Thai government slammed for delays in vaccine procurement

Thaiger

The Thai government has been blasted for the slow rollout of AstraZeneca vaccines, following the news that the monthly delivery would be cut from 10 million to 5 million. Opposition MP Wiroj Lakkhanaadisorn from the Move Forward Party says Thailand is also obliged to send batches of the AstraZeneca vaccine overseas as other countries have already placed orders for them. The result is that appointments here are being postponed. “There is also a report that from July, AstraZeneca Thailand will export vaccines to other countries, and only one-thirds of the vaccines produced will be reserved for Thailand.” The Bangkok Post […]

The post Thai government slammed for delays in vaccine procurement appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This government is delaying vaccine purchases while insisting on ridiculous quarantines for vaccinated people. Completely incompetent and corrupt, even more than people thought. It is diabolical. 

It's all about corruption and skimming off the pot for the rich 1%. Has been blatantly obvious since this mob took over.

Let's buy a plane for the airforce, Let's continue with the purchase of submarines for the navy but we need to make sure we don't spend money on vaccines for the people = Thai government. 

Am I right or am I wrong ?

• Like 5

QUOTES From Article.

The Bangkok Post reports that Chanin Rungthakiat from the Pheu Thai Party accuses the government of making a mess of the vaccine rollout from day 1. He says opting to make AstraZeneca the primary vaccine means there are insufficient quantities of quality vaccines. Now that supplies of AstraZeneca are running low, the government is supplementing with Sinovac, having committed to purchasing another 28 million doses of the Chinese vaccine.

Point 1 is the supposed saying the government is only focused on making AZ the primary majority vaccine made here. 

Point 2 is Sinovac. Now who does this benefit? 2 parties in big ways.

Meanwhile, vaccines such as Moderna are being categorised as “alternative vaccines”, meaning people need to pay for them. In addition, delays in placing orders for Moderna doses have come to light, with yet more passing the buck and finger pointing.

Smoke and Mirrors and could be construed as an on purpose delay according to plan.

Vitoon Danwiboon from the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation says it’s been working to purchase the vaccines since February. He insists that, despite 2 private hospitals saying they could buy vaccines directly from Moderna, procurement can only be done through the importer Zuellig Pharma.

Zuellig "Big"Pharma? And who else has their hand in that cookie jar?

“The GPO contacted Moderna in the US to buy its vaccines and the company replied that it would deliver the vaccines in the first quarter next year at the earliest.”

Vitoon adds that the GPO is acting on the government’s behalf, but that there has been no budget allocated to the purchase of Moderna vaccines, which has affected delivery. He says the GPO is liaising with over 300 private hospitals to ensure they want the vaccine, but only about 9 million doses have been requested.

Only 9 million? And this is something to be sneezed at and thus delay it being imported? I think they don't really want anything over 1 million imported so delay it until most people are jabbed by their wanted 2.  I am sure you could triple or quadruple that 9 million for the people who did not sign up. We did not sign up, but me and my family over 4 in CM and 5 in BKK would gladly jab it, but our real preference is Psfizer.

• Like 2

100's queued outside Chiang Mai Ram hospital this morning to register for alternative vaccine(s), assume Moderna.  Some travelled a great distance to arrive at 0500 hrs only to be turned away just after 0800 hrs, the vaccine already fully subscribed. ????

I have yet to hear full details although I believe some people may have paid in advance of this supposed opening morning for preferential inclusion on the wait list. 

The point should be noted that Astra Zeneca was only approved for Siam Bioscience production on the basis that SB would provide product to all ASEAN countries without preference.  That doesn't excuse their production delays or inefficiencies but ought to been recognised as insufficient supply for Thailand. 

• Like 4

This government should hold Thier heads in utter shame. They are clueless. The pm and anutin are the total culprits brown envelope brigade. This country cannot be opened up seriously in Oct with no vaccines to vaccinate the people. They state all provinces need to be 70% immunity well sure but without vaccines that a huge no. Wake up 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

100's queued outside Chiang Mai Ram hospital this morning to register for alternative vaccine(s), assume Moderna.  Some travelled a great distance to arrive at 0500 hrs only to be turned away just after 0800 hrs, the vaccine already fully subscribed. ????

Yet another snub. Might be a tactic to keep the folk brain dead enough only firing on a couple cylinders to not complain the farce of a system. I would be ticked if that happened. Reminds me of lining up for CM immigration and if too late then given the heave bye bye ho. That  there got to the point that 12 or 1am was the line up to que time.

43 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yet another snub. Might be a tactic to keep the folk brain dead enough only firing on a couple cylinders to not complain the farce of a system. I would be ticked if that happened. Reminds me of lining up for CM immigration and if too late then given the heave bye bye ho. That  there got to the point that 12 or 1am was the line up to que time.

The old days of zero dark 0030hrs queueing ... I never bothered with that and always went along just after lunch and was always seen that day.  Could never understand the queuing mentality.

9 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

The old days of zero dark 0030hrs queueing ... I never bothered with that and always went along just after lunch and was always seen that day.  Could never understand the queuing mentality.

Could be that my particular time of the year for renewal is unfortunately a congested time of the year. When it really got out of shape and out of whack is when we had the massive influx of the Chinese coming and staying. It got to the point that I had one of my wife's employees sit until the morning, of course paid extra, and then I would show up at 6am. Now it is not bad at all and my last one was so easy. Well except for the interview part and the when they go out of their way to find something perfectly ok and make you jump the hoop that it wasn't ok and needs fixing. Also i do not do retirement and this takes longer as well.

