Hunt said:

He doesn't think he can vaccinate 70% of the Kingdom by August, as he doesn't think at all.

Well I think he sincerely means that, but with only one vaccine even if it takes too much time way past August. 

This is so typically Thai. It sometimes seems as if Thailand is an island, and that news from abroad doesn't come through.

They want and have to reinvent everything themselves, instead of looking at how other countries do it. Sometimes it is possible to learn from other people's mistakes. But that seems hard to understand. 

As people have already said, it is odd that the government are going to such lengths to protect an industry which officially provides 10%ish of its GDP (International tourism). Although 10% is a significant hit on GDP, it does seem disproportionate in how they are focusing on it with the vaccine rollout. Could it be that the 10% figure often quoted is inaccurate and that figure is much higher? Possibly as high as 20%? I’m no economist, but I would also think the fact that this is an industry fuelled almost entirely with foreign currency inflows, also plays a role?  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

As people have already said, it is odd that the government are going to such lengths to protect an industry which officially provides 10%ish of its GDP (International tourism). Although 10% is a significant hit on GDP, it does seem disproportionate in how they are focusing on it with the vaccine rollout. Could it be that the 10% figure often quoted is inaccurate and that figure is much higher? Possibly as high as 20%? I’m no economist, but I would also think the fact that this is an industry fuelled almost entirely with foreign currency inflows, also plays a role?  

I think you nail it with the foreign exchange influx. Thailand has a massive foreign reserve, greater than Germany's, which helps to keep the Baht propped up. The other consideration is that while "only" +/-12% work in the tourism industry directly the downstream impact - rents, food, cars, scooters, etc. as well as money sent to the provinces - might account for a substantially higher amount of GDP than the direct spend.

• Like 1

The +/-12% of Thailand's population working in the now non-existent tourism industry represents approximately 8 million people.  That's 8 million people the government has put out of work and then turned its back on, with no viable plan to turn things around.  I'm beginning to think Thailand's Covid response is being directed by Republicans from the US.

1 hour ago, thaicm said:

The +/-12% of Thailand's population working in the now non-existent tourism industry represents approximately 8 million people.

8 million?

With a working population of less than 40 million, that's 1 in 5.  That doesn't seem very likely given the numbers in agriculture, factories, and everything else.

I just noticed the guy getting vaccinated in the picture is wearing a face mask with a valve. Whatever your views on how effective masks are (let’s not have that debate again!), one thing is for sure, masks with valves are virtually no use whatsoever. A number of airlines have refused passengers to board wearing them. Mind you, they are as effective of those who wear them without covering their nose. And a little more effective than those wearing the mask as a neck warmer!! 

I think of all the “scary” aspects of Covid, the one that scares me most is how people wear masks. It’s a virus spread mainly by respiration of the virus. That comes from your mouth and nose. Yet I see many people wearing them exposing their nose. You just have to wonder what goes through some people’s mind. Even if I didn’t think they were of any use, I can’t prove it and it’s the law in certain countries, so wear them damn thing properly. 

Edited by Soidog
Typo

I do think that people at-risk should be prioritized, however what to-do with those whom are currently vaccinated with Sinovac which appears to provide no protection whatsoever or those whom now received their first dose of AZ - With this shift in 'priority' what does this mean for them?

On 7/6/2021 at 3:32 PM, Stonker said:

Absolutely agree and living in Udon Thani I do not single myself out either but this administration in the eyes of my family and friends here will never ever give any consideration to the ordinary people of Issan. To them that is just what they have grown up to accept, quite sad really.