News Forum - Virologist predicts most of Thailand will have had Covid by 2023

Thaiger

If avoiding the Coronavirus feels futile at this point, maybe it is. According to one of the country’s top virologists, by about the end of this year, nearly everyone in Thailand will have been infected with Covid-19. The chief of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Department of Paediatrics of Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine Yong Poovorawan made the prediction by extrapolating from current and past data. He said, about the same as the influenza, within 3 years, most people will get Covid at least once. While infections first appeared in Wuhan, China in the last months […]

The story Virologist predicts most of Thailand will have had Covid by 2023 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

by about the end of this year, nearly everyone in Thailand will have been infected with Covid-19.

Vaccinated and just getting over Covid myself and damned glad I had the vaccinations and booster.  Had two very hard days and 10 days later still having after effects and this is supposed to be a mild version of Covid.

Be interested to hear how some of the anti vaxxers fare when they get it.

Genuine interest not looking to put them down.  Two sides to every story I know how my side went just curious as how the other side fare after all the hyperbole for and against.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Vaccinated and just getting over Covid myself and damned glad I had the vaccinations and booster.  Had two very hard days and 10 days later still having after effects and this is supposed to be a mild version of Covid.

Genuine interest not looking to put them down.  Two sides to every story I know how my side went just curious as how the other side fare after all the hyperbole for and against.

Firslty I hope you are better now.

However, how old are you? How fat are you? Do you have diabetes? Or anything else? Your story is only interesting if you give those important details.

I have been called "anti" this and that on here many times only cause I questioned things as I always do, regardless that I kept saying that I have been vaccinated for about everything possible my whole life, including for covid too. So really first, define "anti vaxx"...

I had 2 doses of Aztrazeneca last summer (first dose put me to bed for 3 days by the way). I had covid first (as far as I know) in Thailand back in March, 30 weeks after the 2nd dose when AZ vaccine has 0 effect according to UK data. One day feverish, 3/4 days with sniffy nose and headaches and tired, end of.

After 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, vaccine effectiveness against the
Omicron variant starts at 45 to 50% then drops to almost no effect from 25 weeks after the
second dose.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1075115/COVID-19_vaccine_surveillance_report_12_May_2022_week_19.pdf

At that time, it was easier to count people who had not caught covid in our small community on the island. I know personally 3 unvaccinated people in that crowd, all healthy, one in his 50s like me who had exactly the same symptoms than me, 2 under 40 had some mild symptoms.

I am currently in Europe for the summer, in the UK right now. Caught covid about 2 weeks ago, hard not to considering the between 50 000 to over 100 000 "new cases" daily at the moment, considering also that most people do not even bother to test anymore. Basically I had a mild cold and I tested myself just by curiosity and indeed it was positive. A sniffy nose for 3/4 days... My unvaccinated friend caught it at the same time, same mild cold symptoms. Also another one of my unvaccinated friend (healthy in his 50s) in France when I was there last month, a good cold admittedly but hardly more than that. Not to mention the many young people and many of my friends' kids not vaccinated who got it with only very mild symptoms at the worse in both those countries.

There you have the other side of the story. If you are over 65, obese, not very healthy, with diabetes, etc... it is very likely that covid will do to you as you decribe (although you are vaccinated 3 times though) as would probably do a bad cold, the flu and many other diseases so indeed those vaccines can only be good for you. But why using the "anti" word again?? NOT does not mean ANTI, when you people are going to get that? It is only about who need these vaccines and who does not. I did not think I needed it from the start (I did get it as I had no choice), but I was certainly not having a 3rd dose / booster and very obviously, having had it twice in 6 months I am fine, and I have most likely a very high immunity now. And so are the vast majority of people who have had only 2 doses sometime last year or unvaccinated, all the same. And so will the entire Thai population who will eventually catch it by sometime in 2023 according to this Thai virologist who said something sensible for the first time since his face keeps appearing in the media.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Manu said:

However, how old are you? How fat are you? Do you have diabetes? Or anything else? Your story is only interesting if you give those important details.

Previous post of @Faz has answered the anti-vax query.

We'll keep it interesting for you, 72, 5 kilos over weight, aside from old football injuries that can give me a rough time I'm healthy, last major check up told I was good for 20 more years, cross fingers.

