1.5 million Pfizer doses donated by US to go to senior citizens, pregnant women

Thaiger

The Thai government plans to administer 1.5 million doses of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine to people over the age of 60 and to pregnant women. Priority will be given to those in areas with high rates of infection. The doses have been donated to Thailand by the US government. According to a Nation Thailand report, a leaked memo shows that the doses are expected to arrive in the Kingdom this month, for distribution in July and August. It’s understood the leaked memo contains the minutes of a meeting held on Sunday, in which a senior official said the Pfizer doses […]

The post 1.5 million Pfizer doses donated by US to go to senior citizens, pregnant women appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Pfizer 1.5 million at the end of this month and it's actually a total out of 20 million. There are a lot of can of cover up deceitful dishonest Junta government cans of worms opening up now. This story has gone international, just look for a story in Reuters. A general who looks like he could be Toad Boys brother stated that of the 1.5 million they are going to slate 20% of them for foreigners. I would hope this goes to Americans and their Thai families first and should exclude the Chinese and French since they have their own campaigns. Actually I would love to see more than 20% allocated to the foreigners as it way too low as a PR bone, but also would wish to see who gets the golden shots. Is it all Thai from all walks of life or is this going to be wealthy and elite and groups who have connections. Good ole USA on this and hope they step up more and the you know who doesn't try to road block it.

• Like 1

Big respect to the USA!

Obviously, 1.5m is a drop in the occasion, Thailand already has ten times more Sinovac but, on the other hand, the Pfizer vaccine actually works.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Pfizer 1.5 million at the end of this month and it's actually a total out of 20 million.

Actually, the 20m coming in the 4th quarter are separate and Thailand is paying for that entire batch.

These 1.5m doses are arriving in the next week or so and are a donation from the US, completely free. Vaccine diplomacy.

Edited by SickBuffalo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

they are going to slate 20% of them for foreigners.

I would guess there is a tacit agreement that Western retirees will not be excluded.

Technically, they are meant to be included in the existing schemes but, sadly, we hear many reports of individual administrators telling farangs that they are not eligible.

Now, at least, those farang retirees can make a solid argument that they should be included.

6 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

Actually, the 20m coming in the 4th quarter are separate and Thailand is paying for that entire batch.

These 1.5m doses are arriving in the next week or so and are a donation from the US, completely free. Vaccine diplomacy.

Ok, you are correct. I just went back and  re-read the paragraph regarding it in Reuters. I would think the USA may step that up as part of a campaign of building better relations against what the red dragon is doing here. Anyway for me and my family, we are waiting for Pfizer. Still would like to see who will be put first in line here when considering the Thai folk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Inlandchris said:

Its a nice jester but why only 20%? Since its free to the Thai Gov’t why not 50% to the expats? Are we inferior?

How many elderly (75+) US retirees do you think there are in Thailand?

20% would fully inoculate 150,000 people. There are only around 75,000 people, of all nationalities, on retirement extensions in Thailand. Most of them are Brits. I would guess that the majority are in their 50s and 60s - sadly, many expats, particularly the drinkers, develop health problems by their 70s that either kill them or require them to return to their home countries for better care (or, at least, cheaper care in the case of the UK).

The main point is that we are all a little bit more protected each time someone gets vaccinated. If the elderly are more likely to get symptomatically sick, it is not only good for them but, also, good for us if they don't. We need Thailand to sort out everyone in the country who is 75 or older, regardless of their nationality.

Edited by SickBuffalo

13 minutes ago, Inlandchris said:

revealed the Thai Gov’t would give 20% of the donated vaccine from the U.S. to go for U.S. citizens living in Thailand, expats. Its a nice jester but why only 20%? Since its free to the Thai Gov’t why not 50% to the expats? Are we inferior?

What article did you read that US expats are first in line? And yes 20% is a laugh, but my thing is who are the Thai who will be first in line for Psfizer? Everyone wants this one. My guess is, and I may be wrong, the big ruling cheeze boys will get a rejab, then the rest of the big head Junta, and the government officials and their family that back them will be first. Probably toss in the medics in that as they don't want anymore bad press being released. 1.5 million doesn't go a long way. And the Chinese and French expat and visa staying here community and their embassy officials should not be able to get these jabs as they have their own official campaigns. Nothing against the good people form these countries, but this is fair. I am American so ofcourse I hope I would be onw of the first allowed in line with my family.

