Old Britsh films

Posted (edited)

There isn't a specific area for films, so I'll add my comment here.

If you're old and black & white like me, perhaps you'll like old and black & white British comedy films.
There are two here that are both on youtube, dead easy to find.

The Runaway Bus (1954) with Frankie Howerd, Margaret Rutherford, Petula Clark, Terence Alexander,

Where there's A Will (1955) with Kathleen Harrison, George Cole, Leslie Dwyer, Dandy Nichols, Edward Woodward, Sam Kydd,

Go on, give it a go!

Edited by Mike-Hunt
error

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Doctor Strangelove of course. One of my all time favorite films. "There's no fighting in the war room!" 

The Caretaker with Clive Donner, Donald Pleasence, Alan Bates, Robert Shaw, Harold Pinter.  I worked in Hollywood for forty years just in case you are wondering what is wrong with me. I tell bar girls that because I like blank looks on their faces. 

Donald Pleasence was Ernst Stavro Blofeld in You Only Live Twice and I will speak in his voice from time to time.  

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Stupid question but have they gotta be Black and White films I can think off a couple off classic British film from the 70s and 80's but there colour.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Doctor Strangelove of course. One of my all time favorite films. "There's no fighting in the war room!"

That had a really long title that's hardly ever quoted: Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.  

• Like 1

" Kes " classic specially the Football Scene, and " Rita, Sue and Bob Too ",  great lines from the Drunken father and the old guy shouting off a balcony, and worth a watch " The Amazing Mr Blunden about 2 Children going back to the 18th Century to write a wrong.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interested in films about the region? There are movies about the Malayan Emergency, including The Planter's Wife (1952), Windom's Way (1957) and an American-British production, The 7th Dawn (1964), the latter based on the Australian novelist Michael Keon's The Durian Tree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Metaluna said:

Interested in films about the region? There are movies about the Malayan Emergency, including The Planter's Wife (1952), Windom's Way (1957) and an American-British production, The 7th Dawn (1964), the latter based on the Australian novelist Michael Keon's The Durian Tree.

There's another film, a comedy that just happens to be set in Malaya:
Privates On Parade (1983)  1hr 47mins    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084538/   
A British film starring John Cleese. One of my all-time favourites.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 2:58 PM, Andrew Reeve said:

Top of my list is the "Ladykillers", I watch this film yearly and its a very smart story-line.

LADYKILLERS.jpg

What a tragic remake Tom Hanks made of this. I think it ranks with Maddona's "American Pie" in the category of, "You had to go and spoil it".

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Transam said:

Fabulous actor, Charles Laughton, two great films, in my opinion.

Mutiny on the Bounty & The Hunchback of Notre Dame....124068817_CharlesLaughton.thumb.jpg.85e9fb68f8b095ac0deb56e456f6f795.jpg

2019230779_CharlesLaughton.2.thumb.jpg.2b2ebc135d2d7b991a8202b9e3477658.jpg

Both were Hollywood produced. But in fairness, of the three major productions to date of Hunchback, Laughton's portrayal was the best.

After much deliberation, I have chosen "Zulu" as my favourite Old British Film. I think 1964 is old enough.

I am sure most of us know the story, so my synopsis with the benefit of being a bit wiser on the true history of these events is, "What the British Empire did best! Invading other countries and massacring the natives"! However, I've probably seen it a dozen times, and it is a rousing story.

Apart from starring in the film, Stanley Baker also produced it. It was very much a  labour of love for Baker because it was about a detachment of heroic mainly Welsh soldiers, and Baker was a Taffy.