News Forum - 10 year old killed & 5 injured after pickup hits motorbike sidecar

Thaiger

A 10 year old child was tragically killed, and four children and a teenager were seriously injured after a pickup truck smashed into the children’s motorcycle sidecar in the Isaan province of Nong Bua Lamphu yesterday. Officers from the Si Boon Rueng Police Station were called to the scene of the accident on Nong Bua Lamphu – Chum Pare Road in the Si Boon Rueng District yesterday afternoon. They found one child dead, and four children and one teenager seriously injured on the road. The six were reported to be 14 year old Narongchai, 10 year old Sakkarin, 11 year […]

The story 10 year old killed & 5 injured after pickup hits motorbike sidecar as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Another tragic story relating to the horrific death toll on Thailands roads, how does an underage driver take 5 children on a sidecar in the first place?? 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Another tragic story relating to the horrific death toll on Thailands roads, how does an underage driver take 5 children on a sidecar in the first place?? 

Another tragic story relating to the horrific death toll on Thailands roads....... that would not have happened in the West.

• Like 3

The 69 year old pickup driver, Sophon Litpon, waited at the scene for the police to arrive. He told them he was on his way to a petrol station when the motorbike sidecar tried to ride across the road in front of his car. Sophon said he couldn’t stop in time and crashed directly into the motorcycle.

Police haven’t decided on whether to charge the pick up driver or Narongchai, who is too young to drive a motorcycle according to Thai law.

The pickup driver could face a charge of Offence Causing Death, Section 291, Negligence: Whoever, doing the act by negligence and that act causing the other person to death, shall be imprisoned not more than 10 years or fined not more than 20,000 Baht.

It simply amazes me how the driver can be charged with negligence in these cases.

Underage unqualified children riding motorcycles, the parents should be accountable.
Unfortunately, outside major cities, local public transport is virtually non-existent.
Many children couldn't attend school without the use of a motorcycle.

• Like 5

Its the govt fault ! Up north officials complained  several years ago that new requirements  for  passengers riding in the back of p/ u trucks was unfair and not practical !

Ultimately the govt authority caved in and appeased the local officials.

Every day thousands of kids ride on these motor bikes  while snubbing their nose to the rules!

Thai culture !

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Again enforcement is lacking. Kids should not be operating vehicles/motorcycles even in the villages.

As from today, the age of legal immunity was raised from 10 to 12 years of age.
15 years and under cannot be spot fined by the Police for riding without a licence or not wearing a helmet.
Those police on duty at schools are probably outnumbered 200 - 1 by young offenders.

Only the Courts have any power to reprimand children. TIT.
https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40015359

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, riclag said:

Its the govt fault ! Up north officials complained  several years ago that new requirements  for  passengers riding in the back of p/ u trucks was unfair and not practical !

Ultimately the govt authority caved in and appeased the local officials.

I recall that.
Weren't officials pushing for compulsory seat belts for passengers in the back of pickups?
The government backtracked after a public outcry at the expense of complying.

• Like 2

Unfortunately there will be no scientific analysis of what happened. 

It is a tragic characteristic of Thai road environment that the mix of vehicles is quite deadly.

One also has to question how effective emergency services are.

3 hours ago, Smiler said:

It is possible that this happens more often in rural villages than we would know.  Maybe there will be an update to the story with more information in the near future.

• Like 1

This is the way things are in Thailand, that is why these things will continue to happen. 

And one person does not see the point in commenting that it could not happen in the West. 

Until Thailand collectively stands on it's head and enforces safety laws nothing will change. Then they would need to enforce every law and it wouldn't be Thailand anymore. Nothing any of us can do about it anyway. 

1 hour ago, Khunwilko said:

Unfortunately there will be no scientific analysis of what happened.

No scientific analysis to identify the problem required in this case.
Young, unqualified kids with no road sense pull out into the road in front of an oncoming vehicle.
Scientific analysis doesn't cure sheer stupidity.

Look at the Khaosod website, where there appears to be a CCTV grab just before impact.
https://www.khaosod.co.th/around-thailand/news_7201793

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Prosaap said:

I not see the point if it happen in the west or not 

I do. Law enforcement turns a blind eye here and let’s it happen whereas you wouldn’t dare in the west and if you did you’d be soon caught and prosecuted 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

6 children on a motorcycle sidecar on a public road = accident waiting to happen.

