News Forum - Thailand workers could earn over 100,000 baht in Saudi Arabia

Thaiger

Workers can expect to earn monthly salaries of over 100,000 baht when Saudi Arabia opens its doors to Thailand later this year Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin made it known yesterday that Thailand has agreed to fill the skilled and semi-skilled workers’ void in Saudi Arabia after the kingdoms patched up a 30-year feud. Saudi Arabia cut trade and diplomatic ties with Thailand in 1989 after the Blue Diamond affair, where a Thai worker stole diamonds worth US$20 million from a Saudi palace. The incident was followed a year later by the deaths of three Saudi diplomats and a businessman trying […]

The story Thailand workers could earn over 100,000 baht in Saudi Arabia as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Great, register all Thais and their employers, have a Thai Govt representative contact these employees regularly , face to face without interference to ensure their human rights are not being abused and maybe they will succeed.  Passports to be held by this Thai Govt rep and not by the Saudi employer and just maybe something productive can come of this for the Thais.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, palooka said:

Great, register all Thais and their employers, have a Thai Govt representative contact these employees regularly , face to face without interference to ensure their human rights are not being abused and maybe they will succeed.  Passports to be held by this Thai Govt rep and not by the Saudi employer and just maybe something productive can come of this for the Thais.

Hmmm...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's the contractor that holds [mandated] the respective passports. The first year is beholding to paying the contractor off. 

Back when, in the 1970s into the 1980s - during the rage when foreign workers [huge number of Thais] were fulfilling their contractual obligations, the employees were under the auspices of their governments. They were allowed to personally responsible for their passports and paperwork. 

• Like 1

good luck to them.  I wouldn't work in that weird, stone age country/ culture for many  times more than that.  I like money, but I do have some basic principles left as to who I would work for and its definitely not that lot.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, palooka said:

I agree with this

I would want assurances from the Govt agency on how the workers would be looked after

Our niece just got a job as an engineer at a big company in Pathum Thani, but if there were assurances from the Thai govt, I may be comfortable in her working there

• Like 1

Lot of misconceptions here. No one is talking about Thais going to work as domestic helpers, where admittedly there have been many cases of abuse in the past. 

If, and I see no reason why it's not as stated, were talking about proper jobs such as nurses and engineers etc I see no reason why not. Salaries and conditions will be high. The only thing difficult for Thai workers will be the required level of English, because they will be competing directly with Filipinos. 

All this talk about employers holding passports is outdated for the most part, and it's easier to change jobs once you're in the country these days too. 

Dunno where the Thai gov person comes up with 100,000 baht a month for service jobs though. Starting salary for a Saudi would be about 45k a month, and for a foreigner about 18k in those types of jobs. A Thai won't go there for that I wouldn't have thought. 

I've been in Saudi 10 years now. Don't regret it at all. The life is good. The people are friendly and relaxed. 

Only wish it wasn't so damned got outside right now!! 🔥🔥🔥

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

good luck to them.  I wouldn't work in that weird, stone age country/ culture for many  times more than that.  I like money, but I do have some basic principles left as to who I would work for and its definitely not that lot.   

Principles are nice when you can afford them....🤔😲🤔😲

• Like 1

3 hours ago, palooka said:

Or back in the real world the worker can just make a call....

11 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Principles are nice when you can afford them....🤔😲🤔😲

Indeed so, and poorer Thais have options too for international working, Taiwan, Japan and Korea being three such.  They don't have to end up in the land of stone age hypocrites. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Indeed so, and poorer Thais have options too for international working, Taiwan, Japan and Korea being three such.  They don't have to end up in the land of stone age hypocrites. 

Of course, and all 35 million people in the country are exactly like you said. 

