AstraZeneca cuts monthly vaccine deliveries from 10 to 5 million

Thaiger

In an announcement not likely to surprise many, a senior health official announced today that the previously declared 10 million AstraZeneca vaccines per month expected to be distributed in Thailand will now be lowered and perhaps cut in half. The drop of 40 to 50% comes as Thailand’s domestic facilities at Siam Bioscience are unable to meet production needs for domestic distribution and promised international exports. Revising the original commitment, AstraZeneca will now aim to deliver 5 million to 6 million vaccines per month in Thailand. The plan will start this month just as the original 10 million vaccine plan […]

The post AstraZeneca cuts monthly vaccine deliveries from 10 to 5 million appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Wow the company that got the contract (don't know how) to make vaccines that had never produced vaccines can't produce enough vaccines

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

For the Thai government to place all it's eggs in one basket was stupid. To do so with a supplier with zero track record of either production or supply of vaccines was a step beyond and surely tantamount to criminal negligence.

But for that supplier, SB, to knowingly enter into contracts to priotitise and supply foreign countries over Thai citizens is beyond the pale and contrary to the actions taken by all governments with the one exception of the CCP.

If they understood the meaning of the word Thailand's leaders, of all hues, should hang their heads in shame.

The press might go easy on them but the people will file this away and it will fuel future fires.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

17 minutes ago, Rob2010 said:

For the Thai government to place all it's eggs in one basket was stupid. To do so with a supplier with zero track record of either production or supply of vaccines was a step beyond and surely tantamount to criminal negligence.

But for that supplier, SB, to knowingly enter into contracts to priotitise and supply foreign countries over Thai citizens is beyond the pale and contrary to the actions taken by all governments with the one exception of the CCP.

If they understood the meaning of the word Thailand's leaders, of all hues, should hang their heads in shame.

The press might go easy on them but the people will file this away and it will fuel future fires.

For what little it means I agree with you , except I am never to sure about the general public. final thought 

image.png.dfcb39626e535b9fa917242fbf369f96.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Rob2010 said:

While I agree with your post, I think the last sentence is the one I think will more than likely not 'fuel' anything in the future. The Thais are too forgiving and I can't see them keeping a grudge for very long, even though I think they need to remember how appallingly they have been treated.
While Covid problem is ongoing and protests not practical, it effectively allows the incompetent government to get away with murder - in every sense of the word.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

Wow the company that got the contract (don't know how) to make vaccines that had never produced vaccines can't produce enough vaccines

Not different from Astra Zeneca itself. They also never made a vaccin before, hence their problems.
They had better stayed with their anesthesia foe dentists

it reminds me on that what happened in Europe at the beginning of the vaccination campaign: Astra could not deliver... suddenly. They said that they had production problems...

later it came out that the vaccine had been produced and went to ..... the UK! Rumors said that it was because the UK (like US and Israel) paid more than the EU; European governments wanted to see the Management in prison... but nothing happened. Now it seems that all the production problems in Europe are solved (maybe because the UK has enough vaccine now)...

so maybe the Thai government should check the real output of the production plants...

I certainly can't brag about my own country's vaccination rollout. We produce AZ under license at the rate of a million doses a week. Sounds big, but when it's now only recommended for people over 60 (previously 50) and there is insufficient supply of Pfizer and only vague assurances that supplies of Pfizer and Moderna will be coming late this year, it's cold comfort. Between vaccine hesitancy and supply line problems it's no wonder things are moving far too slowly. One positive effect out of recent breakouts of the Delta Variant, is that people are now more anxious to get vaccinated. I can only hope the Thai government doesn't "drop the ball" in Phuket. Phuket is a doable job and a test case for the rest of Thailand. What I do protest is companieslike Pfizer,Moderna, J&J and others, not granting licenses for other countries to produce their vaccines. At least AZ has done so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again PROVE Prayut and his cronies are totally inadequate to even organize a childs birthday party. This combined with their complete lack for the interests of other people, the ordinairy Thai in particular, screams for drastic measures to make certain they will be ousted as soon as possible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

What I do protest is companieslike Pfizer,Moderna, J&J and others, not granting licenses for other countries to produce their vaccines. At least AZ has done so. 

I would not be surprised if a big part of that thinking is liability, via product quality control.  If they offload their manufacturing to other companies, and those companies screw it up, then they are the ones with the damaged reputations and egg on their faces.  Look at the AZ debacle.

Local politicians are not going to "inspect" or demand an accounting of the local facilities production amounts, quality or anything else, because they could possibly face a 112 charge.

I'm holed up and virtually hiding as I watch the Delta get closer and closer...cause it's coming and know that for once I was in the wrong country at the wrong time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So blantely clear that the elites in this country that are pulling the strings only care about one thing. Filling there pockets !  What a compete shame and embarrassment.  

• Like 1

Just a reminder to ex-pats, if you’re thinking of taking a trip back to your western country or Australia within the next year, perhaps when vaccinated travellers no longer need to quarantine in either direction, stay well clear of any Chinese vaccines. They’re not  approved by your home country nor probably ever will be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris61 said:

it reminds me on that what happened in Europe at the beginning of the vaccination campaign: Astra could not deliver... suddenly. They said that they had production problems...

later it came out that the vaccine had been produced and went to ..... the UK! Rumors said that it was because the UK (like US and Israel) paid more than the EU; European governments wanted to see the Management in prison... but nothing happened. Now it seems that all the production problems in Europe are solved (maybe because the UK has enough vaccine now)...

so maybe the Thai government should check the real output of the production plants...

there's your answer.

exports fetch a higher price.

12 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

Just a reminder to ex-pats, if you’re thinking of taking a trip back to your western country or Australia within the next year, perhaps when vaccinated travellers no longer need to quarantine in either direction, stay well clear of any Chinese vaccines. They’re not  approved by your home country nor probably ever will be. 

Nor is the Astra Zeneca vaccine made by Siam Bioscience!!!! 

28 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

Aust has only approved 2 so far - AZ and Pfizer - evaluations continuing on the others.

10 hours ago, Alavan said:

Not different from Astra Zeneca itself. They also never made a vaccin before, hence their problems.
They had better stayed with their anesthesia foe dentists

My comment was not about AstraZeneca it's about a thai company (look who owns them) that was given the contract that never manufactured a vaccine before.. even though they have been given the recipe they just can't cook !

19 minutes ago, WildIrishRover said:

Nor is the Astra Zeneca vaccine made by Siam Bioscience!!!! 

The AZ vaccine is approved for emergency in many countries, including the one manufactured in Thailand by Siam Bioscience.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Chris61 said:

It didn't 'go' to the UK, it was manufactured in the UK.

• Like 1

I

50 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

I can't imagine a country turning away Chinese students and tourists vaccinated domestically once open for outbound travel based on vaccine politics at that point. The lure of the billions of dollars will be too great.

Yet another reason why it is crap to live in Thailand on temporary yearly visas, but it is still a great place for long holidays as long as you can get away back to the 'real' world when events like this virus happens in order to get proper medical treatment right away. 

13 hours ago, Guevara said:

It didn't 'go' to the UK, it was manufactured in the UK.

No, next to 2 plants in the UK 2 plants in the EU produced it and exported it to the UK.

Obviously the Thai government hasn't paid Astra Zeneca for the vaccine they ordered or they couldn't cut the order in half.  So who is to blame for that???

I got my first AZ shot a few weeks ago; scheduled for the second in October.  I wonder if that'll be postponed now.