Visa Exemption Stay Conditions Now?

Wackamole

Hi, I am planning to visit Thailand for 2 months.

Can I just enter the old way with only my passport and the return flight ticket for a 30 day VE then get a 30 day extension at Immigration office? Have all the COVID tests and insurances requirements been dropped yet?

Will be staying with gf at condo I still rent despite not having stayed in Thailand in 2 years.

Would I need to show proof of accomodation on entry? And what about the forms you fill in before landing? Have these been scrapped?

I apologize if this has been discussed already. I have looked at other threads but am still a bit confused since details seem to vary with every situation.

7 hours ago, Wackamole said:

Can I just enter the old way with only my passport and the return flight ticket for a 30 day VE then get a 30 day extension at Immigration office?

The airline may insist on a 30-day return ticket without a Visa, so you'll have to change the return date after entering Thailand. Yes, you can obtain a 30 day extension at Immigration.

Have all the COVID tests and insurances requirements been dropped yet?

Yes, all dropped.

Would I need to show proof of accomodation on entry? And what about the forms you fill in before landing? Have these been scrapped?

Yes, dropped if entering by air.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Faz said:

The airline may insist on a 30-day return ticket without a Visa, so you'll have to change the return date after entering Thailand.

Ah dang I hope not. Buying a cheap exit air ticket to neighbouring country would do in this case right?

30 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

Ah dang I hope not. Buying a cheap exit air ticket to neighbouring country would do in this case right?

yes, the flight does not have to be a return to home country

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wackamole said:

1 hour ago, cockneyboy said:

yes, the flight does not have to be a return to home country

I've read elsewhere, even a train or bus ticket out will suffice, but if you were for any reason 'refused' entry, how would you be able to get to the train or bus station in order to use that ticket out 🤔

Ultimately, it's the airline's responsibility to return you to your point of departure if refused entry
A friend was refused boarding by Emirates in Manchester, although he had a cheap ticket out to Cambodia within 30 days.
The exact question they asked him at check in was 'If refused entry, how would he be able to travel from Survarnabhumi airport to Don Mueang to catch a flight to Cambodia'?

He was forced to buy another ticket out to Kuala Lumpur, leaving from Survarnabhumi in order to board, which ended up costing him more than if he'd booked a return and changed the return date after entering Thailand - he wasn't denied entry by the way. (Emirates were actually offering changes to flight dates free, had he bothered to check).

Do a little research first for your cheapest options, just in case.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Faz said:

I've read elsewhere, even a train or bus ticket out will suffice, but if you were for any reason 'refused' entry, how would you be able to get to the train or bus station in order to use that ticket out 🤔

Ultimately, it's the airline's responsibility to return you to your point of departure if refused entry
A friend was refused boarding by Emirates in Manchester, although he had a cheap ticket out to Cambodia within 30 days.
The exact question they asked him at check in was 'If refused entry, how would he be able to travel from Survarnabhumi airport to Don Mueang to catch a flight to Cambodia'?

He was forced to buy another ticket out to Kuala Lumpur, leaving from Survarnabhumi in order to board, which ended up costing him more than if he'd booked a return and changed the return date after entering Thailand - he wasn't denied entry by the way. (Emirates were actually offering changes to flight dates free, had he bothered to check).

Do a little research first for your cheapest options, just in case.

what good would a ticket out be if its for 29 days after arrival if refused entry, the rules say a ticket out within 30 days, doesn't have any other rules, emirates were wrong to refuse boarding in your friends case

• Like 1

The ticket out he was forced to buy was departure from the same point of arrival - Survanabhumi, should he be refused entry to Thailand. His initial outbound ticket was departing Don Mueang.
The rule (advice) you mention given by Thai Embassies assumes you would be allowed entry to depart by air, bus, train, or boat out within 30 days.

Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time, with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme must show the documents listed below at the port of entry: 

Ultimately, if refused entry it's the airline's responsibility, and they make the rules for boarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Faz said:

The exact question they asked him at check in was 'If refused entry, how would he be able to travel from Survarnabhumi airport to Don Mueang to catch a flight to Cambodia'?

I dont see logic here.

What good would a ticket do, from the point of entry, if it is for weeks later, but you get refused entry?

If you are denied entry, whatever reasons, you wont stay 29 days on swampi, that ticket would be as valuable, as the one from Don Muang.

Also possible denied entry is not the reason for having to have a ticket inside the VE 30 day rule. 

Denied entry would need a straight back flight ticket. I have not seen any airline asking for that.

So the check in was either stupid, or someone just told a story, imho

24 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

I dont see logic here.

What good would a ticket do, from the point of entry, if it is for weeks later, but you get refused entry?

You'd be able to change the date for the next available flight.

30 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Also possible denied entry is not the reason for having to have a ticket inside the VE 30 day rule. 

It is for the airlines, because if you didn't have an outward or return ticket and denied entry, it would be the airline's responsibility and at their cost to return you to your original point of departure.

42 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Denied entry would need a straight back flight ticket. I have not seen any airline asking for that.

The requirement is for an outbound ticket within 30 days, not necessarily a return ticket.

Common sense prevail, if you had a bus, train, or onward ticket from a different airport to a different destination how would you get to those points of departure if refused entry. Any such ticket would be mute and unusable. Had my friend booked his outbound ticket from Suvarnabhumi and not Don Mueang it wouldn't have been an issue.

I've also read others were allowed to sign a 'waiver' relieving the airline of all responsibility if denied entry.

My advice to the OP was to research his options beforehand. I advocate purchasing a return ticket within 30 days if entering VE, but your intention is to extend to 60 days. Changing the return date can be free or low cost, depending on how and which airline you book with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it is a requirement for travellers to be fully vaccinated. Having said that, I've crossed the border three times this month and was never asked to show my vaccination certificate. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Guest1 said:

I dont see logic here.

Sadly, there is little logic in all of this. You could sail smoothly for years without even paying attention to these blurry requirements, and one day get denied boarding or entry when you thought you'd done everything right.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes a bit confusing.   

Sorta similar situation. I land BKK in September, but my return flight is about 50 days later on a different airline. But after 20 days I fly to Manila for a week so assume I get another 30 day stamp after back to BKK.   That should cover me.  I heard there might be an extension to 45 days also (at least for some countries like USA).

58 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Yes a bit confusing.   

Sorta similar situation. I land BKK in September, but my return flight is about 50 days later on a different airline. But after 20 days I fly to Manila for a week so assume I get another 30 day stamp after back to BKK.   That should cover me.  I heard there might be an extension to 45 days also (at least for some countries like USA).

yes it should be fine. I have entered Thailand, the airline staff did ask to see an exit ticket before 30 days on check in, and the immigration officer started about it as well, I said I had a ticket and they didn't ask to see it, nor anything about where I was going to stay..

the only thing in your case is that you will need 2 visa exemptions.. which there's supposedly a limit to how many you can get coming in by air and by land over a 1 year period. I wonder if you could also extend before going and do some reentry permit or something like that

2 hours ago, Wackamole said:

yes it should be fine. I have entered Thailand, the airline staff did ask to see an exit ticket before 30 days on check in, and the immigration officer started about it as well, I said I had a ticket and they didn't ask to see it, nor anything about where I was going to stay..

the only thing in your case is that you will need 2 visa exemptions.. which there's supposedly a limit to how many you can get coming in by air and by land over a 1 year period. I wonder if you could also extend before going and do some reentry permit or something like that

I believe that land border exempt entries are limited to 2 per annum.  I don't think that there is a set limit on arrivals by air  -  Immigration Officers will, of course, be checking that you have the appropriate visa for your circumstances.