Did you spend much time there?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

The people tolerate the government, religion and culture  that they are prepared to follow and support in power, until they are not.   I don't need to  visit every Nation in the world to have an opinion on their acceptability to modern civilization and civilized thinking.  I haven't visited North Korea, Russia, Iran or Pakistan, to name a few, that in my view, and the view of very many others, that have unacceptably negative impacts on the civilized world and on their own people.   I abhor such regimes and would see them dismantled  and consigned to history, if I could, but I can't, but I can avoid them and all those who either positively support them,. or do so by default.  So yes, in effect. all 35 million of them. 

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

The people tolerate the government, religion and culture  that they are prepared to follow and support in power, until they are not.   I don't need to  visit every Nation in the world to have an opinion on their acceptability to modern civilization and civilized thinking.  I haven't visited North Korea, Russia, Iran or Pakistan, to name a few, that in my view, and the view of very many others, that have unacceptably negative impacts on the civilized world and on their own people.   I abhor such regimes and would see them dismantled  and consigned to history, if I could, but I can't, but I can avoid them and all those who either positively support them,. or do so by default.  So yes, in effect. all 35 million of them. 

It's funny, but when noobs come to Thailand and tell everyone how they know the country so well blah blah blah they always get laughed off the internet. 

Yet here you are, never having been to a country doing exactly the same...😝😝😝

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Born of predisposed cultish conditioning and textbook stereotypes - appears how those particular individuals, and their "superior" cultures, encase their invented worldview........without examining their own first.  

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

It's funny, but when noobs come to Thailand and tell everyone how they know the country so well blah blah blah they always get laughed off the internet. 

Yet here you are, never having been to a country doing exactly the same...😝😝😝

So to you, the whole world is wine and roses and fairies and pretty children  dancing around beautiful flowered gardens. You surely can't be that unaware and naïve.  During the Cold War, when I was a military pilot, I didn't need to have visited Russia to know that I would have been quite happy to bomb the sxxt out of the place. That is because I am far from naïve about the world as it is.   

22 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Lot of misconceptions here. No one is talking about Thais going to work as domestic helpers, where admittedly there have been many cases of abuse in the past. 

If, and I see no reason why it's not as stated, were talking about proper jobs such as nurses and engineers etc I see no reason why not. Salaries and conditions will be high. The only thing difficult for Thai workers will be the required level of English, because they will be competing directly with Filipinos. 

All this talk about employers holding passports is outdated for the most part, and it's easier to change jobs once you're in the country these days too. 

Dunno where the Thai gov person comes up with 100,000 baht a month for service jobs though. Starting salary for a Saudi would be about 45k a month, and for a foreigner about 18k in those types of jobs. A Thai won't go there for that I wouldn't have thought. 

I've been in Saudi 10 years now. Don't regret it at all. The life is good. The people are friendly and relaxed. 

Only wish it wasn't so damned got outside right now!! 🔥🔥🔥

I think this is all pretty rationale, especially your post about these aren't laborious jobs, but working for proper companies.

That being said, and with no admitted 1st hand knowledge but know of the horror stories of foreign workers in Saudi Arabia, I would want assurances of some kind of Thai govt monitoring if I were sending my kid over there to work

If the Thai Govt is pushing this program, they should be able to offer on the ground assistance...........

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

So to you, the whole world is wine and roses and fairies and pretty children  dancing around beautiful flowered gardens. You surely can't be that unaware and naïve.  During the Cold War, when I was a military pilot, I didn't need to have visited Russia to know that I would have been quite happy to bomb the sxxt out of the place. That is because I am far from naïve about the world as it is.   

Is you Pattaya sex special forces??

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Nothing about wine and roses. 

On the one hand we have a person who has an opinion based on never having visited a country, garnered solely from whatever skewed media sources that person is into. 

And on the other hand someone who has spent over ten years in a country (also in a military environment by the way, not that that counts for anything) in various locations, having met countless locals over the years. 

I know who I'd listen to more if I wanted an opinion about said country. 

To bring this back to Thailand again, you're like one of those people back in ferrangland, who on my return there tells me, "I know what you're going to a Thailand for. " with a nudge and a wink. 

You know nothing about the place. Yes, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is, and one based on little fact too.