News Forum - Thailand News Today | Thailand no longer considers Covid “dangerous infectious disease” 

Thaiger

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That is so frigging weird, to ask someone to pull their mask down to see their face

It blows my mind how weird so many farang are in Thailand

Not weird just want to know who I am talking to, with mask i do not recognize them on a later time, by the way I first ask or they like to wear the mask, if they say no I ask

Edited by ronnie666

1 hour ago, ronnie666 said:

Not weird just want to know who I am talking to, with mask i do not recognize them on a later time, by the way I first ask or they like to wear the mask, if they say no I ask

How long have you spent or been around Thais?

To not understand that you are putting  them in a very uncomfortable situation by making them refuse to lower their mask is the height of zero awareness 

I guarantee you almost every single Thai you asked to do that was extremely uncomfortable 

Stop being weird!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, brian60221 said:

You're not getting it. The statistics collection process is rigged to say that people died "of" COVID even when this has not been shown. Now, how many of those who died were above the average life expectancy?

Most countries don’t report people that died of Covid. They report people who had Covid at the time of death when Covid may have been a factor. Death certificates often list multiple illnesses or factors as causing the death

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 5:43 PM, rc1 said:

So, you think it's appropriate for Thais  to 'conduct themselves'  by permanently wearing masks, indefinitely?

Is that the Thailand you want to live in for the ongoing future?

Who said it’s permanently indefinitely ? Don’t be so dramatic making up non facts! My mother still wears a mask when she goes out to places where she is likely to be in close proximity to other people as do many older people in the UK. When she was walking around carrying a gas mask in 1941 she might well have thought it was going to be forever but that wasn’t the case was it? When people feel comfortable about not wearing a mask they will stop. Taking precautions against catching Covid is not wrong but it’s down to personal choice now not government mandate so that is good enough for me for the time being.

1 hour ago, ronnie666 said:

It’s weird and inconsiderate 

On 8/11/2022 at 5:45 AM, rc1 said:

Literally a handful of countries in the world are still masking up to this degree

I watch Irish TV on my IP TV service and it’s interesting to note that the government there still advocates for mask wearing in public places where close contact is possible not for your own protection but for protection of others that you might come across who may have weakened health due to problems that aren’t obvious. I think that’s a good sentiment. Too many people only care about the impact on themselves.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 4:53 PM, DesperateOldHand said:

My experience and observations as well. 

Per usual, Farang know better 🙄[not] as to how Thais should be conducting themselves - 

I agree. It’s not so long ago that a lot of posters on this forum were predicting that Covid measures such as mask mandates would be kept in place forever in some kind of government attempt to control the population. Now the mandate has been dropped they complain about people choosing to wear a mask. I thought everyone was for freedom of choice so why complain about other people choosing to wear masks?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

How long have you spent or been around Thais?

To not understand that you are putting  them in a very uncomfortable situation by making them refuse to lower their mask is the height of zero awareness 

I guarantee you almost every single Thai you asked to do that was extremely uncomfortable 

Stop being weird!

No is not at all seems you not around Thais at all probably around beer bottles, stop pissing me off. You weird and st#$% whiner oh to answer your question  19 years around thai people also wonder why some of them are my friend now... I guess they thought was weird 🤣

This is exactly the reason I am happy there are not many foreigners where I live, people are normal and a foreigner in some tourist trap place has no idea about the real thailand at all... think and do as a Thai maybe you learn something..

Please stay in Vancouver....

Edited by ronnie666
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

Just substantiate it.

I'll try one more time to make my point, which is that the process for collecting statistics is rigged to produce a politically useful result.

The first step is this: if you take a scrap of cloth from Tutankhamun's sarcophagus and perform a PCR test on it, it will "test positive" for SARS-CoV-2 if the cycles are cranked high enough. This is a well-known issue with PCR, even emphasized by its inventor, and it's why prior to a few years ago, everyone understood that it was invalid for diagnosis. There's good reason to think that PCR was chosen for this job exactly because it can be adjusted to produce whatever result is desired. We've all encountered thousands of reports about daily case counts since this fiasco began; how many times has the government or the press talked about what PCR cycle configuration was used? Close to 0, right?

