Phuket official says taxi fares have gone down since the pandemic

Thaiger

Following posts shared on social media on the notoriously high taxi fares amidst Phuket’s reopening under the “Sandbox” model, a provincial transport official is apparently saying the posts are old and the prices do not reflect the current rates. A local transport official says the prices have actually gone down. The Facebook post from a tourist planning a trip to Phuket said a hotel in Patong wanted to charge her 900 baht to be picked up from the airport. The post prompted local officials to review taxi rates, which are known to be extremely high on the island. “I know […]

The post Phuket official says taxi fares have gone down since the pandemic appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Quite  possible given that these particular taxis have to comply with SHA+ so they should be entitled to make a surcharge.

11 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Quite  possible given that these particular taxis have to comply with SHA+ so they should be entitled to make a surcharge.

I didn’t spot the surcharge rate being levied due to SHA+ compliance. What is amount and is it officially stated as the 50 baht airport surcharge is?  

I have checked some old fares for Phucket taxis from a few years ago and the fares have not risen much, but I know they recieve commission from hotels and restaurants, so the taxis make plenty.

They charge three times officially what a Bangkok taxi charges and therefore do well anyway. Why should they? Could it be that politicians and officials are paid off to allow this? Hard to tell. This is one of many reasons that I would never go to Phuket.

• Like 1

A taxi ride from the airport to Kathu is 700 baht, that is around £15 for a forty five minute drive, that feels cheap to me when I use the service. 

Stay away from a TukTuk as they charge 100 baht just for a minutes drive, but there are plenty of cars at the side of the road with taxi signs and they are much cheaper. 

I have just prepaid 1000 baht to get picked up by hotel in kata Beach at phuket Airport on july 30th

They said normal price is 1500, I said you obviously don't realise I've lived there for 10 years 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3