PM orders 1,500 extra field hospital beds as infections surge in central Thailand

Thaiger

The Thai PM, Prayut Chan-o-cha, has ordered an additional 1,500 beds for a field hospital in the central province of Nonthaburi. According to a Nation Thailand report, the beds are to accommodate patients in the red and yellow groups at the Bussarakham Field Hospital. Red group patients are those who have severe symptoms and are in need of respirators. Yellow group patients are those with moderate symptoms but with underlying conditions, meaning they need to be carefully monitored. The Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul has confirmed the order of extra beds to boost capacity at the field hospital. “Of the […]

The post PM orders 1,500 extra field hospital beds as infections surge in central Thailand appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This field hospitals are the best way to come in with a alpha variant and go out with a delta. I wondering about the Thai virologists, because they should know there are many variants now and to create new mutations it is the best way to put thousands of infected bed at bed together in a big closed hall. I think all virologist in the world will be scared about what happen in Thailand.

• Angry 1

Just now, Stardust said:

This field hospitals are the best way to come in with a alpha variant and go out with a delta. I wondering about the Thai virologists, because they should know there are many variants now and to create new mutations it is the best way to put thousands of infected bed at bed together in a big closed hall. I think all virologist in the world will be scared about what happen in Thailand.

Creating a tsunami of new variants by field hospitals.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Oh, cheer up, Stardust! Things will get better . . . eventually!

Not disagreeing at all, but there is a natural evolution of viruses that these hospitels might well accellerate, but which in the end might be a good thing.  The reason I say that is because the natural evolution of a virus is to become less deadly and more contagious - it is not a sucessful strategy to kill all possible hosts. Over billions of years what viruses have done is to develop a higher contagion level and lower their death rates so that they can survive. There are exceptions like Ebola MERS SARS etc., but as with all such extremely 'toxic' viruses, they quickly 'dissapate' and then re-appear now and then. Covid19 in its original form was much more contagious than Ebola or MERS or SARS, but the concern was that it was as deadly as either MERS or SARS (CFR of 12-30%). This has not since happened, but it does have a CFR of 2% overall (higher in older people) which is 4-5 times that of Influenza A or B viruses. But the latest studies about the Deltra variant is that although more contagious, it is not causing the same levels of medical complications - early days though. This is how the vast majority of viruses develop and survive - less complications for the host, but more contagious to the next host - infect, replicate (mutate) and infect a new host.  Their end game is to become like corona viruses in bats - natural and accepted and causing no issues to the hosts. It is not 'natural' for viruses to be infectious to all other life forms, but obviously it happens sometimes that they 'jump' from one species to another, and then sometimes over to humans. It was extremely rare for coronavirus which is prevalent in bats to 'jump' to humans, but SARS came via a Pangolin and MERS via a dromaderry camel. They are still looking for the intermediate animal for Covid19.  Covid19 is proving to be 'smarter' than SARS or MERS, and it is likely to become less deadly and more contagious over time.  In a few years it will probably be included in the annual 'flu' vaccines - like H1N1 is today (swine flu). 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

43 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Oh, cheer up, Stardust! Things will get better . . . eventually!

I wondering  where the Thai doctors are now to warn? And the WHO should be warned too if they create on that way more variants.

• Cool 1

14 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Not disagreeing at all, but there is a natural evolution of viruses that these hospitels might well accellerate, but which in the end might be a good thing.  The reason I say that is because the natural evolution of a virus is to become less deadly and more contagious - it is not a sucessful strategy to kill all possible hosts. Over billions of years what viruses have done is to develop a higher contagion level and lower their death rates so that they can survive. There are exceptions like Ebola MERS SARS etc., but as with all such extremely 'toxic' viruses, they quickly 'dissapate' and then re-appear now and then. Covid19 in its original form was much more contagious than Ebola or MERS or SARS, but the concern was that it was as deadly as either MERS or SARS (CFR of 12-30%). This has not since happened, but it does have a CFR of 2% overall (higher in older people) which is 4-5 times that of Influenza A or B viruses. But the latest studies about the Deltra variant is that although more contagious, it is not causing the same levels of medical complications - early days though. This is how the vast majority of viruses develop and survive - less complications for the host, but more contagious to the next host - infect, replicate (mutate) and infect a new host.  Their end game is to become like corona viruses in bats - natural and accepted and causing no issues to the hosts. It is not 'natural' for viruses to be infectious to all other life forms, but obviously it happens sometimes that they 'jump' from one species to another, and then sometimes over to humans. It was extremely rare for coronavirus which is prevalent in bats to 'jump' to humans, but SARS came via a Pangolin and MERS via a dromaderry camel. They are still looking for the intermediate animal for Covid19.  Covid19 is proving to be 'smarter' than SARS or MERS, and it is likely to become less deadly and more contagious over time.  In a few years it will probably be included in the annual 'flu' vaccines - like H1N1 is today (swine flu). 