The second step is this: you tell the collectors of statistics to count deaths that could be from COVID as having been caused by COVID, whether or not this has been shown. Procedures vary by country, but in some cases, a person who "tested positive" (remember, this is not necessarily meaningful) and then dies for any reason within 4 weeks, will be counted as a COVID death.

Now, just combine those two. Imagine that, since elderly people are especially vulnerable to COVID, they are encouraged to be tested often. The results are not meaningful, but let's say that some of the time, the test results come back positive. Now, if the tested person dies for any reason within 4 weeks, they will be counted as a COVID death.

This is a setup to produce a steady stream of "COVID deaths" that are actually just the expected deaths of elderly people. Please, take the time to understand this point and concede that this plays some role in what's going on.

Edit: please consider listening to a few minutes of this interview with Kary Mullis, inventor of PCR, in which he calls attention to the CDC producing epidemic graphs that seem to show exponentially increasing "cases" which are actually just due to increased testing. This was in 1996.

Edited by brian60221
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Who said it’s permanently indefinitely ? Don’t be so dramatic making up non facts! My mother still wears a mask when she goes out to places where she is likely to be in close proximity to other people as do many older people in the UK. When she was walking around carrying a gas mask in 1941 she might well have thought it was going to be forever but that wasn’t the case was it? When people feel comfortable about not wearing a mask they will stop. Taking precautions against catching Covid is not wrong but it’s down to personal choice now not government mandate so that is good enough for me for the time being.

Your mother in the UK is likely in a high risk group -eldery - and is making a choice.

The mass population continuing to wear them everywhere - including newsreaders and children, is not a proportionate response. 

The government and media need to actively make the Thai people more comfortable and less fearful of Covid.

It's not the health reality that's making them uncomfortable. 

Remember when ONE stray Egyptian Airforce wallah who tested +ve back in Cairo shut down an entire province? 

The sequel is now blameless monkeys go hungry because morons can't use their phone for anything more than posting airbrushed selfies, getting their daily dose of "netizen outrage" and swiping junk news.

They should all be on Thaifreindly hitting on me 🤣

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, rc1 said:

Your mother in the UK is likely in a high risk group -eldery - and is making a choice.

The mass population continuing to wear them everywhere - including newsreaders and children, is not a proportionate response. 

The government and media need to actively make the Thai people more comfortable and less fearful of Covid.

It's not the health reality that's making them uncomfortable. 

The main thing is that it’s a matter of choice now not mandatory. I think people will get more relaxed about it over time. Covid is still not a nice thing to get even if you aren’t likely to die from it so people have to decide for themselves what precautions to take. My daughter just started a new job at an international school in Bangkok and had to take a test before she could start work so there are implications if you pick it up in some circumstances. I think some people need to stop trying to impose their relaxed attitude on others and let people make their own mind up instead of getting uptight because people aren’t stopping mask usage at a pace that they approve of. BTW thai tv newsreaders stopped wearing masks a while back but I see tv shows from USA where all audience members are wearing masks.

7 hours ago, ronnie666 said:

No is not at all seems you not around Thais at all probably around beer bottles, stop pissing me off. You weird and st#$% whiner oh to answer your question  19 years around thai people also wonder why some of them are my friend now... I guess they thought was weird 🤣

This is exactly the reason I am happy there are not many foreigners where I live, people are normal and a foreigner in some tourist trap place has no idea about the real thailand at all... think and do as a Thai maybe you learn something..

Please stay in Vancouver....

