News Forum - Jungceylon undergoes renovation to become a one-stop shopping paradise

Thaiger

Press Release “Jungceylon Shopping Center is renovating the shopping mall’s basement by allocating space and introducing new exciting shops to meet the lifestyles of Thai and foreign customers,” stated Mr Prawit Janyasittikul, Chief Executive Officer of Jungceylon Shopping Center Patong Phuket. The ‘Jungle Building’ inside Jungceylon has a total basement area is over 7,000 sqm. The food bazaar located in this zone boasts modern-Chinese-style interior design. At the Food Bazaar, you can affordably experience both authentic street food from Thailand and international cuisines. You can also choose from a variety of ready-to-eat meals in the “Grab & Go” area of […]

The story Jungceylon undergoes renovation to become a one-stop shopping paradise as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Speaking for myself after nearly 15 years of visiting , we come to Thailand to experience Thailand and its uniqueness . I wish they would stop "modernizing'    Phuket by introducing the same bland fashion and "International"  eateries we can find anywhere in the world and frankly  sick of.  

Yes, update it by increasing/enlarging its cultural flavours , not introducing more overpriced westernized concepts. If I want Gucci and a Pizza I will buy it at home thanks.  Give me Mu Gob and a carved wooden Frog any time.

Just my take.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bobdown said:

Speaking for myself after nearly 15 years of visiting , we come to Thailand to experience Thailand and its uniqueness . I wish they would stop "modernizing'    Phuket by introducing the same bland fashion and "International"  eateries we can find anywhere in the world and frankly  sick of.  

Yes, update it by increasing/enlarging its cultural flavours , not introducing more overpriced westernized concepts. If I want Gucci and a Pizza I will buy it at home thanks.  Give me Mu Gob and a carved wooden Frog any time.

Just my take.

But for Chinese and Russian tourists it is a big attraction.
Just check the tax excemption counter in Central and the customs tax return on the airport. Lot of Chinese, and big money change hands.
So some locals and some tourists are interested in this.

6 hours ago, Bobdown said:

Just my take.

Try out some of the other islands or Krabi on future visits.  Still a lot of mom & pop places to eat around there with maybe less modernizing that Patong & nearby areas of Phuket.  Not sure where you go when in Phuket, but the eastern side is not as developed as the western side. When I first started coming to Thailand in 2005 I was always going to Patong Beach.  I’ve been living here for a couple years now and traveled around a lot more since I have way more time than my working days. Hua Hin is not bad either if you want to be on the beach and still a lot of local mom & pop family restaurants and not many (tho some) international places that you dislike.  If you really want different and don’t need the beach, Chiang Mai in the old part of the city has a nice vibe with tours and things to do inside or just outside the city.  hope this help and good luck.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobdown said:

Just my take.

A lot of tourists do like it though, and not just "shop till you drop" package tour Chinese. I first visited Patong over 30 years ago, back then Rat Uthit Road had very little development, it was mostly just empty land from there back to the hill. If you want Thailand like it was back then - try Laos.

33 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

A lot of tourists do like it though, and not just "shop till you drop" package tour Chinese. I first visited Patong over 30 years ago, back then Rat Uthit Road had very little development, it was mostly just empty land from there back to the hill. If you want Thailand like it was back then - try Laos.

You don't even have to try Laos(which is fantastic)

But there are so many places in Thailand that are still not super developed and much less touristy

People always wish for how it used to be 20-30yrs ago but then keep going to the 4 or 5 main places

When you can go to places like Chumphon and all sorts of places that are exactly how places like Patong used to be

• Like 1

Thailand is going against the tide. Retail industry is suffering and may not recover to where it was. Many have switched to online purchase. 

Many outdated malls are now turned into residential.  

22 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Many have switched to online purchase. 

Which can be problematic, particularly in Thailand with its fictional warranties etc. 

Agree though, the younger generations are really getting in to it.