Bikes without license plates and no lights at night

farangalso

Land transport worried about box sizes, really! How about motor bikes that are unseen at night due to no lights, or how about parked next to police station without number plates, helmets are required, where? Foreigner's are just as bad as the Thais. Thai people drive somewhat brain dead do foreigners have to also?

Not a fan of Motor bikes as an older brother and sister both had bone breaking accidents on them and put me off them for life. There are a lot of motor bikes in Bangkok and have to admit everyone i see is wearing a helmet, never noticed the number plate not been on them. Having no lights or very low density lights is a problem at nights especially when they also wear dark clothes.

19 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Not a fan of Motor bikes as an older brother and sister both had bone breaking accidents on them and put me off them for life. There are a lot of motor bikes in Bangkok and have to admit everyone i see is wearing a helmet, never noticed the number plate not been on them. Having no lights or very low density lights is a problem at nights especially when they also wear dark clothes.

And so many cars have full dark tint all round which severely impedes vision even in daylight!  In most countries NO tint is permitted on the windscreen and only max ~20% on front (driver/pass) side windows.

• Like 1

Years ago I asked the Q. "Why, in Hua Hin do youths fly round on motorbikes with no lights on? But more-so at weekends..?  The answer I got was (& btw this fact is true to some extent).. The boy-racers have taken out the alternator from their engines, thus gaining power due to the lack of magnetic 'drag'.. so they come out, with a fully charged battery, and buzz round on 'total loss', then slink home when power fades.  Lack of No. plates is an easy one to work out... Underage, no licence, tax, test, insurance...But fear not 'cos the powers-that-be are gonna crack down on the size of food delivery boxes.. so that makes the roads safe again!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:55 PM, KaptainRob said:

And so many cars have full dark tint all round which severely impedes vision even in daylight!  In most countries NO tint is permitted on the windscreen and only max ~20% on front (driver/pass) side windows.

My wife and I sometimes go round and round on this tint issue. On the car and truck, both only a couple years old, I put my foot down on the tint for front and side windows. Rear and back seat passenger windows I don’t care about. So we met in the second from the lightest tint even though she sort of disagrees. But we both agree that tint is mandatory for cutting the glare and heat rays down. Everything as in vehicles including our several bikes are in tip top shape. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 6:51 AM, HolyCowCm said:

My wife and I sometimes go round and round on this tint issue. On the car and truck, both only a couple years old, I put my foot down on the tint for front and side windows. Rear and back seat passenger windows I don’t care about. So we met in the second from the lightest tint even though she sort of disagrees. But we both agree that tint is mandatory for cutting the glare and heat rays down. Everything as in vehicles including our several bikes are in tip top shape. 

My SO's mom has a van that we use when we're in BKK. I get to drive. The tint on the side and back windows is thick enough to stop neutrinos. I couldn't see out the back window at noon. I mentioned this and within a day the rear window was almost tint-free. Then next trip... back to midnight-black. The Thais love them some tint.

People are just trying to get by.  It is not unusual to see an entire family on a little motorbike.  They cant afford a car and a motorbike is a great way to weave your way through congested traffic.  If you stop on a motorbike you are doing it wrong and will get cooked by the sun.  Motorbikes are very dangerous to drive in Bangkok and many people have battle scars, myself included.

Simply down to bad policing , the amount of all vehicles with a list of defects as long as your arm is alarming  but the police do next to nothing except shall we just say here [tea money ]. As an active motorcycle rider most of my life riding in thailand is an eye opener even with the best of riding you are never completely safe,thai's do not observe the simplest rules of safety ,in saying all that  riding a motorcycle  around pattaya rush hour is an experience that definitely keeps your heart pumping .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesE said:

The tint on the side and back windows is thick enough to stop neutrinos. I couldn't see out the back window at noon.

Yep. What's worse or more dangerous than a Thailand car full scale tinted and the driver playing with their mobile phone? Answer: Not much unless they are drunk.

• Like 1

After being in Thailand for multiple years, I'm no longer surprised  by anything.

Is this bad, most likely, but for me it's the only way I can live in this country without any headaches.

Everyone in here complaining about A,B,C,D,E,F or G... will himself go out at night (this can be as simple as going to a Restaurant) to afterwards enjoy a alcoholic beverage and resume to get home 'safely' (I hope). So instead of being frustrated/complaining about A,B,C,D,E,F,G... let us focus on ourselves first.