News Forum - Why plant-based foods are the superior diet ft. Root the Future | Thaiger Podcast Ep.3

Thaiger

https://youtu.be/b86Hl1TcrdQ Joanna and Max, Founders of Root the future, Thailand’s largest plant-based and sustainable community. They’re on a mission to raise awareness about sustainability and plant-based foods through various community-building activities and charity runs, Shining light on environmental issues and providing a platform for many sustainable living establishments to make an impact in Thailand.

The story Why plant-based foods are the superior diet ft. Root the Future | Thaiger Podcast Ep.3 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

kind of a leading headline - a lot of plant based diets are based on heavily processed plant protiens - this can turn a natural food source that the body can digest easily (i.e. has evolved to digest) into something the body and liver can not process as eaily - this then leads to all the usual complications of heavily processed foods. If the liver is busy trying to digest an un natural processed food it cant digest the fat in your diet.

Is a "good" plant based diet better than a "bad" omniverous diet? Possibly but the jury is still out on long term health when eating processed plant proteins. As for many of the new plant "meats",  if you actually look at how they are made its hard to imagine something further from what 200,000 years of evolution had designed us to eat.

• Like 6

As far as I’m aware plant based meat is high in salt. Aside from that, it is a viable alternative for those who like the texture of meat but for ethical reasons abstain from eating meat. Lab based meat has attracted a great deal of investment money in recent years, but there are grave doubts lab based meats can upscale to the level to seriously compete with conventional meat products.

its not just the salt - a lot of these products are so highly processed that they are not great for the whole digestive system - and then there is the whole sustainability thing. I know in the UK proponents of  veg based diet have been about the methane out put of live stock. The blind spot seems to be that before we wiped out most wildlife there were millions more methane prodocing herds of wild animals and the methane was not an issue. Infacts its been part of the whole biosphere. I get if you dont want to eat meat for personal reason but I do object to enviromental argument and the blind acceptance of it by some.

If you look geographically, winter in northern area's, no greens/fruits to found during that time in nature. But these area's tend to have (bigger) walking protein sources which were (and are) hunted as a food source in winter time.

In tropical area's, greens and fruits often can be found whole year round.

So it seems to me, that nature teaches us, what to eat where.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LuckyStrike said:

We have canine teeth for a reason.

Pandas and gorillas have much larger canine teeth than humans and yet their diets are almost 100% plants.

One thing I don't get it with western vegans are their obsession with making meat or something that looks/taste/feel like meat with plants. Can't they just be vegetarians like how Asians do it? If you want plant based proteins just eat the tofus and beancurds and stop drying to make it look like meat with plant-based "blood" oozing out.

See what shaolin monks eat and see how fit they are:

main-qimg-fcf015b4cb439e61e85ec263307388ac-lq.jpg.f63d1b27a65da3967b0aae8244202fec.jpg

My niece was a vegan in her late teens and 20s.  Ticked the boxes as a self-styled modern Hippie moon-beam wannabe, "super" passionate about Bernie Sanders (of course), a vocal feminist prone to virtue signaling on Facebook and being "super" angry about.....whatever the rest of her ilk are told to be angry about that week.  My impression is the vegans are extremists and likely hold other extreme views, which they rely on as key parts of their  identity.   

Now she's married,  to a guy who dresses like a pioneer on a wild west frontier wagon train, wears a firearm on his hip all the time - I suppose to defend against sudden attack from the native Indians.  He hunts bunny rabbits with a bow and arrow and eats them, as well as any other meat product.  And now she does all that as well, no longer a vegan.  Just like that. 

6-months from now?  Who knows....😄

• Like 2

I once ordered Beyond Belief Chilli Burgers.

The only thing that was beyond belief was how anyone can eat the stuff.

Even my dog wouldn't touch them.

