Phuket reopens but botched preparation limits travellers

Thaiger

15 minutes ago, MikeB said:

That is one of the reasons that to get into Thailand you must have specific Covid insurance 

MikeB. Yes I’m aware of the $100,000 Covid insurance etc. However the point you made regarding hospitalisation is a tricky one. It’s worth checking the small print of your policy. The overall policy may well satisfy the Embassy to get your CoE, however would a bill to your insurer of 200,000 baht be so welcome? Would they question why you had to go to such an expensive place when you were not even sick? Will they try to squirm out of payment? Possibly not if you had no choice and was instructed to go by Thai authorities. It’s certainly a specific question I will be asking my insurer prior to travel. A document I’ve seen from AXA regarding paying bills states: “should you require hospital treatment….”  The key word here being require. I guess if that’s required by law then it will be paid. If it’s require treatment as defined by the WHO then no? 

Anyway, it’s a very interesting point you raise regarding infection by touring around and mixing with unvaccinated people rather than isolated in a hotel room. When I return, and if I take Phuket style option (certainly not the current model!), then I will try to isolate as best I can while still getting out in the fresh air and enjoying the warm weather. Maybe just as well the bars are closed!! 

Edited by Soidog
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Would they question why you had to go to such an expensive place when you were not even sick? Will they try to squirm out of payment?

They are an insurance company so yes they will try to get out of paying because that is what they all do 

I have been looking at my normal travel insurance and it has unlimited hospital costs covered with a $250AU excess to pay but i don't know if this would be adequate for the COE 

3 hours ago, MikeB said:

But with both vaccinations you may get the virus but it is highly unlikely that you will need ICU or even medical treatment 

Yep - probably not - but holiday definitely ruined either way. 

2 hours ago, MikeB said:

They are an insurance company so yes they will try to get out of paying because that is what they all do 

I have been looking at my normal travel insurance and it has unlimited hospital costs covered with a $250AU excess to pay but i don't know if this would be adequate for the COE 

Probably not Mike.  The insurance needed is for hospitel (asq quarantine) of 'field hospital' type coverage when you are not sick - at the direction of the Thai Govt.  And you will have to pay - and then claim reimbursement - good luck with that, especially getting any 'proof' needed.