Nightlife, restaurants suggest opening in defiance of restrictions

Thaiger

After a year and a half of closures and lockdowns and restrictions and regulations that often start and even end with the nightlife and entertainment industry, some bar and restaurant owners are sick of it and growing defiant. Citing the lack of government assistance and the sporadic and last-minute closure decisions that through livelihoods into chaos, some owners are urging rebellion and reopening. Nightlife businesses like clubs, bars, and entertainment venues have been especially hard hit since the first action to curb Covid-19 outbreaks has usually been restrictions on alcohol and nightlife. And though restaurants have benefitted from some food […]

The post Nightlife, restaurants suggest opening in defiance of restrictions appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

" for those who are confronted by police to call for financial assistance like construction workers" - say what? 

I think he probably means the government meeting 50% of their salaries, as they've said they will with seal'n'bubbled construction workers.

Quite how the police are expected to respond to that, God only knows.

• Like 1

Like everyone here, the concern is for the average hard working Thai who is suffering. One thing that isn’t clear is how recent unemployment figures in tourism align with official unemployment figures issued by the government. I’m sure only a few days ago I saw a figure of 2.5%. However, with approximately 56 million Thais of working age, and a stated 2 million out of work in the tourism industry alone, how can it be 2%? 2 million is 3.5% and that doesn’t take in to account the many more that are suffering who run restaurants and bars etc not directly associated with tourism. I guess another mystery similar to why the Baht remains relatively strong!  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Like everyone here, the concern is for the average hard working Thai who is suffering. One thing that isn’t clear is how recent unemployment figures in tourism align with official unemployment figures issued by the government. I’m sure only a few days ago I saw a figure of 2.5%. However, with approximately 56 million Thais of working age, and a stated 2 million out of work in the tourism industry alone, how can it be 2%? 2 million is 3.5% and that doesn’t take in to account the many more that are suffering who run restaurants and bars etc not directly associated with tourism. I guess another mystery similar to why the Baht remains relatively strong!  

Well pre C19 the unemployment figures where only around 1-1.5%,  which also can't be true.

The reason behind that is; to receive an unemployment benefit check in Thailand [thereby be apart of the official macro data] a person needs to be employed by a company that monthly contributes to the Social Security Fund. As a large portion of the Thai workers aren't, their unemployment isn't counted for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 2

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Many valid points, here, for sure, especially those relating to 'the average hard working Thai who is suffering'. An excellent debut post, too and thanks for that.

Hello, Soidog and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

4 hours ago, Sandbar said:

You can only tie up a dog for so long before it turns on you and "bites back"!

A short, sweet but very much on-point debut post . . . thanks for that!

Hello, Sandbar and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

If I knew of any restaurants breaking the pseudo-lockdown, I would happily go there and eat to support them. The lockdowns are ridiculous and not needed. Everything should be open, and if some  people are scared of the Delta, Echo, Foxtrot etc variants, then they just stay home in prison, wearing masks, shower caps and whatever their obsession dictates.

1 hour ago, ThomasG said:

The lockdowns are ridiculous and not needed. Everything should be open, and if some  people are scared of the Delta, Echo, Foxtrot etc variants, then they just stay home in prison, wearing masks, shower caps and whatever their obsession dictates.

It's because of people like you who put themselves above the community that lockdowns are needed to protect those who can't protect themselves.

If everyone put the community first, then lockdowns wouldn't be needed - you're to blame for them, not those who are "scared".

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

The gov can go f themselves. Restrictions are killing people and small businesses. Lockdowns only produce one thing and that is high suicide rates. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

I have a business here and it’s booming. We hiring as well. Its not all doom and gloom here. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's because of people like you who put themselves above the community that lockdowns are needed to protect those who can't protect themselves.

If everyone put the community first, then lockdowns wouldn't be needed - you're to blame for them, not those who are "scared".

What ThomasG is to blame for lockdowns, and all the time I thought it was PM Prayut. ThomasG, what have you to say for yourself?

• Like 1

This is just someone blowing off steam in selfish frustration.  BUT if ANYONE does not believe judgement is impaired by drinking alcohol they must already be under the influence.  If service of alcohol was allowed in public venues we would all be at much higher risk, as would the average Thai worker at those venues who work for sh.. salaries and take risks of infections not only themselves, - but also their families.  I am a heavy drinker I have missed the camaradarie of my local bar, but am happy to know they are all safe and can still get their tipple - safely at home....

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, RWD said:

This is just someone blowing off steam in selfish frustration.  BUT if ANYONE does not believe judgement is impaired by drinking alcohol they must already be under the influence.  If service of alcohol was allowed in public venues we would all be at much higher risk, as would the average Thai worker at those venues who work for sh.. salaries and take risks of infections not only themselves, - but also their families.  I am a heavy drinker I have missed the camaradarie of my local bar, but am happy to know they are all safe and can still get their tipple - safely at home....

The problem in Thailand is much much worse than in the west. Thais, once they have had a few drinks go completely ga ga and they will often throw all good sense out the window - and it doesnt take a lot for most of them.  If you can imagine what it would be like if a bunch of 18-20s got together and started drinking in the west, then in Thailand you are talking 16-40s. That is why they crack down so hard - Thais 'party' too much when alcohol is involved. Just look at the road toll as one example. So while in the west the vast majority can have a drink or two and still behave/think rationally, that is not the case in Thailand. It is what makes the place so great for young people to visit (and us oldies too), but in the midst of a growing pandemic sweeping the country and the 4th wave being predicted by CCSA, they need to take action. 

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

That's so sweet. Lockdowns aren't needed at all. Governments are ordered to impose lockdowns and restrictions on the communities. It has been proved over and over again, that lockdowns and masks don't work. "2 weeks of lockdown, just to flatten the curve" has turned into 16 months of lockdowns and restrictions. 

It's because of "obedient" people like you, that the lockdowns and restrictions will continue forever. If anybody still thinks this whole situation is about "public health", then you have washed your brain more than your hands the past 16 months. 

To those who deny the effectiveness of bars and restaurants locking down,   I suspect you tend toward conspiracy theory as a valid model of thought processing, factual perception and validfation.  You have a right to your views simply because people who think clearly and rationally with valid evidence have gone before you and fought for those rights whilst  the conspirathy theorists, and ostriches continue to believe they were born with certain rights.  Earn your rights before claiming what others have fought for.