3 hours ago, Chaimai said:

I believe that land border exempt entries are limited to 2 per annum.  I don't think that there is a set limit on arrivals by air  -  Immigration Officers will, of course, be checking that you have the appropriate visa for your circumstances.

You're right, there is no hard limit on these when arriving by air.

There is still potential for trouble, because a) we're talking no visa and b) IOs are the ones who call your circumstances. Your case could get more scrutiny at Bangkok than at land borders as well.

Hi, can anyone advise please. My wife and I are traveling to Thailand on holiday, arriving at Bangkok International Airport on 28th September, we have return flight tickets and are flying back home 33 days later.

We hold British passports, so are allowed entry into Thailand on the 30 day exemption visa. As we plan to stay 33 days, will the airline allow us to  board the flight and will Thai Immigration allow us to enter Thailand on 28th September,  knowing that the new exemption period of 45 days comes into force 1st October, 3 days after we arrive?

Or will we have to apply for the Single Trip Tourist Visa before we fly out to Bangkok?

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Oz13 said:

Hi, can anyone advise please. My wife and I are traveling to Thailand on holiday, arriving at Bangkok International Airport on 28th September, we have return flight tickets and are flying back home 33 days later.

We hold British passports, so are allowed entry into Thailand on the 30 day exemption visa. As we plan to stay 33 days, will the airline allow us to  board the flight and will Thai Immigration allow us to enter Thailand on 28th September,  knowing that the new exemption period of 45 days comes into force 1st October, 3 days after we arrive?

Or will we have to apply for the Single Trip Tourist Visa before we fly out to Bangkok?

Thanks.

Hi Oz13 and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, If you enter Thailand on Sept 28th, you will be granted a stay for 30 days.
Leaving after 33 days, you'll either need to extend your stay for a further 30 days (1,900 BAHT) or pay an overstay fine of 3 days.

Secondly, if entering VE (Visa exempt) the airline will request a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

To comply with the entry conditions as of Sept 28th and your planned 33 day stay, obtaining the single entry Tourist Visa would eliminate the above issues.

Thanks for your quick and informative reply Faz. We hoped that the extended visa exemption period of 45 days coming into force from 1st October would mean we didn’t have to apply for a visa, but we’ll go ahead and apply now.

19 minutes ago, Oz13 said:

Thanks for your quick and informative reply Faz. We hoped that the extended visa exemption period of 45 days coming into force from 1st October would mean we didn’t have to apply for a visa, but we’ll go ahead and apply now.

The 45 day VE entries will only become effective for those entering from the date of its initiation, Sept 1st.

You apply for the TV online now. All requirements here;
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84451-tourist-visa

On 8/30/2022 at 4:24 AM, Faz said:

Hi Oz13 and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, If you enter Thailand on Sept 28th, you will be granted a stay for 30 days.
Leaving after 33 days, you'll either need to extend your stay for a further 30 days (1,900 BAHT) or pay an overstay fine of 3 days.

Secondly, if entering VE (Visa exempt) the airline will request a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

To comply with the entry conditions as of Sept 28th and your planned 33 day stay, obtaining the single entry Tourist Visa would eliminate the above issues.

Just to be clear.... when I arrive to BKK on Sep 17 I will not have a printed ticket for my trip to Manila on Oct 7... but I can print the flight confirmation (to Manila) and assume if the airline asks to view a trip exiting the country, that would suffice.

43 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Just to be clear.... when I arrive to BKK on Sep 17 I will not have a printed ticket for my trip to Manila on Oct 7... but I can print the flight confirmation (to Manila) and assume if the airline asks to view a trip exiting the country, that would suffice.

I would print that off and also have the electronic copies of your flight confirmation/payment and any other details saved on your phone. 

You never know what they are going to ask for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dezmo said:

e-ticket?

33 minutes ago, Faz said:

e-ticket?

I only have the email with confirmation. They don't let you download a ticket until days before the flight, etc. But the confirmation shows my flight out and payment, etc.  I would hope that would suffice.