16 hours ago, justjay365 said:

its not just the salt - a lot of these products are so highly processed that they are not great for the whole digestive system - and then there is the whole sustainability thing. I know in the UK proponents of  veg based diet have been about the methane out put of live stock. The blind spot seems to be that before we wiped out most wildlife there were millions more methane prodocing herds of wild animals and the methane was not an issue. Infacts its been part of the whole biosphere. I get if you dont want to eat meat for personal reason but I do object to enviromental argument and the blind acceptance of it by some.

Just because you don't see herds of methane producing animals doesn't mean they don't exist.2 billion sheep and goats,1.5 billion cows cattle,over a billion pigs.They are mostly in giant sheds.There are a astonishing 26 billion chickens alive in the world! Get your head around that one. Then there's the nitrogen problem from the shit and urine that 4-5 billion domestic ruminants produce.

Three posts removed.

1. Nonsensical & irrelevant.

2. Quoting that post.

3. A mixture of both

On 8/22/2022 at 8:53 PM, Khunmark said:

As far as I’m aware plant based meat is high in salt. Aside from that, it is a viable alternative for those who like the texture of meat but for ethical reasons abstain from eating meat. Lab based meat has attracted a great deal of investment money in recent years, but there are grave doubts lab based meats can upscale to the level to seriously compete with conventional meat products.

No it's most definitely not a viable alternative for meat. These "fake meats" are not nutritionally comparable to meat in any way! They lack large amounts of nutrients that are found in real meat. Claims of being these being a viable alternative are blatant misinformation by the manufacturers and the vegan movement. The reality by the way is that the whole vegan diet movement is based on falsehoods. A vegan diet if practiced as they preach is incapable of supplying all of the essential nutrients required by the body. Using just one example Vitamin B12, it is impossible to get this vitamin in healthy amounts from purely plant sources. This problem is  overcome by vegans by using supplements. However these supplements are produced in a way that is clearly not vegan by effectively laundering it like you launder stolen money. It is done by feeding animal product based feed to cattle that then produce waste that is high in the required vitamins this waste is then used to feed water plants (usually types of duck weed) that are good at accumulating these vitamins quickly in to high levels. These plants are then processed into "plant based" supplements and claimed as vegan. It's all a huge lie. Initially this method actually involved feeding liquified animal matter directly to the plants involved but that was deemed "unethical" by the vegans so they introduced the animal feed step into the process to make it more acceptable to these loonies. Like feeding the plants the blood and bone directly was somehow different to  feeding them the shit of cows fed with the blood and bone. 

17 hours ago, yselmike said:

Just because you don't see herds of methane producing animals doesn't mean they don't exist.2 billion sheep and goats,1.5 billion cows cattle,over a billion pigs.They are mostly in giant sheds.There are a astonishing 26 billion chickens alive in the world! Get your head around that one. Then there's the nitrogen problem from the shit and urine that 4-5 billion domestic ruminants produce.

Ah yes and if we stop eating them there will be even more of them producing more and more greenhouse gases and making the problem even worse. Or do you endorse the idea that we should all stop eating meat and immediately slaughter all these billions of animals and bury them in mass graves sealed to stop the methane and other gasses from escaping into the atmosphere and further damaging the environment? Not to mention the damage caused by these mass graves themselves and producing the materials required to seal them. 

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

No it's most definitely not a viable alternative for meat. These "fake meats" are not nutritionally comparable to meat in any way! They lack large amounts of nutrients that are found in real meat. Claims of being these being a viable alternative are blatant misinformation by the manufacturers and the vegan movement. The reality by the way is that the whole vegan diet movement is based on falsehoods. A vegan diet if practiced as they preach is incapable of supplying all of the essential nutrients required by the body. Using just one example Vitamin B12, it is impossible to get this vitamin in healthy amounts from purely plant sources. This problem is  overcome by vegans by using supplements. However these supplements are produced in a way that is clearly not vegan by effectively laundering it like you launder stolen money. It is done by feeding animal product based feed to cattle that then produce waste that is high in the required vitamins this waste is then used to feed water plants (usually types of duck weed) that are good at accumulating these vitamins quickly in to high levels. These plants are then processed into "plant based" supplements and claimed as vegan. It's all a huge lie. Initially this method actually involved feeding liquified animal matter directly to the plants involved but that was deemed "unethical" by the vegans so they introduced the animal feed step into the process to make it more acceptable to these loonies. Like feeding the plants the blood and bone directly was somehow different to  feeding them the shit of cows fed with the blood and bone. 

