News Forum - Prices plummet on cannabis, farmers ask for regulation

Thaiger

Who could have seen it coming? With the decriminalisation and deregulation of cannabis, prices have plummeted and farmers are asking for price regulation from the government. Now people are able to grow the plant on their own and sell the crops. The original farmers with government contracts have seen an 80% to 90% reduction in value of their crops. In many parts of Thailand, the oversupply of cannabis is clearly evident, with new shops on every street corner and cannabis being incorporated into food and drink menus. About a million people were licensed to grow, sell, and consume the plant. […]

The story Prices plummet on cannabis, farmers ask for regulation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Good news for consumers. Lots of products are now available at reasonable prices. And if everyone is allowed to grow a few plants, that trend is unlikely to change..? Happy days..! 

Yeah those dutch people that years ago argued that légalisation of drugs takes it out of the criminal corner were always right. Learn the lesson people from countries where drugs are illegal!!

• Like 2

The green was always there. So many people growing and selling to bolster their income or just to look after their group of friends. The illegality and the clandestine way it was handled set the market price. Now it has been made legal, all those plants are coming out of the bushland and backyards and flooding the market. It was always going to happen. Think a bit is probably sneaking over the borders too, now there is a legitimate market. Unless the people who have invested heavily come up with their own strains or diversify into the plethora of other uses this humble and very versatile plant has and compete that way. Other than the government stepping in I cannot see them getting much of a return on their investment. I mean 15 plants. Some varieties can yield up to 6 pounds per plant. 🌲  

19 minutes ago, SanSaiSid said:

Good news for consumers. Lots of products are now available at reasonable prices. And if everyone is allowed to grow a few plants, that trend is unlikely to change..? Happy days..! 

Looks like online is the lowest, but doing that gives me the willies as is traceable. In CM there is one shop that is reasonable but still high cost for what it should be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Let the market force decide the price factor.....

I think they want to make a killing, but it is still supply and who is demanding it. Stems and leaves at that price is ridisulous and would never sustain itself. The need to diversify inot other things the plant can do and make.

The article states anyone can grow a plant without permission, but is this really true? I was still under the impression one has to register even for their home and personal use. If the case is that then I will be having a small garden. Just love the way they look and smell when they bloom.

not sure about prices plummeting…maybe for stems and leafs.

Weed for smoking is still extremely overpriced, to multiples of what I pay in europe.

On top of that, the only worthy thing to smoke is an import….as local production is not only overpriced, but also weak as hell

5 hours ago, SanSaiSid said:

Grow a few plants! They’re allowed to grow 15 at a time. Enough for their own use and to sell it

4 hours ago, francoa said:

Weed for smoking is still extremely overpriced, to multiples of what I pay in europe.

On top of that, the only worthy thing to smoke is an import….as local production is not only overpriced, but also weak as hell

Of course the smokeable pot hasn’t dropped. It all about making money and you’re being fleeced. 

Good old Thai desire to make easy money. Of course there’s oversupply because every man and his dogs jumped on the bandwagon and the big growers are whinging about it. Well tough luck I say. They thought they were out to make a fortune. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, francoa said:

Thailand has the worst weed I have ever encountered, to the point I haven't even bothered to look for it in years, it is so bad

• Like 2

I'm bad enough on the drink never mind cannabis.

I do feel that it should be legalised everywhere though. Never met a guy who was stoned who wanted to cause trouble.

As for strength. Its probably a good thing that its not like skunk of some of those other products. Get a little high but not wasted.

Enjoy your evening. 

• Like 1

"We want the monopoly, and price fixing, so we don't have to compete by offering higher quality product!"

Asian Reaction GIF

Edited by Bill_Koomers
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The original farmers with government contracts have seen an 80% to 90% reduction in value of their crops

They currently have contracts to supply at a fixed price so the future value of their crops & contracts have plummeted. And perhaps rightly so - 15k for a kilo of leaf seems crazy expensive. Diversify by growing some opium or other “legal under license” drug. 

I don't even smoke, but it's a pleasure to see the market do it's thing. Gotta love it how every group thinks their profits should be protected, taxi drivers trying to end app-based rides is another that comes to mind. (though they did manage to cause some damage there - especially in Phuket where Grab is obscenely overpriced)