19 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

I would guess there is a tacit agreement that Western retirees will not be excluded.

Technically, they are meant to be included in the existing schemes but, sadly, we hear many reports of individual administrators telling farangs that they are not eligible.

Now, at least, those farang retirees can make a solid argument that they should be included.

No telling what will happen. But your guess is same as mine, something will go south for including the expats. I say expats because I am not on retirement, but am surely old enough as later later part in my 50's.

• Like 1

Pfizer is truly playing a blinder this year.

Biontech, the inventors of this vaccine, chose to partner with Pfizer for their distribution expertise. That turned out to be a great decision.

Pfizer clearly rescued Europe after the monumental cock-up that the EU bureaucracy made of the ordering process. Month after month, they have made massive deliveries and, while their competitors flounder, they keep ramping up their capacity.

Pay very close attention to big news coming out of South Korea over the next few weeks. We might actually see Pfizer end up providing enough doses to finish vaccinating the entire population before the end of the Q1 2022.

This is going to be brutally embarrassing for China, particularly if the Thais do go ahead and give a "booster" shot of Pfizer to anyone unlucky enough to have had already received Sinovac. I am pretty sure that is going to happen, the junta aren't going to be able to dodge the furious public demand.

Edited by SickBuffalo

16 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

And yes 20% is a laugh

Again, that 20% will be 150,000 people fully vaccinated. How many retirees do you think are here?

14 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I say expats because I am not on retirement, but am surely old enough as later later part in my 50's.

Late 50's - unless you are obese, you have nothing to worry about. Just enjoy your summer and you will almost certainly get your jabs in October. It actually makes far more sense, for you personally, that those who are actually vulnerable get vaccinated ahead of you.

I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of Covid-19 if you develop it, but you have to step back from the anecdotal stories of younger folks getting hospitalized that the media so frantically highlight, and look at the actual statistics broken down by age. Late 50s, you have almost no chance of getting that sick. The odds only really start to climb at 70 or so.

Edited by SickBuffalo

45 minutes ago, Inlandchris said:

A previous article about the same subject revealed the Thai Gov’t would give 20% of the donated vaccine from the U.S. to go for U.S. citizens living in Thailand, expats. 

Where did you see that? Not saying it’s not true or false. Just I haven’t seen any restrictions on donated vaccines from any of the countries the US has given to date. 

2 hours ago, SickBuffalo said:

Again, that 20% will be 150,000 people fully vaccinated. How many retirees do you think are here?

Late 50's - unless you are obese, you have nothing to worry about. Just enjoy your summer and you will almost certainly get your jabs in October. It actually makes far more sense, for you personally, that those who are actually vulnerable get vaccinated ahead of you.

I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of Covid-19 if you develop it, but you have to step back from the anecdotal stories of younger folks getting hospitalized that the media so frantically highlight, and look at the actual statistics broken down by age. Late 50s, you have almost no chance of getting that sick. The odds only really start to climb at 70 or so.

I like (and "like") a lot of your comments, @SickBuffalo, but that simply isn't true as it's far from just those who are "obese".  Look at the stats for the Thai population and around a third have diabetes,  hypertension, or other issues that are a very real danger with Covid.

... and October for mass vaccinations to be widely available?  Where?  How?

Edited by Stonker
typo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

We need Thailand to sort out everyone in the country who is 75 or older, regardless of their nationality.

I think everyone with a legitimate vaccine and not just the privileged in this country. 60 and older would be better. Thais life expectancy is less than normal.

But for the expats for this 20% of 1.5 million being 300,000 jabs of Psfizer, that equates to only 150,000 people.  So it should only be based on all USA expats and their immediate family members first ( and the members should not have to have USA passport on marriage or birth cert), then for the rest I would hope the USA steps up the donation so it covers all expats and workers from countries that have bonds and good friendships with the USA. Lots of countries there are and we are all people.