Save us the diatribe. A simple meal of whole grain rice and beans provides ALL the nutritional value that a piece of steak provides. In fact quinoa does the same as a single product. Your take on B12 is also inaccurate a quick google search would have alerted you to this fact. Now, you may have a set against a certain group of individuals (in this case vegans), whom by the way are not the only cohort who eat plant based meat, but that doesn’t mean you can fabricate a narrative to justify your response.

The militant wing of the vegans is on the slippery slope to being a cult.  Following the religious cult's path, they're getting their converts and enablers into the halls of political power to impress their particular group's ways and means on unwilling non-believers by force of political and legislative action.  Yanks have seen this come to fruition recently in their dystopian Shari'a court.

Extremist vegans consider themselves enlightened and superior to others because they read some stuff on-line and/or in a book, hook into the group dynamic and it becomes their identity.   You can hear it in the tone of the adopted, sometimes hyperbolic rhetoric they regurgitate.  They enjoy opposition so they can virtue signal, lecture, often devolving into passive/aggressive barbs dripping with disdain for the unconverted, planet destroying barbarians incapable of seeing the light of the one true path, as they have.

They aren't promising eternal life in Paradise, yet.  Rather to save the planet, the animals, and live a better, cleaner life.  Who could disagree with THAT idea, eh?  They all have some sort of generalized, high-minded, unassailable sounding charter.  Like Qanon, which is all about saving the children.

I have tried a vegan diet, it didn't suit me, I was feeling quite ill after three months - vegan friends were in two camps, one was "you need these vitamin supplements" (which seems a bit pointless), and "it doesn't suit everyone".  The save the planet argument generally falls apart once you factor in shipping the raw ingredients half way across the world - I can, and do, eat a healthy omnivorous diet that consists of locally produced meat and in season vegetables.

• Like 1

I would be very happy if Vegans and indeed Vegetarians,  would just shut the F up and leave the rest of us alone.   Like most sensible people,  I'm not interested in their evangelism, their views, their experiences, or their conversation. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grumpish said:

I have tried a vegan diet, it didn't suit me, I was feeling quite ill after three months - vegan friends were in two camps, one was "you need these vitamin supplements" (which seems a bit pointless), and "it doesn't suit everyone".  The save the planet argument generally falls apart once you factor in shipping the raw ingredients half way across the world - I can, and do, eat a healthy omnivorous diet that consists of locally produced meat and in season vegetables.

Amidst extremes yelling into bullhorns, and BS to fill the white space on social media pages, it's reassuring to hear sensible, middle of the road people weigh in.  👍   

With some exception, minding one's personal health isn't rocket science.  Sensible, balanced food intake and correlated movement/ exercise output.  Extreme diets, lifestyle coaches and Guru numpties, potions, pills, ridiculous/redundant exercise gear - largely unnecessary nonsense meant to separate people from their money. 

KISS: Keep it Simple, Stupid.  Cut out the junk food, beer, or at minimum, reduce quantity and frequency, and get back to basics.  For the most part, everything you need is, as you say, typically right down the road at the local market, Tesco, Makro, etc. 🎯 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

As a vegan I feel I should say something here about some of the comments above but I don't want to start another argument/debate on some of the issues mentioned, most of which I have to say are the usual negative comments. Myself and my wife have chosen the way of life we have and we don't force our opinions on others. 

Having said the above I am not averse to having a debate as long as it's civil and constructive.