Did the 14 year old know the road rules and was he responsible? In my village I see 8+ year olds pulling wheel-stands and racing with no helmet or protective gear. It’s fashion for these young hoons to modify their scooters and take off the mirrors so they have no idea who’s behind them, not that they look anyway. Where are the parents in all this? My 13 year daughter snuck out on the scooter, had an accident and lied about it. Now she’s banned from m/bikes until she has a licence. Sorry Thai parents but it’s called responsible parenting. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Nivram said:

The government is to busy worrying about Covid, instead of enforcing driving and road safety laws.

Govt don't give rats rear end about Covid they only care about power and the holyier than thou baht.

• Like 1

We have a 7 year old drive a samlor past our house every weekend or day off, taking his grandparents to their farming lot.  Sad but he is a better driver than both grandparents who have both run into our brick wall, ok in a straight line but that corner of our house gets them every time, even at 10 kph or less.  They have huge smiles when the actually make the corner without hitting the wall.

Farming is their life and livelihood, who wants to stop them?

There are pros and cons for this lax behaviour but sometimes it makes the world go round too.

Being righteous and applying western logic and rules don't and probably never will succeed in this country.

TIT

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, palooka said:

We have a 7 year old drive a samlor past our house every weekend or day off, taking his grandparents to their farming lot.  Sad but he is a better driver than both grandparents who have both run into our brick wall, ok in a straight line but that corner of our house gets them every time, even at 10 kph or less.  They have huge smiles when the actually make the corner without hitting the wall.

Farming is their life and livelihood, who wants to stop them?

There are pros and cons for this lax behaviour but sometimes it makes the world go round too.

Being righteous and applying western logic and rules don't and probably never will succeed in this country.

TIT

7 is a bit young but go to any country/farm type setting around the world and you will see kids driving vehicles/machinery at an early age

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Faz said:

No scientific analysis to identify the problem required in this case.
Young, unqualified kids with no road sense pull out into the road in front of an oncoming vehicle.
Scientific analysis doesn't cure sheer stupidity.

Look at the Khaosod website, where there appears to be a CCTV grab just before impact.
https://www.khaosod.co.th/around-thailand/news_7201793

Your attitude is outdated, archaic and is part of the root problem facing road safety in Thailand. playing the blame game and using subjective terms like "stupidity" have had no effect for 30 years.

I'm afraid the situation you describe has continues for 3 decades and has resulted in no improvement, only escalation in road deaths.

Amateur analysis of videos has no place in addressing road safety issues.

Edited by Khunwilko

49 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

Your attitude is outdated, archaic and is part of the root problem facing road safety in Thailand. playing the blame game and using subjective terms like "stupidity" have had no effect for 30 years.

I'm afraid the situation you describe has continues for 3 decades and has resulted in no improvement, only escalation in road deaths.

Amateur analysis of videos has no place in addressing road safety issues.

My attitude is realistic and witnessed first-hand daily driving the roads of Thailand, not that of some fantasist imposter driving the roads of Devon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

My attitude is realistic and witnessed first-hand daily driving the roads of Thailand, not that of some fantasist imposter driving the roads of Devon.

"fantasist imposter" - please explain this comment.

I've driven further than you in Thailand probably for a longer period. I also have a background in road safety.

I'm not "fantasising" I'm drawing on years of scientific papers and reports on road safety.

your inability to even look at the photo and your baseless and subjective comments show you have no real understanding of the topic.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

"fantasist imposter" - please explain this comment.

I've driven further than you in Thailand probably for a longer period. I also have a background in road safety.

I'm not "fantasising" I'm drawing on years of scientific papers and reports on road safety.

your inability to even look at the photo and your baseless and subjective comments show you have no real understanding of the topic.

Some of us drive around Thailand with eyes wide open analysing everything we see and discuss incidents from a practical stance, not using Euro centric scientific papers to address Asian societal standards.  If you stepped off your high horse and took the same approach you'd likely agree with Faz's analysis.

As Moderator: your Report has been analysed by a panel of expats using democratic process and is rejected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1