But actually they say the delta is more dangereous, that means the opposite. Maybe with covid there is no natural way because it came from a lab and is designed. At the moment this possibility is on the table at sciencetists. So it is not clear yet what will happen.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

8 minutes ago, Stardust said:

But actually they say the delta is more dangereous, that means the opposite. Maybe with covid there is no natural way because it came from a lab and is designed. At the moment this possibility is on the table at sciencetists. So it is not clear yet what will happen.

They are saying it is more dangerous because it is more contagious - that is clear. But there is no serious evidence that it is as deadly as the original versions. A brief study in UK that showed it had a death rate of only 0.1% in 90K+ patients diagnosed with that variant. But that could be because of the number of people vaccinated, or it could be because the mutation is less deadly, or it could be that the study was done all wrong.  In terms of epidemiology, viruses survive long term by becomming less deadly, not more deadly - it is their natural evolution. Otherwise Ebola, MERS and SARS (1) and oyther deadly viruses would have infected everyone and killed billions by now if not us all. The politicians and public servants are saying it is more 'dangerous' because it is more contagious - in my view something is more dangerous because, well, it is more dangerous  - meaning more likely to cause serious injury or death.  But their focus is on stopping new cases, irrespective of the varaiant, and in that sense it is more of a problem.  But there is no evidence to show it is more dangerous (medically), and epidemiologists that study viruses state that their natural development is to become less deadly and more contagious (if they can).  Just my opinions - could be right - could be wrong. If you know someone with delta I dont suggest you test things - as I have said, time will tell.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stardust said:

With regards to your point about being 'designed' and therefore that it escaped from a lab or whatever, time will also tell about that hypothesis. And it is just that at this time - an hypothesis.  That they still cannot ascertain the intermediate animal host from bats to humans is a concern.  On three levels.  1. That is because it was 'made'.  2.  It jumped straight from bats to humans.  3. That will slow down the development of vaccines/cures etc. 

Number 2 is extremely unlikely - epidemiologists are all saying that is not possible - but so was walking on the moon 100+ years ago.  Number 3 is a worry - thay have SARS and MERS 'covered' but they need the intermediate to learn how it did the 'jump' so they can do the research.  Number 1 is unlikely, but it is far more likely than numbner 2.    Either way it goes - it will take time, but it will all be answered - this thing is too big to keep under the carpet forever.  

In the meantime - get vaccinated and keep away from other people - especially if you are over 50/60.  If someone coughs near you, tell them to far cough away from you. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

They are saying it is more dangerous because it is more contagious - that is clear. But there is no serious evidence that it is as deadly as the original versions. A brief study in UK that showed it had a death rate of only 0.1% in 90K+ patients diagnosed with that variant. But that could be because of the number of people vaccinated, or it could be because the mutation is less deadly, or it could be that the study was done all wrong.  In terms of epidemiology, viruses survive long term by becomming less deadly, not more deadly - it is their natural evolution. Otherwise Ebola, MERS and SARS (1) and oyther deadly viruses would have infected everyone and killed billions by now if not us all. The politicians and public servants are saying it is more 'dangerous' because it is more contagious - in my view something is more dangerous because, well, it is more dangerous  - meaning more likely to cause serious injury or death.  But their focus is on stopping new cases, irrespective of the varaiant, and in that sense it is more of a problem.  But there is no evidence to show it is more dangerous (medically), and epidemiologists that study viruses state that their natural development is to become less deadly and more contagious (if they can).  Just my opinions - could be right - could be wrong. If you know someone with delta I dont suggest you test things - as I have said, time will tell.  

