News Forum - Corrupt police chief’s 137 million baht fortune nabbed

Thaiger

A former deputy commissioner of Provincial Police Region 8 found guilty of fraudulent activity has had his 137 million baht fortune confiscated by Thailand’s Criminal Court for Corruption. Pol Lt Gen Somchai Nitayabowornkul was found guilty by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NAAC) on August 10 for having assets worth more than he could ever afford in relation to his rank and salary. The NAAC Secretary-General, Niwatchai Kasemmongkol, told a Thai press gathering yesterday that Pol Lt Gen Somchai was “unusually wealthy for his position” and the department had sufficient evidence to accuse him of amassing extraordinary wealth while serving as deputy […]

The story Corrupt police chief’s 137 million baht fortune nabbed as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Pol Lt Gen Somchai’s daughter owned an apartment at M Condo in Chatuchak district, Bangkok and a Mazda 2 car.

Mazda 2? What a greedy pap.

• Haha 1

"Pol Lt Gen Somchai, his wife Kesinee, and daughter Panisra were ordered to hand over purchasing and ownership documents in relation to their fortune of about 137 million baht to the Finance Ministry."

Okay.

Where's the part about all three of them going to jail? And, for how long?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Pol Lt Gen Somchai, his wife Kesinee, and daughter Panisra were ordered to hand over purchasing and ownership documents in relation to their fortune of about 137 million baht to the Finance Ministry."

Okay.

Where's the part about all three of them going to jail? And, for how long?

Jail? The harshest  Pol  general will be facing is to be transfered. And I bet his family has another 100 million hidden away, so I doubt theyll starve. Just another farce.

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

Historically, given the level of ongoing corruption in Thailand, I just wonder what it is that this particular general did at this point in time to make himself a target of an investigation. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Historically, given the level of ongoing corruption in Thailand, I just wonder what it is that this particular general did at this point in time to make himself a target of an investigation. 

I wouldve thought all pol generals in Thailand have a similar degree of "unusual wealth", I suppose this one  mustve stepped on someone's toes. 

• Like 6

Name a country that does not have corruption.  NONE, all the countries and at level there is corruption. It is some countries took the pledge to bring back some sanctity to the departments to restore the formal galore.  Thailand advertises and practices good vibes, this one is one of example, that needs a lot of courage to have such exposure and reporting. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

It is a "You scratch my back and I scratch yours" world. Only thing is the intensity of scratching as it goes sour when the scratching becomes painful and more itchy...ha..haa.😂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is a "You scratch my back and I scratch yours" world. Only thing is the intensity of scratching as it goes sour when the scratching becomes painful and more itchy...ha..haa.😂

Kept too much and didn't 'look after' those above him...

21 hours ago, kalyan said:

Name a country that does not have corruption.  NONE, all the countries and at level there is corruption. It is some countries took the pledge to bring back some sanctity to the departments to restore the formal galore.  Thailand advertises and practices good vibes, this one is one of example, that needs a lot of courage to have such exposure and reporting. 

And the message from this should be - SHOULD be - This is just scratching the surface... hold my beer...

22 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I wouldve thought all pol generals in Thailand have a similar degree of "unusual wealth", I suppose this one  mustve stepped on someone's toes. 

Obviously did not look after those higher... maybe a high-quality watch for someone in much higher position?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Time for a 'forensic investigation' of the entire gaggle of overly wealthy generals and others at the top end of town

• Like 2

So if this is a DEPUTY Commissioner, who is investigating the Commissioner? Ho many are going to be packing up and running scared because of this? Come to that, what is the net worth of Prayut? Where did HIS wealth come from? Same for the rest of the suspects...

• Like 1

House on my soi in a working-class moo baan is a "police" house but he was killed many years ago, struck by a vehicle a roadway checkpoint. The local hair salon cum gossip lady says he used to come home from work periodically  with a Leo box full of loose Baht bills.  Made it sound like each police station has its crew of "earners", taking a cut then the station boss passes X amount up the chain of command. The higher in rank/command you are = more stations and regions filtering money up through the system.

The unimpressive looking late 20s/early 30s obese son of this deceased cop was trying to get into the police academy, failed once apparently but after another year saw him in cadet training uniform, and I presume he made it as after 6-9 months, they were gone - house sits vacant.  He used to drive a nice but less expensive Mitsu SUV.  He comes around now and then to check on the house briefly in a very clean, large second hand Mercedes.  Last time he rocked up in a very clean, large model BMW - hadn't seen that one before.  Entry level RTP patrol cop seems like a good gig for the average Joe, if you can get it.

• Angry 1

The corruption in Thailand just makes me laugh.

In 2019 I had a house built next to Mae Phim Beach in Rayong.

I needed to get planning retrospectively so I slipped the local council office planning department 8k baht and I had everything I needed a few days later, corruption there is very handy sometimes. 

It would have taken nine months in the UK.

A corrupt policeman in Thailand! Wow who would have thought it. IF anyone was serious about investigating corruption in Thailand there would be hardly a policeman or public official NOT being caught. This guy is only in the poo because he did not keep those above him happy with a donation too.

• Like 1