But as Thailand and the USA are far from being perfect worlds, let's see what happens. Looks like we are on the right track though!

• Like 1

The vaccines will go to pre paid arrangements with government chronies, the wealthy, family and friends. Good luck to any farang who get jab.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SickBuffalo said:

Big respect to the USA!

Obviously, 1.5m is a drop in the occasion, Thailand already has ten times more Sinovac but, on the other hand, the Pfizer vaccine actually works.

And the US has hit the vaccine wall. We're awash in the stuff. 30% of the eligible population - like 75M people - are just saying no to the vaccine. Look for more availability, even if it has to be purchased.

• Like 1

I see your point but tend to not fully agree. Nowadays with mutations I think it is becoming a crap shoot at any age depending on one's body. I may look healthy and only a little over weight with belly, but my blood pressure depending on if I exercise or not can get a little high on borderline now in my late 50's. Now just back at regimented running and toned down off the alcohol to one time per week, but again there is a bit to go as now only lost 5kg/11lbs and up to 3-4 miles or 4.8-6.4km, and this needs more on weight and stamina to go. And prior CV-19 was at running half marathons with low blood pressure going to slacking off and a bit out of whack. CV-19 has taken a toll on all ages and their personal in shape health from lack of exercise and stress. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

Pay very close attention to big news coming out of South Korea over the next few weeks. We might actually see Pfizer end up providing enough doses to finish vaccinating the entire population before the end of the Q1 2022.

So they have another 30 million more to go as just looked up.

54 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

This is going to be brutally embarrassing for China, particularly if the Thais do go ahead and give a "booster" shot of Pfizer to anyone unlucky enough to have had already received Sinovac. I am pretty sure that is going to happen, the junta aren't going to be able to dodge the furious public demand.

Well I won't be crying a river for China, the Thai investor, or the powers that be for what they have done. More like will buy a bottle of fine wine and have a big smile and laugh and feel happy for the good Thai folk.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I like (and "like") a lot of your comments, @SickBuffalo, but that simply isn't true as it's far from just those who are "obese".  Look at the stats for the Thai popolation and around a third have diabetes,  hypertension, or other issues that are a very real danger with Covid.

... and October for mass vaccinations to be widely available?  Where?  How?

Yeah diabetes and stress are huge here. Seems the suicide rate is also quite high. My daughter told me yesterday that here in CM a student at a well known school climbed up to a high roof during the morning assembly BS and jumped in front of everyone. Grade 2 (M2) in high school I heard. Stress for sure and who knows for the why. Anyway supposedly did not die and nothing more from it has been sent out, but times are tough with CV-19 and its far reaching hurting people..

As an American, over 60 and high-risk, not being shameful, I think I should be near the front of that line, as should other Yanks like me.

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Pfizer 1.5 million at the end of this month and it's actually a total out of 20 million. There are a lot of can of cover up deceitful dishonest Junta government cans of worms opening up now. This story has gone international, just look for a story in Reuters. A general who looks like he could be Toad Boys brother stated that of the 1.5 million they are going to slate 20% of them for foreigners. I would hope this goes to Americans and their Thai families first and should exclude the Chinese and French since they have their own campaigns. Actually I would love to see more than 20% allocated to the foreigners as it way too low as a PR bone, but also would wish to see who gets the golden shots. Is it all Thai from all walks of life or is this going to be wealthy and elite and groups who have connections. Good ole USA on this and hope they step up more and the you know who doesn't try to road block it.

In 1 HC the Army top brass will get it 1st and then there family's whats left will be sold to Private Hospitals another little Earner.

45 minutes ago, vlad said:

In 1 HC the Army top brass will get it 1st and then there family's whats left will be sold to Private Hospitals another little Earner.

Is that speculation like I posted and thought would happen as another yet corrupt dishonorable action, or is their proof that you have seen? 

50 minutes ago, Inlandchris said:

Who said be “first in line”? Not me! Read! Who cares to be first in line!

Your quote: A previous article about the same subject revealed the Thai Gov’t would give 20% of the donated vaccine from the U.S. to go for U.S. citizens living in Thailand, expats.