Edited by HolyCowCm

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Could be that my particular time of the year for renewal is unfortunately a congested time of the year. When it really got out of shape and out of whack is when we had the massive influx of the Chinese coming and staying. It got to the point that I had one of my wife's employees sit until the morning, of course paid extra, and then I would show up at 6am. Now it is not bad at all and my last one was so easy. Well except for the interview part and the when they go out of their way to find something perfectly ok and make you jump the hoop that it wasn't ok and needs fixing. Also i do not do retirement and this takes longer as well.

That was about the time they moved to Promenada.  I knew people that paid for 'queue sitters', and of course many Chinese were abusing that by having one 'sitter' for a swag of family and friends.

Back on topic and my AZ jab has just been pushed back, new appointment date to be advised.  

Just now, KaptainRob said:

That was about the time they moved to Promenada.  I knew people that paid for 'queue sitters', and of course many Chinese were abusing that by having one 'sitter' for a swag of family and friends.

Back on topic and my AZ jab has just been pushed back, new appointment date to be advised.  

No, a few years + before Promenada. Second sentence is correct. Well on the AZ, once again I am sure you cannot be hugely surprised, but a little disappointed and a little torqued wrapped into one. This might be an ongoing saga until they finally get everything manufactured and delivered domestic wise the way the want it.

• Cool 1

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Vitoon Danwiboon from the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation says it’s been working to purchase the vaccines [Moderna] since February. 

That rather begs the questions:

i) Why only since February?

Incompetence is hardly credible.  The only logical answer is because it was in someone's interest not to do so before.

ii) Why only for the private sector, not the government, as Moderna is no more than Sinovac? 

Again incompetence is hardly credible and the only logical answer is ... because it was in someone's interest not to do so.

You don't need to be too bright to work it out, and plenty have.

22 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well on the AZ, once again I am sure you cannot be hugely surprised, but a little disappointed and a little torqued wrapped into one. This might be an ongoing saga until they finally get everything manufactured and delivered domestic wise the way the want it.

"Might" ?  

Why "might" ???

Some provinces evidently haven't even got all their hospital  staff vaccinated yet, while others haven't even opened registration for any expats at all, let alone postponed their appointments.

Let's be at least vaguely realistic.

The company that has a monopoly on the manufacture of Covid-19 vaccine in Thailand is owned by the institution which is protected by the Army and which cannot be criticized. So nothing is going to change. Get used to it. It's your life.

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

"Might" ?  

Why "might" ???

Some provinces evidently haven't even got all their hospital  staff vaccinated yet, while others haven't even opened registration for any expats at all, let alone postponed their appointments.

Let's be at least vaguely realistic.

I was trying to be light spoken on this. If you want a more realistic opinion, it looks as if the you know who will drag this out until a you know who certain domestic supplier manufactures the majority of the you know what so then the you know who can then purchase the you know what for the population with the you know whose tax money and in the end come and save the day for all Thai with all living happily ever after until the next variant jab is needed. In the meantime things will continue to go south and create great havoc and hardship for all in this country except the elite. But I could be wrong. 

Edited by HolyCowCm

Thai officials made a mess of this whole vaccine business. I fault the scientists and the culture where they probably didn't have a great input. Every day Thailand doesn't vaccinate, people will die! Did some officials hoped that there will be money made on this? Shameful! The honorable thing would be for some high ranking officials to resign! And incidentally when you don't have enough vaccine for your own people why you sending 2/3 of your vaccine to other countries?! IRRESPONSIBLE! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Thai officials made a mess of this whole vaccine business. I fault the scientists and the culture where they probably didn't have a great input. Every day Thailand doesn't vaccinate, people will die! Did some officials hoped that there will be money made on this? Shameful! The honorable thing would be for some high ranking officials to resign! And incidentally when you don't have enough vaccine for your own people why you sending 2/3 of your vaccine to other countries?! IRRESPONSIBLE! 

Answered before:- because that was a condition of Siam Biotechs licensing with Oxford.

Officials will not resign, this is Thailand.

21 hours ago, Stonker said:

That rather begs the questions:

i) Why only since February?

Incompetence is hardly credible.  The only logical answer is because it was in someone's interest not to do so before.

ii) Why only for the private sector, not the government, as Moderna is no more than Sinovac? 

Again incompetence is hardly credible and the only logical answer is ... because it was in someone's interest not to do so.

You don't need to be too bright to work it out, and plenty have.

Stonker has it pegged - most likely not incompetence.  Almost certainly deliberate.  Importing a good vaccine at a reasonable price would provide very stiff competition to the locally produced one.

Why do all you farangs sit moaning day ofter day, week after week, month after month, do you enjoy it?

You know this nonsense with Thailand getting vaccines will continue, just get on a plane, fly home and get your vaccines in the you own country, simple.

21 hours ago, JamesR said:

Why do all you farangs sit moaning day ofter day, week after week, month after month, do you enjoy it?

You know this nonsense with Thailand getting vaccines will continue, just get on a plane, fly home and get your vaccines in the you own country, simple.

With respect that’s a stupid suggestion.  Many Australians have been trying to get home since this pandemic started and are STILL stuck abroad. But even if they managed it Australia’s vaccine roll out ha been, if anything, worse than Thailand’s. Personally I’m in no hurry to be vaccinated especially if Sinovac is the only one on offer. But ex-pats living in Thailand clearly have the financial resources to be here. I feel sorry for the millions of Thais who, having  previously worked in the tourist industry, have no job and no income and nor will they until the Thai government get their derrière into gear and step up Thailand’s vaccination program.

• Like 2