Driving License required for Student in Bangkok

So i got the following problem

I am an exchange student from Germany and currently studying in Bangkok for 1 Semester (6months).My plan is to rent a bike and tour Thailand. Thats why I wanted to do my motorcycle driving license in Thailand. ( For further information i got no motorcycle license in Germany), (And yeah i know i could just rent a bike and nobody would care. but i want to do it in the legal way). So i went to the Land of transportation and asked about which documents i need to apply and they told me :

Proof of Residence, Visa ( i got a Non-immigrant ED type Visa for now valid for 90 days ), Health certificate ( easy to get in a lot of clinics) and copy of the documents.

So the only missing Document was the PROOF OF RESIDENCE.

So i called the German Embassy first and asked if they could provide me that kind of document : they told me that they are not in charge of Documents needed for the Government in Thailand , so they send me to the immigration bureau . 

I went to the immigration bureau and they told me that i need a at least 1 year valid visa to get the proof of residence.

My question is : Does anybody know an easy way of getting to that document no matter if it would cost me a little more.Or maybe someone knows somebody who is in charge of these stuff. Otherwise what do you guys think of politely asking the Land of transportation again with something stuck between my passport if they do an exception. I know its unethical and bla but i am really helpless right now 

Hi Baller and welcome to the forum.

Sticky topic here may help https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/3245-applying-for-a-thai-driving-licence/#comment-25768

Proof of residence starts with a copy of your landlords Tabien Baan and ID card and filing a TM30 with your local Immigration office. You can then request a residence certificate from Immigration.

6 hours ago, Baller said:

I went to the immigration bureau and they told me that i need a at least 1 year valid visa to get the proof of residence.

Bangkok Immigration will only issue this certificate if you have permission of stay for 1 year and submitted your first 90-day report. It's a quirky local requirement that other Immigration offices don't have. In your case, you apply to extend your stay every 3 months on an ED Visa, therefore you never submit a 90-day report.

Ask your local DLT office if under the situation they will accept signed copies of your landlords Tabien Baan and ID card as proof of residence.

Yeah thats the problem with the immigration bureau . I am "just" staying for 6 months thats why i wont be able to have the 1 year visa. So i will try to call the DLT Office if its possible that they just accept the signed copies of Tabien Baan with Id card as a proof of residence right?

Do you also have knowledge about how it is in other cities like in Chiang Mai? Is it easier there to get such a proof of residence ?

7 hours ago, Baller said:

Do you also have knowledge about how it is in other cities like in Chiang Mai? Is it easier there to get such a proof of residence ?

I wouldn't know about the license aspect but CM had, by far, the most police road checks around the city out of any I had seen in Thailand

9 hours ago, Baller said:

Yeah thats the problem with the immigration bureau . I am "just" staying for 6 months thats why i wont be able to have the 1 year visa. So i will try to call the DLT Office if its possible that they just accept the signed copies of Tabien Baan with Id card as a proof of residence right?

Just an idea, but you could try to get the university involved.

It might be enough for the DL department, if the university gives you some proof of enrollment.

They may accept that as a equal to a work permit. That plus a very kind local person, to talk them into it ....?

21 hours ago, Baller said:

So i got the following problem

I am an exchange student from Germany and currently studying in Bangkok for 1 Semester (6months).My plan is to rent a bike and tour Thailand. Thats why I wanted to do my motorcycle driving license in Thailand. ( For further information i got no motorcycle license in Germany), (And yeah i know i could just rent a bike and nobody would care. but i want to do it in the legal way). So i went to the Land of transportation and asked about which documents i need to apply and they told me :

Proof of Residence, Visa ( i got a Non-immigrant ED type Visa for now valid for 90 days ), Health certificate ( easy to get in a lot of clinics) and copy of the documents.

So the only missing Document was the PROOF OF RESIDENCE.

So i called the German Embassy first and asked if they could provide me that kind of document : they told me that they are not in charge of Documents needed for the Government in Thailand , so they send me to the immigration bureau . 

My question is : Does anybody know an easy way of getting to that document no matter if it would cost me a little more.Or maybe someone knows somebody who is in charge of these stuff. Otherwise what do you guys think of politely asking the Land of transportation again with something stuck between my passport if they do an exception. I know its unethical and bla but i am really helpless right now 

It would be wise to obtain the international driving permit , in your county,seeing that you only plan on staying 6 months.

An International Driving Permit lasts for 12 months. Your IDP will no longer be valid if your regular driver’s license will expire first. It means that an International Driving Permit is valid only together with your driver’s license.“ 

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-an-international-driving-permit-in-thailand/

6 hours ago, riclag said:

It would be wise to obtain the international driving permit , in your county,seeing that you only plan on staying 6 months.

To obtain an IDP you must have a regular driving licence.
The OP doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Just an idea, but you could try to get the university involved.

It might be enough for the DL department, if the university gives you some proof of enrollment.

They may accept that as a equal to a work permit. That plus a very kind local person, to talk them into it ....?

That’s actually a very good idea .

i already have an enrollment certificate from my university.

i think I will just go there again and try my luck 

27 minutes ago, Baller said:

That’s actually a very good idea .

Actually it's not!
Does your enrolment certificate have your address registered at Immigration on it, which is what the DLT require for your licence - assuming you pass the test.

In view of the fact Bangkok Immigration won't issue you a residence certificate, the next best option is copies of your landlords Tabien Baan and ID + your TM30 receipt stamped and signed by Immigration with your registered address on it.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:36 AM, riclag said:

An International Driving Permit lasts for 12 months. Your IDP will no longer be valid if your regular driver’s license will expire first. It means that an International Driving Permit is valid only together with your driver’s license.“ 

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-an-international-driving-permit-in-thailand/

but he "got no motorcycle license in Germany"  seems silly to expect to get one here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Notice he made no reply,? I would wager a bet he is driving around without a license, and if involved in an accident will then claim "Thai drivers are dangerous"😁

• Like 1