Phuket Sandbox: European flights have 400 people tomorrow

Thaiger

As flights roll into Phuket International Airport today, the Sandbox scheme is slowly coming alive. Tomorrow should see the arrival of the first European flights into the Phuket Sandbox reopening as Thai Airways welcomes 3 arriving flights. Overnight flights from Copenhagen and Frankfurt departing now should arrive in the early hours of the morning followed an hour later by a flight from Paris. The Copenhagen flight has 53 economy passengers and 4 business class travellers, with 44 booked to stay in Phuket and 13 continuing to Bangkok, an increase from the 47 seats booked as of 2 days ago. The […]

The post Phuket Sandbox: European flights have 400 people tomorrow appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

On 6/27/2021 at 7:19 AM, AussieBob said:

Too late to do lockdown anyway.  And if they did try to lockdown, then many Thais would leave and go to other Provinces - spreading it even more than Songkran did. Western people are very much 'stuck' where we live and work, but Thais and most SEAsian people, can easily move to another location for as long as they like. 

Would be great to know how many Thaïs & how many farangs, then survey if tourists or returnees or for biz matters.. Would help hotels strategy in mid & longer terms

• Like 1

Interesting, and I would love to know how all these passengers managed to get their COE.

My application has been sitting in the embassy in Madrid  since Monday 28.06, "waiting for approval"

No movement and no answer to my email.

Does anyone have the same experience, or know what to do?

"Frankfurt flight has 17 business class passengers and 72 economy travellers"

They burn a lot of $$$ :)

17 business 2700.- 45900.-  72 eco 800.- 57600.-    (+/- xxxx)

Boeing 777(?) Cost per hrs. 11k x 11hrs x 2 (FRA-HKT-FRA) = 242.000  (+/- xxxx)

It's better (cheaper) not to fly for the airline... :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, runsame said:

"Frankfurt flight has 17 business class passengers and 72 economy travellers"

They burn a lot of $$$ :)

17 business 2700.- 45900.-  72 eco 800.- 57600.-    (+/- xxxx)

Boeing 777(?) Cost per hrs. 11k x 11hrs x 2 (FRA-HKT-FRA) = 242.000  (+/- xxxx)

It's better (cheaper) not to fly for the airline... :)

Interesting stats, for sure, in this very enlightening debut post and thanks for that!

Hello, runsame and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

57 minutes ago, Patnou said:

Would be great to know how many Thaïs & how many farangs, then survey if tourists or returnees or for biz matters.. Would help hotels strategy in mid & longer terms

I think they'd like to keep that a mystery, for obvious reasons. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Thai airlines has 3 flights on Saturday due into Phuket from Copenhagen (A350-9), Frankfurt (A350-9) , Paris, (B787-8)

Very worrying is the fact there is no sign of any European airlines operating into Phuket at the moment. Maybe next week we will see an uplift!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

travellers from Europe may fly by Arabian airlines too,
if they don`t like to sit about 12 hours in a plane

transit in Dubai or Abu Dhabi with 2 or 3 hours time for next flight
could make sense, you can even arrive in Dubai in the late evening,
stay at cheap hotel near the airport, next day visit Dubai
and fly relaxed to Thailand in the late evening

and in high seasons before corona those airways where much cheaper sometimes

Something is fishy here: why would  _tourists_   go to all this trouble just to go on vacation - get visas, etc. - when there are tropical countries without any barriers for entry. Personally, I would not go  _on vacation_  to any country that requires a visa application and a quarantine. Only for long stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelBurn said:

Something is fishy here: why would  _tourists_   go to all this trouble just to go on vacation - get visas, etc. - when there are tropical countries without any barriers for entry. Personally, I would not go  _on vacation_  to any country that requires a visa application and a quarantine. Only for long stay.

Agreed with the fishy statement!  I think we all know that with the exception of the odd few people who like to experience unusual things on holiday (chasing tornados, visiting Chernobyl), the only people coming are either Thais or people who have a long term interest in returning to Thailand. The stock photos of a 30 something mum and dad with two cute kids aged 5 and 8 enjoying the swimming pool, will only be families who will then go on to Bangkok and return to work. It’s utter nonsense to think this is the return of genuine tourism. All this is doing is lowering the pain threshold of quarantine slightly in order to entice a few more people to return for whatever reason they wish to be in Thailand longer term. 

• Like 1

I watched a video on YouTube (It's Thai Things) this morning and Ms. Suchira (a licensed tour guide) detailed the expected arrivals during the first four days of July. That number, +/- 1,700, almost exactly corresponds to the number of hotel room-nights booked for the period 1 - 15 July. It will be interesting to see how things improve over the next week or two. I would really like to see it hit 1K arrivals per day but those numbers might not happen until northern-latitude winter kicks in in the 4th quarter.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:28 AM, Andrew Reeve said:

Thai airlines has 3 flights on Saturday due into Phuket from Copenhagen (A350-9), Frankfurt (A350-9) , Paris, (B787-8)

Very worrying is the fact there is no sign of any European airlines operating into Phuket at the moment. Maybe next week we will see an uplift!!

With the exception of charters, I have no knowledge of European airines flying directly to Phuket, be it Lufthansa, British, KLM, Air France, Alitalia...

24 minutes ago, Alavan said:

With the exception of charters, I have no knowledge of European airines flying directly to Phuket, be it Lufthansa, British, KLM, Air France, Alitalia...

On Monday only one international flight is scheduled in: Singapore Air.