2 doses of AZ, no problems,  booster Pfizer, booster a few negative reactions headaches, rash etc. 

Current Covid getting better, did have fever, headaches, aches all over, sniffles and a very sore throat that I eased with frozen seedless grapes, worked, sore throat gone in hours.

After 10 days seem to have 2 steps forward and one back, but that's a win.

Really interested in how people with no vaccinations are coping.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, palooka said:

One on the for side. Two AZ shots, a Pfizer booster, tested positive back in February (while I was in Cambodia), and no symptoms beyond a runny nose and a bit of a cough for a couple of days - testing was almost an afterthought. Late sixties, badly overweight, long time smoker, mild heart attack four years back, so definitely a candidate for something much more serious. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

One on the for side. Two AZ shots, a Pfizer booster, tested positive back in February (while I was in Cambodia), and no symptoms beyond a runny nose and a bit of a cough for a couple of days - testing was almost an afterthought. Late sixties, badly overweight, long time smoker, mild heart attack four years back, so definitely a candidate for something much more serious. 

Should have bought a lottery ticket, you're blessed.

Hope that dose increased your immunity for you.

Covid version in Asia does seem to be milder than reports from  western countires. 

Suppose in a few years there will be detailed analyst reports and a better understanding of the whys and why nots.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Manu said:

Firslty I hope you are better now.

I have been called "anti" this and that on here many times only cause I questioned things as I always do, regardless that I kept saying that I have been vaccinated for about everything possible my whole life, including for covid too. So really first, define "anti vaxx"...

I had 2 doses of Aztrazeneca last summer (first dose put me to bed for 3 days by the way). I had covid first (as far as I know) in Thailand back in March, 30 weeks after the 2nd dose when AZ vaccine has 0 effect according to UK data. One day feverish, 3/4 days with sniffy nose and headaches and tired, end of.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1075115/COVID-19_vaccine_surveillance_report_12_May_2022_week_19.pdf

At that time, it was easier to count people who had not caught covid in our small community on the island. I know personally 3 unvaccinated people in that crowd, all healthy, one in his 50s like me who had exactly the same symptoms than me, 2 under 40 had some mild symptoms.

I am currently in Europe for the summer, in the UK right now. Caught covid about 2 weeks ago, hard not to considering the between 50 000 to over 100 000 "new cases" daily at the moment, considering also that most people do not even bother to test anymore. Basically I had a mild cold and I tested myself just by curiosity and indeed it was positive. A sniffy nose for 3/4 days... My unvaccinated friend caught it at the same time, same mild cold symptoms. Also another one of my unvaccinated friend (healthy in his 50s) in France when I was there last month, a good cold admittedly but hardly more than that. Not to mention the many young people and many of my friends' kids not vaccinated who got it with only very mild symptoms at the worse in both those countries.

There you have the other side of the story. If you are over 65, obese, not very healthy, with diabetes, etc... it is very likely that covid will do to you as you decribe (although you are vaccinated 3 times though) as would probably do a bad cold, the flu and many other diseases so indeed those vaccines can only be good for you. But why using the "anti" word again?? NOT does not mean ANTI, when you people are going to get that? It is only about who need these vaccines and who does not. I did not think I needed it from the start (I did get it as I had no choice), but I was certainly not having a 3rd dose / booster and very obviously, having had it twice in 6 months I am fine, and I have most likely a very high immunity now. And so are the vast majority of people who have had only 2 doses sometime last year or unvaccinated, all the same. And so will the entire Thai population who will eventually catch it by sometime in 2023 according to this Thai virologist who said something sensible for the first time since his face keeps appearing in the media.

We had 2 Astrazeneca jabs back in April/June last year, have lived here since August 2021 and have been living a normal life, we no longer wear a mask, I have a terminal illness so have a very compromised immune system, neither of us have contracted covid, not sure how, but we're 67 and 59, make of that what you will. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mandy said:

We had 2 Astrazeneca jabs back in April/June last year, have lived here since August 2021 and have been living a normal life, we no longer wear a mask, I have a terminal illness so have a very compromised immune system, neither of us have contracted covid, not sure how, but we're 67 and 59, make of that what you will. 

Some report blood types are relevant O +/- less likely to contract it.  AB more likely.

