Uptick in Covid-19 in Isaan as workers flee Bangkok construction camps

Thaiger

With numerous workers fleeing to their home provinces to avoid Bangkok’s recent disease control restrictions sealing off construction camps for the next month, there has been an uptick in Covid-19 cases in other various provinces, particularly in the Isaan region. This week, 129 people in 32 provinces tested positive for the virus after travelling from Bangkok. 84 people tested positive for Covid-19 after travelling from Bangkok to provinces in the Northeast, according to Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration spokesperson Apisamai Srirangson.  The Northeast provinces include Si Sa Ket, Yasothon, Ubon Ratchathani, Maha Sarakham, Khon Kaen, Roi Et, Kalasin, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon […]

The post Uptick in Covid-19 in Isaan as workers flee Bangkok construction camps appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A somewhat misleading header. 

Thai's 'fleeing' Bangkok are largely those who can afford to get out of covid's way, and lockdown.  The number of BKK reg'd vehicles in Chiang Mai over the past week is quite apparent and yes, some have brought covid with them.  6 today I believe.

Thai factory workers and semi-skilled construction workers are obviously heading home to Isaan but the majority of Bkk's construction labour force come from Cambodia or Burma... many of whom can only stay put in those ramshackle corrugated iron and bamboo camps we're accustomed to seeing.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

9 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

A somewhat misleading header. 

Thai's 'fleeing' Bangkok are largely those who can afford to get out of covid's way, and lockdown.  The number of BKK reg'd vehicles in Chiang Mai over the past week is quite apparent and yes, some have brought covid with them.  6 today I believe.

Thai factory workers and semi-skilled construction workers are obviously heading home to Isaan but the majority of Bkk's construction labour force come from Cambodia or Burma... many of whom can only stay put in those ramshackle corrugated iron and bamboo camps we're accustomed to seeing.

To lock people into iron cages at that heat is unbelievable. 

Looks like CCSA got it right - the 4th wave is starting - spread by people from Bangkok/Chon Buri just like Songkran. This is going the wrong way completely.  

• Like 3

Exactly AussieBob. It's what the government feared and why the they didn't want to do a complete shut down. Problem the limited shut down they did do still effected those most likely to return home. Those at the very bottom of the economic ladder and the least likely to afford to stay and ride it out. It was predictable the moment they announced the partial lockdown. At this point we can only hope for the best. 

• Like 1

I took my wife's granddaughter to chantaburi today we went through 3 check points but was never stopped. When I was returning 1 of them was shut down this was probably about 3 pm the other 2 places still wasn't stopping anyone 

• Like 1

law of unintended consequences.  attempt to lock people in bangkok to reduce spread...they flee to Isaan and increase the spread.  Save a couple old folks with ALS from dying from covid.... increase suicides in healthy young adults.

This is something Thai leaders didn't learn from their Chinese rulers...don't announce you WILL have a lockdown, just do it.  Immediately.

When the virus was largely concentrated in Wuhan and Hebei Province, the local government announced there would be a lockdown beginning at midnight.

Between the time of the announcement, and midnight, more than 5 million people managed to escape Wuhan, beginning the first real spread of the disease.

I sympathize with those that have to endure such terrible conditions in order to provide for their families...but allowing them to "escape", has put the entire society in danger.

• Like 1

if you were going to isolate me i would also try to escape also. lock down then announce it. The authorities dont realize they have no authority. Another bad call from the government. I hate to say many thai people have no respect or concern especially for others.