News Forum - Thailand’s 5 national parks raise entry fees for foreigners by 100%

Thaiger

Thailand’s five national parks announced new entry fees to their attractions and they’re stinging foreigners in the pocket, increasing entrance costs by 100%. Entry fees for Thai people remain the same. The Department of National Park, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation Facebook page posted a two-page document about the new entry fees last Friday, September 30. Khao Yai National Park in the central province of Nakhon Ratchasima, Prachinburi, Saraburi, and Nakhon Nayok Adult: 400 baht Children: 200 baht Khao Laem Ya – Mu Koh Samet National Park in the eastern province of Rayong (including Koh Talu, Koh Kudee, Koh Kham – […]

The story Thailand’s 5 national parks raise entry fees for foreigners by 100% as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Would just like to point out that the 7 day individual pass to Yosemite national park (in CA, USA) is the equivalent to 350 baht. Given the latest increase, the pricing structure here seems out of wack (in context). 

Yosemite-National-Park-Fees.jpg.925c2f318efd665aa63762f56e3a46b2.jpg

• Like 4

How spectacularly out of touch. The dual pricing is already a problem for tourists and expats. Instead of fixing the problem, these morons commit an outrage and double it. On principle, I will never pay to go into a national park in Thailand.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, js89 said:

How spectacularly out of touch. The dual pricing is already a problem for tourists and expats. Instead of fixing the problem, these morons commit an outrage and double it. On principle, I will never pay to go into a national park in Thailand.

400 baht is not a bother to me and gladly pay it

But it is way out of touch, when you are trying to bring back tourists

Exercising personal choice and not paying a fee 20x higher is in no way an expression of "privilege" or lack of a "humble attitude". I'm not beholden to anybody for how and where I spend my money and I'm not going to rehash the well-known arguments against dual pricing.

Thailand still gets my money - it's just spent elsewhere, where I'm not being blatantly ripped off. 

< edited >
Moderator.

Edited by Faz
removed quote
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, f1fan22 said:

So what should a Thai do when they ask him to pay 5,000 THB to get a visa to enter any western country even just as a tourist, whereas you can enter Thailand for up to 45 days for FREE.

Is this not dual pricing? 

You can say you won't pay those prices. But calling out and bashing Thailand for something other countries do as well is ridiculous.

That's not dual pricing. It would be dual pricing if two different nationalities were charged different fees for the same visa. This comes about because these countries require a visa for Thai citizens, whereas Thailand chooses to give western tourists a visa exemption. 

The visa exemption is a deliberate policy enacted by the Thai government because they wish to make it easier for tourists to come to Thailand and spend their money in Thailand. They could choose to make tourists apply for and pay for a visa and thereby eliminate that difference. The fact that western tourists are given a visa waiver has nothing to do with the western governments. 

So visa fees are perhaps not the best example to use when trying to rationalise dual pricing. Some countries or localities do have discounts for locals, although it's generally the exception rather than the rule and the disparity between the local price and the tourist price is far smaller than the 2,000% - 4,000% one sees in Thai national parks. 

I suspect most tourists and expats would not mind paying a bit more, but the level of pricing disparity in Thai dual pricing is so extreme that it offends most people's sense of fair play.

• Like 7

A number of derogatory posts and replies have been removed.

Note to members.
If you receive an intimidating or threatening reply to one of your posts, do not reply in similar fashion.
Report the post and let the moderators deal with it.

Admin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

400 baht is not a bother to me and gladly pay it

But it is way out of touch, when you are trying to bring back tourists

It is not about the money, it is about their ethics.

• Like 2

@f1fan22
The topic is about 5 national Thai parks increasing prices to foreigners, not Countries Immigration policies and Visa fees. Your off-topic. If you'd like to discuss Visa fees, open a new topic in the Immigration section, and I'll gladly accommodate your questions.

Moderator.

• Like 2

Off-topic posts have been removed.

Read the FG's.
Rule 6. All text and posted content must align to the topic and/or the first post under that topic. 

Members posting further off topic content on Immigration policies and fees will be issued formal warnings and sanctioned.

Admin.

