Good Morning Thailand | Sandbox Success? Will Aussies return to Thailand?

Thaiger

Today Tim and Bill talk with Tim Shaw from Sydney, a Canberra-based political journalist and board member of the national press club of Australia, the early days of sandbox and the current Covid situation in Thailand. Welcome to Day 3 of our week long LIVE program @ Cafe Waya in Boat Avenue Cherngtalay, Phuket. Drop in and say hello!

The post Good Morning Thailand | Sandbox Success? Will Aussies return to Thailand? appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I'm living in Australia but thankfully can escape on my NZ passport. It's a blessing for the rest of the world that Aussies can't travel atm (says anyone who has witnessed Strayan Bogans abroad).

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Will Aussies return to Thailand?

What an odd question ... obviously "No", for the foreseeable future, if they live in Aus.

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

What an odd question ... obviously "No", for the foreseeable future, if they live in Aus.

If they hold dual citizenship they can depart on the non-Australian passport, like DWiener.  No problem with a NZ passport.  There's a lot of Brit's who still retain their UK passport and they can travel, provided a Resident Return Visa is available to them.

All Aussies may request 'leave' for essential travel or periods of ~4 months away.   Most of those requests are honoured.

For general short term tourism Aussies are confined to domestic travel.

On 7/5/2021 at 3:40 PM, KaptainRob said:

If they hold dual citizenship they can depart on the non-Australian passport, like DWiener.  No problem with a NZ passport.  There's a lot of Brit's who still retain their UK passport and they can travel, provided a Resident Return Visa is available to them.

All Aussies may request 'leave' for essential travel or periods of ~4 months away.   Most of those requests are honoured.

For general short term tourism Aussies are confined to domestic travel.

Agreed, @KaptainRob - a number I know, including Thais naturalised Aus, have done so to visit family here who are ill.

The problem they all have is not only that they have to quarantine here on arrival (free for Thais, but not for much longer) but they also have to quarantine on return to Aus and not only are the number of flights limited but it costs around $3,000 (including for Aus).

I think that pretty much rules out tourism for most Aussies.

19 hours ago, Tjampman said:

Australia have only 3% fully vaccinated?

That's horrible, that's the last time I want to hear aussies complain about the Thai roll out!

It's pretty appaling, but it's actually just over 7%.

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Agreed, @KaptainRob - a number I know, including Thais naturalised Aus, have done so to visit family here who are ill.

The problem they all have is not only that they have to quarantine here on arrival (free for Thais, but not for much longer) but they also have to quarantine on return to Aus and not only are the number of flights limited but it costs around $3,000 (including for Aus).

I think that pretty much rules out tourism for most Aussies.

Correct, and with a halving of return quotas those limited flights may follow suit.  SIA is running A350's in and out of Australia and often carrying less than 50 or 60 pax.  I assume they fill up on freight but it still remains uneconomic.  A continuance of these schedules only serve to maintain sought after landing slots.

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Correct, and with a halving of return quotas those limited flights may follow suit.  SIA is running A350's in and out of Australia and often carrying less than 50 or 60 pax.  I assume they fill up on freight but it still remains uneconomic.  A continuance of these schedules only serve to maintain sought after landing slots.

A cousin of mine ran a very successful (read over-priced) bespoke tour business, in Aus but mainly in SE Asia ($500 per day plus expenses for a guided tour of Sydney, just for the guide), and luckily she sold up two years ago.  Not so lucky for the buyer!