Don’t let anyone piss you off. A lot of posters just try to get a rise out of other people for fun. If they annoy you just laugh at their comments and ignore them! And don’t try to tell people that you think and do as  a Thai does. That just sounds ridiculous because no nationalities are monolithic. There are as many different types of people in Thailand as there are in any other country.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, ronnie666 said:

I not even notice or they wear a mask, only time I notice it is when I would like to see their face  and I just ask it and they do.. all the mask thing why people worry about it upto each person or they wear it or not.. why so obsessed 

Pooyings are helpful that way.🤣

Covid isn't over. But I'm over Covid. 

I'm in NZ right now, it is still Mandatory to wear a mask in shops, but, business owners have the ultimate discretion. 

Some enforce it (smaller shops) Supermarkets and big hardware chains etc. Don't. 

Maybe a third of Kiwis don't wear them anywhere, I don't wear one in a pub, nobody does, except staff. 

There's no way to oblige anyone to wear a mask, a business owner can ask someone to leave, and that's about it. I doubt many owners want to make a stand tho. Non compilers are slightly unhinged if challenged from what I hear,.

I think members of the public have no right dictating to other members of the public to wear a mask or not, we should all mind our own business either way! 

There's a mask exemption badge here, You only have to ask for it and print it online or collect it from designated spots. Few wear the badge tho.

I don't care if others wear masks or not. But I wish the authorities would either enforce the mandate or just cancel the whole thing. 

I wear a mask when required by mandate. I wish the mandate would end. It's unsustainable forever, and guarantees nothing. 

I know it's limited protection (stitched cloth is much more bearable than paper fibre surgical) but it's more out of not wanting drama from some mask taliban Karen. And it is better than nothing at all. 

I haven't had Covid yet, tho I think it is inevitable, and hope it's mild and doesn't recur too often.

I had a very bad cold last month here, my first in five years, the last one was in Phnom Penh. I picked it up at Siem Reap.

I don't like masks, but I did carry and wear them before the pandemic for use on packed flights trains and buses if someone less than a seat away was hacking and snorting their way through some bug or other.

You've no idea how skin-crawlingly disgusting that is until you're trapped for a few hours sitting so close to them you can feel their body heat!

Edited by Venusianhart
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

think members of the public have no right dictating to other members of the public to wear a mask or not, we should all mind our own business either way

I think that’s the key thing. There is no government mandate in Thailand anymore but some people now spend all their hot air whining about people continuing to wear masks. Why?? Distancing and hand cleanliness are arguably the most effective measures but even if masks have a marginal effect in reducing transmission people have a right to be able to wear them if they want to.

23 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That is so frigging weird, to ask someone to pull their mask down to see their face

It blows my mind how weird so many farang are in Thailand

Weird and disconnected, by their very cultural nature.

Not just in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Don’t let anyone piss you off. A lot of posters just try to get a rise out of other people for fun. If they annoy you just laugh at their comments and ignore them! And don’t try to tell people that you think and do as  a Thai does. That just sounds ridiculous because no nationalities are monolithic. There are as many different types of people in Thailand as there are in any other country.

Appreciate the backup

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronnie666 said:

Pooyings? What is that? No translations for that

Pooying means girl in Thai but I have no idea what his point is 😂

3 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Sorry but I don't think saying that, in general, Thais like to avoid confrontation is making an unfounded generalization 

It's the substance of who they are as a people and culture 

To then put someone in the uncomfortable position of asking them to take off a mask they chose to wear is rude, disrespectful and just plain weird

But to your point a bit

It doesn't matter if you are in Thailand or anywhere

Someone is wearing a mask for their own reasons, which you wouldn't know what their particular reason is

So to ask them to remove it, is violating their personal choice

How anyone thinks that it normal behaviour is mind boggling 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Asking people to remove their mask is werid and inconsiderate you mutt

They are wearing the mask as a personal choice

To then ask them to take it off is violating their personal choice 

Weirdos, to say the least. And that's being nice. 

Very diplomatic of you.

Edited by KaptainRob
Quote edited
  • Like 1