53 minutes ago, Alavan said:

That debate has been done to death

I've posted countless links where we in the West get discounts for all sorts of things/attractions for being residents of our country/city

So it really is about the money............

But, in this instance, just a foolish move when trying to have tourism bounce back

AND..............Most of the National Park Fees in North America are about the same as farang pricing

So since I usually go with my Thai family, it works out cheaper than when we go to Parks in US/Canada

But I know people don't look at things like that rationally................

7 hours ago, bushav8r said:

I wonder how many foreigners will simply refuse to go to these parks.  

I already refuse to visit nat parks/water falls on principal,  I live and work and pay taxes in Thailand so that all the thai gov is getting from me

• Like 1

To me as a tourist I never minded paying tourist fees to see places in Thailand but once you live here it should be different. I recently went to Pha Taem National Park. I was greeted by a lady in what looked like an army uniform and was told I had to pay 400 baht, my wife 30 baht and my car 30 baht. Even after showing my Thai ID and house-book I was told I had to be a Thai citizen. I turned and left because I’m not a tourist and shouldn’t be treated as one. It’s simply a rip off fee because tourists can usually afford it. If Thailand wants outsiders to live here then perhaps they should make them feel like they’re welcome instead of just a source of money. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Alavan said:

It’s disturbing that these fees apply even if you live here. We’re only seen as a source of money and so every time I get ripped off I’ll it saddens me because I want to feel like this is my home. 

• Like 4

I have well enough cash, way more than enough in reality.  But the issue is that it was barely worth seeing for the original price, let alone double that. There's way more fun to be had elsewhere for 400 bht.

Obviously the people who make these sorts of decisions are completely out of touch, as far as what their future tourism industry will be like. 2023 is gonna be very rough, in that industry if it even exists at all by then. But the bigger issue is the inability to see that it's not worth the asking price. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, f1fan22 said:

Dual pricing exists on the West as much as it does here, you all just never noticed cuz you all are nationals of whichever farangland country you come from. 

To begin with, you get 30 days (now 45 days) FREE entry into Thailand. A Thai on the other hand has to pay an average of 5,000 THB more or less just to get a visa to enter any Western country. 

Now say again dual pricing exists only in Thailand. 

Sorry but out of the 3 countries I’ve lived in I’ve never seen dual pricing, only in Thailand. Soon there will be a fee to enter Thailand of 300 baht and when I came here on a 2 month visa I did pay for it as I also did for a 30 day extension. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s five national parks announced new entry fees to their attractions and they’re stinging foreigners in the pocket, increasing entrance costs by 100%. Entry fees for Thai people remain the same. The Department of National Park, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation Facebook page posted a two-page document about the new entry fees last Friday, September 30. Khao Yai National Park in the central province of Nakhon Ratchasima, Prachinburi, Saraburi, and Nakhon Nayok Adult: 400 baht Children: 200 baht Khao Laem Ya – Mu Koh Samet National Park in the eastern province of Rayong (including Koh Talu, Koh Kudee, Koh Kham – […]

The story Thailand’s 5 national parks raise entry fees for foreigners by 100% as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Greed

The problem here is how a foreigner is identified. I was once on the way to a park with my thai family, driving a Thailand registered car and at the entrance I was not asked to show any identification. Just based on the judgement of the cashier I was asked to pay the high fee. I'm sure if I would have resembled a thai citizen, we would have passed just paying thai citizen entrance fees.

1 hour ago, Giltee said:

It’s disturbing that these fees apply even if you live here. We’re only seen as a source of money and so every time I get ripped off I’ll it saddens me because I want to feel like this is my home. 

But you sort of signed a contract that it isn't your home 

99% of farang are on a glorified tourist visa

So why would you then demand to be treated as if it's your home?

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), there are currently 133 national parks in Thailand. Established in 1962, Khao Yai National Park is the country’s first national park.

https://thailand.prd.go.th/1700/ewt/thailand/ewt_news.php?nid=8297&filename=index

The headline stating "Thailand's 5 National Parks.." is somewhat misleading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Which ever way you care to look at it, dual pricing is morally wrong and racist. We are being charged more for being a foreigner and not for being better off, ipso facto anybody that thinks racism should not be questioned deserves to be charged more.

• Like 1