Yes you are right time will tell . Anyway they should change to qurantine at home because it is never good to put so many people bed at bed in closed facilities. It is the perfect way to spread everything between them around. And I wondering whos idea this was because you dont have to be doctor to know that. But as we experinced in a daily basis there is no logic, common sense and competence at the moment in managing the country.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Yes you are right time will tell . Anyway they should change to qurantine at home because it is never good to put so many people bed at bed in closed facilities. It is the perfect way to spread everything between them around. And I wondering whos idea this was because you dont have to be doctor to know that. But as we experinced in a daily basis there is no logic, common sense and competence at the moment in managing the country.

Absolutely true - here in Aust if you test positive you have to self quarantine at home - severe penalties if you dont. Only those with bad symptoms go into hospital care - that is for the sick - not for the asymptomatic positives. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

With regards to your point about being 'designed' and therefore that it escaped from a lab or whatever, time will also tell about that hypothesis. And it is just that at this time - an hypothesis.  That they still cannot ascertain the intermediate animal host from bats to humans is a concern.  On three levels.  1. That is because it was 'made'.  2.  It jumped straight from bats to humans.  3. That will slow down the development of vaccines/cures etc. 

Number 2 is extremely unlikely - epidemiologists are all saying that is not possible - but so was walking on the moon 100+ years ago.  Number 3 is a worry - thay have SARS and MERS 'covered' but they need the intermediate to learn how it did the 'jump' so they can do the research.  Number 1 is unlikely, but it is far more likely than numbner 2.    Either way it goes - it will take time, but it will all be answered - this thing is too big to keep under the carpet forever.  

In the meantime - get vaccinated and keep away from other people - especially if you are over 50/60.  If someone coughs near you, tell them to far cough away from you. 

To get vaccinated with a proper vaccine is actually not an easy task and it is with the same answer "time will tell" :)

None of the countries that have managed Covid most successfully by any measure (cases, hospitalisations, deaths, etc) have allowed those testing positive to quarantine at home*, and all have put those testing positive (and in some countries their close contacts even if they test negative) in some form of state managed quarantine (hospitals, hospitels, field hospitals, hostels, apartments, barracks).

All of those countries that have managed Covid least successfully by any measure have allowed home quarantine.

None vs all.

That should tell most people with a bit of common sense and logic, even if they're not doctors, that home quarantine doesn't work.

*: except in NZ and some Aus states / territories where the numbers have been very low - single figures - and they've met strict criteria checked on a case by case basis, which very, very few in Thailand would.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

None of the countries that have managed Covid most successfully by any measure (cases, hospitalisations, deaths, etc) have allowed those testing positive to quarantine at home*, and all have put those testing positive (and in some countries their close contacts even if they test negative) in some form of state managed quarantine (hospitals, hospitels, field hospitals, hostels, apartments, barracks).

All of those countries that have managed Covid least successfully by any measure have allowed home quarantine.

None vs all.

That should tell most people with a bit of common sense and logic, even if they're not doctors, that home quarantine doesn't work.

*: except in NZ and some Aus states / territories where the numbers have been very low - single figures - and they've met strict criteria checked on a case by case basis, which very, very few in Thailand would.

Nonsense what you are talking and against every science and what virologists say. 

27 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Absolutely true - here in Aust if you test positive you have to self quarantine at home - severe penalties if you

Very few here would meet the Aus requirements for isolation or quarantine and given the numbers now it's simply not possible to monitor and test as is done in NZ and Aus. It's comparing apples and oranges.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Very few here would meet the Aus requirements for isolation or quarantine and given the numbers now it's simply not possible to monitor and test as is done in NZ and Aus. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Too late now I agree. But if this was the polciy day 1, and they strictly copnttrolled illegal workers, and they banned travel over songkran, and they did things right - then it was the right strategy and has worked. Remember, prior to songkran Thailand has less cases and deaths than Australia.  It all went 'breasts up' during Songkran. 

9 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Nonsense what you are talking and against every science and what virologists say.

Somehow I thought you'd say that.

Instead of claim and counter-claim, since you say I'm talking "nonsense", name any country that has managed Covid successfully that hasn't had mandatory isolation or  quarantine in a state facility, apart from Aus and NZ where numbers are minimal.

Any at all.

Alternatively, name any country that hasn't managed Covid successfully that has had mandatory isolation or quarantine in a state facility.

Any at all.

For my part, examples of the former are mostly in SEA: Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

Examples of the latter are the US, UK, India, most of the EU and most of south America.

