Thailand tourism officials predict best and worst case scenarios for reopening

Thaiger

The best-case scenario in Thailand’s reopening… 3 million foreign tourist arrivals this year, Tourism Council of Thailand says. It’s a far cry from the around 40 million welcomed to Thailand in 2019. But with Phuket set to reopening tomorrow under the “Sandbox” travel model, and other areas posed to reopen later this year, tourism officials guess, that in the best case, 3 million tourists could arrive this year. The worst-case scenario? 1 million tourist arrivals, tourism officials estimate. And that’s if Bangkok remains closed to foreign arrivals and if Chinese tourists can’t take outbound trips. With Thailand in its most […]

The post Thailand tourism officials predict best and worst case scenarios for reopening appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

All pie in the sky by official s that don't have a clue and are blinded by reality. Vaccinate your people then concentrate on phase two opening up the country. Wake up to the sandbox flop 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

My buttocks are clenched in anticipation and excitement!

Anyone else in the same state?

absolutely  tourists , patong tunnel, and formula 1. Why would you want to be anywhere else? 

• Haha 2

I am due to fly to europe in november ,i have my flight booked ,just waiting for vaccines,if i dont get my second jab before i fly can i still fly. My first jab is booked for july.   

• Like 1

depends on the country you will arrive,

you may need a rapid antigen test or PCR test, no jabs needed,
at Emirates, Etihad and Quatar Airlines you will need PCR test at the moment,

and Sinovac is not approved in Europe and would not help to fly

Edited by satpete
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Geo said:

All pie in the sky by official s that don't have a clue and are blinded by reality. Vaccinate your people then concentrate on phase two opening up the country. Wake up to the sandbox flop 

Couldn't have put it better myself . . . thanks for that!

Hello, Geo and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

41 minutes ago, Mccall said:

I am due to fly to europe in november ,i have my flight booked ,just waiting for vaccines,if i dont get my second jab before i fly can i still fly. My first jab is booked for july.   

I would doubt it, since most countries require full vax, i.e. 2 jabs. Try this Skyscanner site; enter Thailand (I'm presuming) in the box, guide the finger to the country you're visiting, click and there should be all the info you need. Let me know if no joy.

https://www.skyscanner.ie/travel-restrictions/thailand/29475320

Hello, Mccall and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

I tend to take what TAT say with a pinch of salt. For more realistic figures, AOT have them for 'expected' arrivals bound for Phuket.

Looking at the sandbox positively it hopefully will be a success and will allow other areas to start opening up again.

If you look at it negatively, it has been a balls up with the goal post shifting on at least a daily basis which has done more damage by frustrating and annoying anyone/everyone and is still seen as a recipe for disaster.

A skeptical view would see the project as ill thought out, poor communication between all relevant parties and continually making significant adjustments and alterations to the do's/  dont's and restrictions which can and has created less confidence in potential tourists and the business people in Phuket.

As the opening is literally hours away, we can only wish Phuket the very best of luck and hope that it can pave the way for reopening the whole of Thailand over the coming months.

• Like 1

'Thailand tourism officials predict best and worst case scenarios for reopening'

Ah, this is TCT. Now if it was TOT they only ever predicted best and best case scenarios.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

'Thailand tourism officials predict best and worst case scenarios for reopening'

Ah, this is TCT. Now if it was TOT they only ever predicted best and best case scenarios.

Yes, but let's not split hairs . . . there's only one letter of a difference!

Hello, Mike-Hunt and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

23 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Yes, but let's not split hairs . . . there's only one letter of a difference!

Hello, Mike-Hunt and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

Thanks. Maybe in a while, I'll see how it goes.

Quote:   "In the best-case scenario, if the 10 targeted areas reopen by October, and Chinese tourists can take outbound trips by then, Thailand could welcome 3 million tourists and generate 212 billion baht by the end of the year. The target areas include Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, Surat Thani, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Buri Ram and Bangkok. Vichit predicts that, most likely, there will be 1.4 million foreign arrivals this year generating 107 billion baht, saying that China will probably loosen travel restrictions to prepare for reopening for the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing."

All they ever talk about is the numbers - tourists and bahts.  This whole sham is showing the world exactly what the people who run things are Thailand are really like.  It is such a shame, because the vast majority of the real Thai people are wonderful human beings - I think Thailand has just about killed the 'golden goose' of 40 million annual tourists. It is certainly struggling to breath and it has chest pains and it is unable to make any noise or move around much.  

• Like 3

there is only 1 scenario with all the rules and restrictions in place (including self muzzling with masks while on 'vacation').  The scenario is that there will be no tourists, period.

