Bangkok to Phuket Sandbox

Don

50 minutes ago, Don said:

Are transit flights from Bangkok allowed in the Phuket Sandbox program?

If you are flying in to BKK you will still go into quarantine (ASQ). You then 'qualify' to go to Phuket.

I do not have a direct flight into Phuket.  Therfore the only choice was a transit to another airline once I arrive in Bangkok.

23 hours ago, Don said:

I do not have a direct flight into Phuket.  Therfore the only choice was a transit to another airline once I arrive in Bangkok.

This is in the plan. (It's a requirement for the Samui opening) But it's not available yet for Phuket. Don't know how they're going to pull it off in terms of immigration and customs or the required "on arrival" testing and paperwork checks. Last I read is that they're going to dedicate some gates to the transit arrivals and it will be a sealed transfer from your international arrival gate to the transit gate.

7 minutes ago, Tee said:

Why are transit flights via BKK allowed when traveling to K. Samui but not allowed when traveling to Phuket?

Well, this is a can of worms. The airport in Koh Samui is owned by Bangkok Airways. They don't allow other airlines to fly there (but will allow private jets if you have one lying about). So the only way to get to KS is on a Bangkok Air flight and so: !PRESTO! transit in Bangkok. Phuket is a full-on International Airport with a history of direct flights so the Powers That Be decided no transit at the beginning of the Sandbox. It may start happening if there is any demand, particularly if BKK Air starts doing it to KS.

• Like 1

Thanks for that information  JamesE, 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this obvious (to me anyway) discrepancy may be resolved.

I suspect allowing BKK transits for pax inbound to Phuket would make the Sandbox there more successful  

2 hours ago, Tee said:

Thanks for that information  JamesE, 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this obvious (to me anyway) discrepancy may be resolved.

I suspect allowing BKK transits for pax inbound to Phuket would make the Sandbox there more successful  

Be careful what you wish for. If you came in and transited BKK you'd get put on a regular domestic flight. With regular unvaccinated travelers. If one of your fellow passengers tested positive you'd spend 14 days in quarantine.

50 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

I am not sure seems like a more than a few flight to Bangkok have been adjusted to do a stop over in phuket.

(no knowledge, just from news flight passenger reports)

Yeah, it looks like they've repurposed the old semi-commercial routes for a stop in Phuket. Makes sense when you don't have more than 50 or 60 people going to any one destination.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 8:13 PM, Don said:

Are transit flights from Bangkok allowed in the Phuket Sandbox program?

No. 

On 7/4/2021 at 9:24 PM, Don said:

Where are you arriving from. All the Gulf Airlines fly direct to Phuket. 

On 7/4/2021 at 9:24 PM, Don said:

As I understand it, you cannot transit through BKK without doing 14 days in the pokey. You need to provide a copy of your airline ticket when you apply for your COE, so they are unlikely to grant it. where are you located, and I can probably recommend a route for you.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:02 PM, JamesE said:

Don't know how they're going to pull it off in terms of immigration and customs or the required "on arrival" testing and paperwork checks.

I understand that with all the rules in place, it now takes about 2.5 hours to get past immigration. Fortunately, so far passenger landings have been about 300 a day.