Over to you - any countries at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Too late now I agree. But if this was the polciy day 1, and they strictly copnttrolled illegal workers, and they banned travel over songkran, and they did things right - then it was the right strategy and has worked. Remember, prior to songkran Thailand has less cases and deaths than Australia.  It all went 'breasts up' during Songkran. 

Agreed - it works as long as you can keep to numbers that you can handle, whether it's monitoring single figures at home in Aus or NZ or a few hundred in state quarantine in Thailand.

It's like a rabid dog - keep it caged and there's no problem, let it loose and soon you need a lot more cages.

I'll be interested to see what countries @Stardust comes up with ?.

6 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Just need to ask Chinese for help, they seem to build hospitals much faster than bullet trains to Pattaya

There are actually plenty of suitable buildings, even if they're not all in the right place, as all the conference centres are still technically "open", they're just not allowed to host conferences.

The problem almost certainly isn't the buildings but equipping, furnishing and staffing them as the UK learnt with the Nightingale hospitals.  Set up in quick time but totally useless as there wasn't enough equipment or staff so it was just robbing Peter to pay Paul and they were never any use.

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Somehow I thought you'd say that.

Instead of claim and counter-claim, since you say I'm talking "nonsense", name any country that has managed Covid successfully that hasn't had mandatory isolation or  quarantine in a state facility, apart from Aus and NZ where numbers are minimal.

Any at all.

Alternatively, name any country that hasn't managed Covid successfully that has had mandatory isolation or quarantine in a state facility.

Any at all.

For my part, examples of the former are mostly in SEA: Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

Examples of the latter are the US, UK, India, most of the EU and most of south America.

Over to you - any countries at all.

Yesterday you spreading false infos too about visas and healthinsurance in eu, even you showed you have no knowledge about laws and titles to stay and rights in the eu. You asked aussie bob if he knows how hard it is to get a retirementvisa in the eu and even such thing doesnt exist in Germany because our visa system is complete different to Thailand. We only visas for entering , visists or tourists. Title for living in Germany is not over embassies or visas it is over the offices in Germany and then get a title for your passport ( Aufenthaltstitel), if you want to stay permantly and over 6 month. You spreading false informations like they ate facts and by law and also you claim Thais who live or work have no access to the healthcaresystem in germany . This is a absolute lie because every foreigner/Thai who work in Germany get a health insurance and social security insurance and it is by the law!. You are a liar and spread false infos in a way like they are facts and by the law! Your wrong claims I followed many times now and reminds me of Issan John maybe it is you and you only changed your name.

Yesterday you spreading false infos too about visas and healthinsurance in eu, even you showed you have no knowledge about laws and titles to stay and rights in the eu. You asked aussie bob if he knows how hard it is to get a retirementvisa in the eu and even such thing doesnt exist in Germany because our visa system is complete different to Thailand. We only visas for entering , visists or tourists. Title for living in Germany is not over embassies or visas it is over the offices in Germany and then get a title for your passport ( Aufenthaltstitel), if you want to stay permantly and over 6 month. You spreading false informations like they ate facts and by law and also you claim Thais who live or work have no access to the healthcaresystem in germany . This is a absolute lie because every foreigner/Thai who work in Germany get a health insurance and social security insurance and it is by the law!. You are a liar and spread false infos in a way like they are facts and by the law! Your wrong claims I followed many times now and reminds me of Issan John maybe it is you and you only changed your name.

No I didn't. I never said any of that or anything remotely like it.  None of it - none at all!

Feel free to name any of those countries you say I'm talking nonsense about in this thread, which is on field hospitals.

Any countries at all.  Any at all. 

Just to save @King Cotton the trouble, it may be worth a reminder that the heading under the Topic Title says: 'REPLY  TO  THIS  TOPIC' not 'have a free for all squabble about anything you fancy'.

52 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No I didn't. I never said any of that or anything remotely like it.  None of it - none at all!

Feel free to name any of those countries you say I'm talking nonsense about in this thread, which is on field hospitals.

Any countries at all.  Any at all. 

All your false infos and claims are still there " quotes you made to Toby Andrews and Aussie bob". It is just nonsense too that it is good infected asymptomatic people bed at bed in closed hall all together when there are many variants. Tell me one virology expert or health expert who would advice that. It is against every logic !