News Forum - Govt take a trip to the shroom to help Thailand’s depressed

Thaiger

The Thai Narcotics Control Board announced yesterday it will develop medicine from hallucinogenic magic mushrooms to help cure the nation’s depressed citizens. The Justice Minister, Somsak Thepsuthin, informed the media that the Narcotics Control Board joined hands with Khon Kaen University in the Isaan province of Khon Kaen to study the benefits of the magic mushroom. Magic mushrooms, or psilocybin mushrooms, have been popular among the younger generations for decades. But apparently, the Category 5 narcotic is not just good for enjoying a trip into the unknown but it is also effective in combating cluster headaches, anxiety, anorexia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, […]

The story Govt take a trip to the shroom to help Thailand’s depressed as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

This is the next avenue of attraction for people to come to Thailand. The openness to non-standard medical therapy while keeping a good level of responsibility and free of hypocrisy about it. 

The Cannabis business in Thailand has just started and still tightly regulated, but in a couple of years it will become a very thriving field. Hospitals in BKK has many high-level offices for integrative and "alternative" medicine.    Again, free of the hypocrisy and bureaucratic nonsense that drives physicians in the West crazy. There is no way I will ever practice medicine in the West again if I have this choice. 

I beg to differ.....but psilocybin, and the like, has never had a fashionable recreational following here - or Asia, for that matter. Medicinal.....yes, perhaps. 

The Thai government would do well to simultaneously develop programs for it's citizens to not develop a dependency on mood altering drugs to begin with... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skip said:

The Thai government would do well to simultaneously develop programs for it's citizens to not develop a dependency on mood altering drugs to begin with... 

Well, there is such a system. It's called Buddhism, and the monks have been trying to give it away for free for almost 26 centuries without much luck, so I'm not sure there's much hope there. But beside that, are you under the impression that anyone is dependent on psilocybin? It's not the type of drug that one can become dependent on.

21 hours ago, brian60221 said:

Well, there is such a system. It's called Buddhism, and the monks have been trying to give it away for free for almost 26 centuries without much luck, so I'm not sure there's much hope there. But beside that, are you under the impression that anyone is dependent on psilocybin? It's not the type of drug that one can become dependent on.

Buddhism... right!  It's not about becoming dependent or not on the drug... it's about letting people live free of government oppression which causes depression and the need to develop a drug of any kind to cope.

On 8/16/2022 at 10:40 AM, brian60221 said:

Problem here is, where could you go wihtout people around to enjoy it without getting into trouble or having problems? USA there are way too many places outside that one can be free and feel comfortable. Beaches, Golf Courses, parks, concerts and with so many open spaces. USA also has big houses if one does it at home. Here I struggle to think where one would be ok and comfortable to do it. Although most all of those biggity elected or in self placed power grabbers might benefit from doing it and having a new perspective on life. Either that or they would see the devil.

No thanks on this one for me.

Would be great if such drugs are legalized. These types of drugs are the drugs that could benefit people in some ways, if treated with respect.

It's not like a drug such as cocaine or heroin where there are no benefits at all.