Maybe a lot to do with Hygeine also, wash hands often etc.

Who knows but have found Covid to be very selective in who it infects. Had two occasions that I was in close physical contact with children who later the same day tested positive, one very ill in hospital and ok now.  Both times no Covid.  Some households seem to have some with Covid and other members test negative.

Wife, school teacher, contracted it recently and generously shared with me, both have recovered.

Enjoy your time left with us, may your days be wonderful.

7 hours ago, palooka said:

Some report blood types are relevant O +/- less likely to contract it.  AB more likely.

Maybe a lot to do with Hygeine also, wash hands often etc.

Who knows but have found Covid to be very selective in who it infects. Had two occasions that I was in close physical contact with children who later the same day tested positive, one very ill in hospital and ok now.  Both times no Covid.  Some households seem to have some with Covid and other members test negative.

Wife, school teacher, contracted it recently and generously shared with me, both have recovered.

Enjoy your time left with us, may your days be wonderful.

Glad you've both recovered and thank you for your kind words, I consider myself something of a coffin dodger, apparently I'm past my sell by date, but I have places to go and things to do, a positive mind and a stubborn personality goes a long way.  By the way I'm Rhesus negative so that also doesn't explain it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A rather cheap prediction. Like, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

Covid is a new virus, eventually every person will get in contact with it. Some will get sick, with symptoms going from just a runny nose to hospitalization or worse. Being vaccinated may help, at least against more serious symptoms. Being a healthy person with normal weight may also help against the more serious symptoms.

But being vaccinated will not prevent you from being infected, and getting sick. I had 2 shots and a booster, but I still picked it up. Someone gave me a good-bye hug before I went on my holiday. Yay... Bad headache for 3 days, coughing, running nose. After that 1 week very tired. The only good thing, after an infection I suppose I built up a certain natural resistance.

1 hour ago, Janneman said:

But being vaccinated will not prevent you from being infected, and getting sick. I had 2 shots and a booster, but I still picked it up.

Think the idea of vaccination is to prepare your immunity system so you don't die.

It worked for you, you are still here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Janneman said:

But being vaccinated will not prevent you from being infected, and getting sick. I had 2 shots and a booster, but I still picked it up. Someone gave me a good-bye hug before I went on my holiday. Yay... Bad headache for 3 days, coughing, running nose. After that 1 week very tired. The only good thing, after an infection I suppose I built up a certain natural resistance.

Actually, the "good thing" is that the vaccination most probably prevented you from having more serious symptoms..

Everyone knows that the vaccine does not prevent you getting Covid  -  nobody ever said it would. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

Didn't think anyone listened to what Biden says anymore, I'm sure the poor man has no recollection of saying anything two minutes ago.😃

The FBI should  investigate the "powers that be" behind Biden for elderly abuse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:50 PM, palooka said:

I'm 62 years old, overweight and unvaxxed - caught Covid in May - VERY sore throat but no temperature or other symptoms - had a stock of and started a course of the recommended meds <edited> and sore throat went away by the end of the day - on the second day felt 90% (except for a fair bit of phlegm which cleared up by the third day) and by day 6 tested negative - initial test results confirmed by hospital.  Partner caught it as well (same age, female, two shots of Astra Zenica) and ran a temp for about ten days.

Edited by Faz
removed advertising link.
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 1:54 PM, Chaimai said:

Actually, the "good thing" is that the vaccination most probably prevented you from having more serious symptoms..

Everyone knows that the vaccine does not prevent you getting Covid  -  nobody ever said it would. 

Here's Fauci, Trudeau, Andrews and Biden all saying it would protect you from catching it - https://www.bitchute.com/video/B6rFmGHrkZNP/

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BlueBlack said:

I'm 62 years old, overweight and unvaxxed - caught Covid in May - VERY sore throat but no temperature or other symptoms - had a stock of and started a course of the recommended meds <edited> and sore throat went away by the end of the day - on the second day felt 90% (except for a fair bit of phlegm which cleared up by the third day) and by day 6 tested negative - initial test results confirmed by hospital.  Partner caught it as well (same age, female, two shots of Astra Zenica) and ran a temp for about ten days.

The "removed advertising link" was a link to a widespread early treatment protocol.