Flights and passenger numbers slowly rising in Phuket Sandbox

Thaiger

As we enter day 4 of the Phuket Sandbox reopening, while numbers aren’t anywhere near earlier estimates or historical totals, they are steadily growing day by day. Each day has brought a few more flights and passenger numbers to Phuket are steadily creeping up daily. By today, the original first-day estimate of 1,500 arrivals should be surpassed. Today’s arrivals are underway, with the Thai Airways’ London flight landing first this morning at 6:07 am. It had been estimated to have sold about 150 seats, but the number of travellers who arrived and are staying in Phuket has not been confirmed […]

The post Flights and passenger numbers slowly rising in Phuket Sandbox appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

i find this hard to believe.  anyone who voluntarily goes on a vacation and submits to wearing a face diaper and paying someone 300 usd to get tested for covid has mental health issues.

Edited by kmc
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kmc said:

i find this hard to believe.  anyone who voluntarily goes on a vacation and submits to wearing a face diaper and paying someone 300 usd to get tested for covid has mental health issues.

I agree this is hard to believe, if these arrivals are classified as “tourists”. These are not tourist arrivals but simply foreigners wishing to enter Thailand for a whole list of reasons. These generally aren’t people who will be spending large amounts of money on tourist activities. I also plan to use the less restrictive option of the Phuket sandbox to return in August or September. I’m not returning to go jet skiing or visit floating markets. I’m returning to a life I have had in Thailand for many many years with a house and family and friends there. I will be spending very little in Phuket and keeping myself isolated as best I can, for fear of contracting the virus and then having to go to hospital for 14 days. I may be wrong and possibly future data or images may prove me wrong, however I would estimate “real tourists” numbers to be less than 100? Who knows????

Edited by Soidog
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree this is hard to believe, if these arrivals are classified as “tourists”. These are not tourist arrivals but simply foreigners wishing to enter Thailand for a whole list of reasons. These generally aren’t people who will be spending large amounts of money on tourist activities. I also plan to use the less restrictive option of the Phuket sandbox to return in August or September. I’m not returning to go jet skiing or visit floating markets. I’m returning to a life I have had in Thailand for many many years with a house and family and friends there. I will be spending very little in Phuket and keeping myself isolated as best I can, for fear of contracting the virus and then having to go to hospital for 14 days. I may be wrong and possibly future data or images may prove me wrong, however I would estimate “real tourists” numbers to be less than 100? Who knows????

I find these figures somewhat dubious, I suspect the 'genuine' figures are considerably less. I can understand some people taking the plunge, probably out of desperation, impatience, laissez-faire or a combination of all three. Good luck to them. Personally I want to get back to CM, but I'll do so when more dust has settled and not until.

• Like 2

I would also add a comparison. Over the past 24 hours there have been over 100 arriving aircraft in to Manchester airport in the U.K.  If we assumed an average of even just 50 passengers on each flight (probably more like 100), then that means Manchester had 5,000 “Tourist arrivals” in a single day ;-)

Sorry, just to make it clear for those not familiar with Manchester, hardly anyone would go there for tourism right. However, if we apply the logic of the TAT, then they are ALL “tourists”. Anyway, if it keeps them happy and keeps fooling the foreign investors to support the strong baht, then all is fine. 

Edited by Soidog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Objectivance said:

Has it been clarified how many are returnees or Thai citizens, vs tourists? 

TAT haven't thrown their dice yet, to 'calculate' the breakdown of the groups.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I would also add a comparison. Over the past 24 hours there have been over 100 arriving aircraft in to Manchester airport in the U.K.  If we assumed an average of even just 50 passengers on each flight (probably more like 100), then that means Manchester had 5,000 “Tourist arrivals” in a single day ;-)

Sorry, just to make it clear for those not familiar with Manchester, hardly anyone would go there for tourism right. However, if we apply the logic of the TAT, then they are ALL “tourists”. Anyway, if it keeps them happy and keeps fooling the foreign investors to support the strong baht, then all is fine. 

I live close to the Lake District Soi Dog and i can assure you Tourists mostly Japanese and Chinese are currently filling up the hotels in the National Park visiting Beatrix Potter, Wordsworths house, lake Windermere and Coniston. The local tourist board are desperate for Staff as they cannot meet demand. Same as the Peak district tourists numbers very high. Most Southern towns in Devon and Cornwall fully booked. Mainly with brit holiday makers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

I live close to the Lake District Soi Dog and i can assure you Tourists mostly Japanese and Chinese are currently filling up the hotels in the National Park visiting Beatrix Potter, Wordsworths house, lake Windermere and Coniston. The local tourist board are desperate for Staff as they cannot meet demand. Same as the Peak district tourists numbers very high. Most Southern towns in Devon and Cornwall fully booked. Mainly with brit holiday makers.

I’m sure that’s true. I would imagine many are British holiday makers choosing to stay in the U.K. for their holidays this year instead of going to Spain, Cyprus or Thailand. 

Over the coming weeks the U.K. tourism will bounce back significantly due to the lifting of restrictions in social distancing, mask wearing and checking in to venues with QR codes. 

6 hours ago, Mike-Hunt said:

TAT haven't thrown their dice yet, to 'calculate' the breakdown of the groups.

Dice? Nothing so primitive. They have a seer. But the problem is he's been drunk since early June and they haven't been able to fire up his mojo enough to get the updated figures.

• Haha 2

Approximately 80+ passengers on board yesterday's Singapore SQ726 flight to Phuket. Took just over an hour to be processed by very competent Thai support staff. Now waking up with negative covid test results ready for breakfast! Brilliant morning sunshine! Let the holiday begin! 

13 minutes ago, TomRawls said:

Approximately 80+ passengers on board yesterday's Singapore SQ726 flight to Phuket. Took just over an hour to be processed by very competent Thai support staff. Now waking up with negative covid test results ready for breakfast! Brilliant morning sunshine! Let the holiday begin! 

Welcome to ThaigerTalk, and Thailand too!  I'm keen to hear more about your Sandbox experience.  ie: where you came from and are you tourist or returning expat; staying where and how quiet or how busy is it ... your experience may assist others in making a decision on coming via Phuket or doing the ASQ.