• Like 2

TRUELY ---

The so-called rules for travel into Thailand are Completely unintelligible..  PARTIALLY because the English translations of all the requirements are scrambled Beyond any possible understanding which would leave a Traveler quite unsure of exactly what to do and not to do to enter and stay for a while in the country.  I don't know what the term is for explaining this phenomenon.  But why go to all the expense and uncertainty???

whatever happened to the  K.I.S.S.  "Keep it simple, stupid" ??

or is it just that the rule makers and translators have some sort of Covid brain infections???

• Haha 3

It would be wonderful if girls did Not have to sell their jewels to anyone.  It is Very Sad, that some people go to Thailand (or live in Thailand) for such activities.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's doubtful China is going to allow meaningful number of tourists to travel this year, maybe not until the end of 2022. With the winter Olympics happening in February, they are not going to risk Chinese tourists returning and infecting the country prior to that. They have already decided they want everyone spending money at home, "Red Tourism" and all of that. It's why in May they decided to keep the return quarantine in place for the rest of 2021. Even next year is iffy at best as China has a huge once every 5 year CCP meeting in October of 2022. Same thing, it's not likely they will allow travelers to return and infect the country before that event happens.  The possibility of only a million tourists over the next six months should scare everyone who makes money in the industry (and the national treasury too).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The low end of this estimate would require an average weekly arrival of 26K for the entire year. Even under ASQ daily arrivals have only averaged 7K/month since December, 2020. For the next 3 months there will be a gradual opening of the tourist areas under one form or another of the sandbox. "No Quarantine" does not mean "no rules" or "low cost" and there are very few people who would be willing to put up with the requirements - under ASQ or Sandbox - and fewer still would be able to sacrifice holiday time with an uncertain outcome. Yes, the numbers will tick up somewhat; there are more than a few adventurous souls who want to see how nice tourism-free Thailand is, but to expect the arrival numbers to suddenly increase by a factor of 8 for the rest of the year is borderline delusional.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, EmperorOfNothingness said:

TRUELY ---

The so-called rules for travel into Thailand are Completely unintelligible..  PARTIALLY because the English translations of all the requirements are scrambled Beyond any possible understanding which would leave a Traveler quite unsure of exactly what to do and not to do to enter and stay for a while in the country.  I don't know what the term is for explaining this phenomenon.  But why go to all the expense and uncertainty???

whatever happened to the  K.I.S.S.  "Keep it simple, stupid" ??

or is it just that the rule makers and translators have some sort of Covid brain infections???

Ha-ha . . . fair comment!

Hello, EmperorOfNothingness and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

• 4 weeks later...

So i got CENSORED already

cannot even post a news article about someone flying private jets into Nepal to donate COVID medical supplies

instead of following papa's footsteps and helping locally with the covid hell realm

Bye Bye  

• Haha 2

On 7/1/2021 at 12:40 AM, EmperorOfNothingness said:

It would be wonderful if girls did Not have to sell their jewels to anyone.  It is Very Sad, that some people go to Thailand (or live in Thailand) for such activities.  

Wow, what a load of holier than thou nonsense, so most men are sad people in your book, oh dear, you not getting any.Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 12:40 AM, EmperorOfNothingness said:

But guess from that comment "It would be wonderful if girls did Not have to sell their jewels to anyone" you are happy for the men to do it. I see what you are saying, well each to their own as they say ?

7 minutes ago, EmperorOfNothingness said:

So i got CENSORED already

cannot even post a news article about someone flying private jets into Nepal to donate COVID medical supplies

instead of following papa's footsteps and helping locally with the covid hell realm

Bye Bye  

When your post contains Thai-sensitive words like referring to the royal family, it is temporarily hidden until a Moderator has checked whether it could not bring you in trouble (Thailand's attrocious lese majeste laws) before releasing it.

I posted some time ago a scathing comment on Thailand's leading sociopath advising the Thai government on covid policy, and was PM-ed by a Moderator whether I wanted to delete the post or to have it released.  As I wrote it in a rage to blow of some steam after reading dr Yong(ele) latest advice, I decided to keep it hidden. 

I would be surprised if your post was truly censored, as contrary to the 'other Forum' the ThaiGer Talk Forum is a heaven for free speech and as long as your posts are not insulting/abusive the moderators go along with that and do not exercise any personal bias to determine what is allowed to be posted.

On 6/30/2021 at 1:15 PM, Mccall said:

The problem is fir everybody who wanna go to europe is that Thailand uses Sinovac that has no approval in Europe. And after the studies from countries who uses Sinovac and people still get infected they will not give Sinovac a approval.

• Like 2